BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have had luck with about every other lure there is, but just get confused when it comes to how to fish a bucktail, so I have given up on them. Someone please tell me the best way to fish them from the surf, sods and kayak/boat. I am guessing I should fish it pretty slow tipped with something? Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Anytime you use a bucktail the idea is to get the lure pulsing. When deer hair is used,deer tail is hollow and by jigging the lure gently the lure pulse's which in turn attracks the bite.
Keeping it as close to bottom as possible and jigging you will get bites on the drop back
That is how I do it and I use bucktails 90% of the time and have caught a couple of fish from time to time

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Good one,I read your answer before I looked at your handel.Caught a 17.5 today on a bucktail tipped with squid and spearing,from a rod holder.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
In the surf I've done well with a bucktail with a a twister tail attached just by casting it out and reeling it in, no bottom bouncing. Many strikes have come on the first couple of turns of the reel. The nice part about a bucktail is that you can cover the entire water column. I like to fish them in rough water and current.

Last year when fishing the rips we used a large bucktail with a twister tail attached as a weight about 2 feet in front of a live eel. We caught just as many stripers on bucktail as we did on the eels. It's hard to believe that a striper would pass up a live juicy eel to hit a bucktail but they did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.