BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok goin fishin this spring for a week . you think nj grinds money out of you ,well in order to buy a fishing license you need a "outdoor card" and then buy youre fishing license!!??. i looked all over there website and cant find out what exactly this card is for or what it does,but its another 10bucks on top of license.anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had to get one last summer to fish in Canada and get my license. I think it is a general national registry that opens the door for any license - fishing, hunting, trapping, gun etc. I will have to check but I think it is a one-time thing or is good for several years. I think locals have to do it too.

Where do you fish in Canada? I am looking for an area of good fishing that isn't too far from our area here. I go up with guys from the Midwest where we have a cottage and that drive is too far from here.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Where do you fish in Canada? I am looking for an area of good fishing that isn't too far from our area here. I go up with guys from the Midwest where we have a cottage and that drive is too far from here.
Rich, if those guys are from the Midwest, would you be fishing Lake of the Woods? It extends to Canada, outstanding fishing, but a helluva drive from here...

My girlfriend has family that has a cabin on that Lake, hope to finally fish it next year.

We used to do a Canada trip every year....
Favorite haunt is Quebec, about a 11 hour drive from NJ.
IMO much better fishing than Ontario...the pike and walleye are bigger and meaner on some of the vast Reservoirs there, and there are trophy "catch and release" lakes only at some of the other outposts....if you want true trophy fishing IMO there is no better opportunity for our area, unless you are willing to go further W to Saskatchewan.

Some of the areas you guys might want to Google are La Verende reserve, or the Gouin Reservoir - one of the biggest reservoirs in the area, and the feeder lakes and coves to that Reservoir are such that you could fish them for years and never get bored....

If you want bigger fish, think remoteness, either fly-in (expensive) or drive down a dirt road to save $$. We were always on a budget, took the European Vs the American plan, and were used to driving 30 miles down the dirt roads to get to the best fishing.

Do a google Map search of the Verende or Gouin, if you love fishing you will be drooling.

And GWH, as to planning your trip, if I were spending my money on that trip, I would make sure that date is a bit after ice out. If they have a bad winter you will be fishing in the coldest water and the fishing will not really have turned on yet.

There is also the issue of the black flies and the mosquitoes,,,which show up as early as May...so IMO you want to look for the window, about 2 weeks after historical ice out, and about 2 weeks before the flies show up.

good luck, let us know how ya do, and post some pics if you go. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im goin up on june 6th. ontario with a bunch of friends. desert lake. i havent left nj in a few yrs . gonna have fun no matter what. just couldnt understand y you need an outdoors card.its like a license to buy a license, like our hunting here lol. u neep permits for everything and soon youll need a permit to carry a permit lmao.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Great white, it's one of the ways they chisel the people who come from out of the province to fish. There is also pretty high tax they add to some things, it may even be added to the licensing fee, called the VAT (value added tax?) or something like that. I may not be quoting the exact name, maybe someone else can confirm or expand on that.'

Anyway, they say you can apply for a refund of that particular tax, but with all the paperwork involved, we never did.

Just another example how they squeeze additional dollars out of sportsmen coming into their province....

And realistically, it makes good economic sense for them. Although I hated the fees, we paid them anyway,,,what are ya gonna do, they kind of have ya in a bind if you want to fish there.

If you think about it, instead of NJ residents paying for the saltwater registry (which is now free but will eventually cost $$), maybe they should apply the same principles here....I'm not looking to penalize the out of state guys, but why should our residents pay $$ for a SW registry...we pay enough taxes to live here...and if we need to generate revenue, why not do what Canada does?

I know that won't be a popular idea, and it will offend some, but in these tough times we have to think of different ways to generate revenue, and I for one am sick of all the high costs of living in this state.

For example, if you lived in Delaware and just came to NJ to fish, your costs of living...property taxes, car insurance, etc, would be about 1/3 of what it costs most of us to live in NJ.....Just my ,02.

Good luck on your trip, take lots of pics...:thumbsup:
And bring some dead frozen sardines in a cooler with ya, (or if you have a minnow trap expand the holes, throw in your local stream and bait it to get some sucker fish) if you have the patience you'll get the biggest pike that way.. fishing dead fish on the bottom...make sure you don't bring in any live bait as Quebec doesn't permit it, not sure about Ontario. They will sell you leeches but won't allow you to bring in any yourself for eco-habitat reasons.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Dark Skies, thanks for the tips. I'll check it out. We stay in the Pickeral Falls area and fish significantly on Lac Seuel. We definitely do drive for miles pulling the boat to secluded lakes that have smallies as big as footballs. It is an amazing fishing experience for this NJ guy. One day we fished for northerns exclusively because we had enough walleye in the fridge from the day before. The 4 of us boated/released about 80 northern. The best fun is when a big northern gets off the line and the other guys cast right into that spot and hook the northern again. They strike at anything when they are feeding.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
ok goin fishin this spring for a week . you think nj grinds money out of you ,well in order to buy a fishing license you need a "outdoor card" and then buy youre fishing license!!??. i looked all over there website and cant find out what exactly this card is for or what it does,but its another 10bucks on top of license.anyone have any idea?
Read the regs for the waters your on. Each one could have different regs.

It's been some time since I've been in canada fishing, but if memory serves well. If you buy live bait you must have a receipt for it and you must buy it from the water area you fish it with. You can't take bait from yesterday from one body and use it today on a different.

Also check fish amount regs, they can be strict with the species and quanity you can take per day, per angler, or per total overall.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Remember to cross the border you need a passport maybe not to get into Canada but to get back in the US you do.The outdoor card was created to stop people from using fake license for taking of game and fish.I've been going since the early 90's and it has changed.Don't get caught with alcohol in your boat big fine,don't get caught with to many fish,even bigger fine.Allot of the wilderness areas have different regulations then the waters near civilization.As far as bait you can take salted minnows across the border but you can't take live bait into the country.Usually the camp will provide bait either for sale or as part of your package cost.

BTW Rich you need a special license to trap minnows and catch bait.If you get caught with minnows,it is a really steep fine.

We go to a place in NE Ontario it takes 14 hours from here in PA.Big Walleyes!!!Smallmouth,and pike.Lake trout too.

Here's a couple of 30"+ walleye's!Caught on different trips by my brother.

FC :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
grtwhthunter/fisherman

first off enjoy the scenery it is beautiful up there !! we go every year last week of july to otter lake which is 5 mins away we go to desert lake for soft serve ice cream and swimming area

as far as the card i belive when i got it it was free i cannot remember but last year the 7 day conservation license was $28.27 passports are a must as of last year ...

desert lake has pike, largemouth bass, smallmouth , as well as the usual panfish i do not know if it has walleye but does have lakers spent a week on it at snug harbor in october too wi#dy to fish 4 out of 6 days but hit smallies on some of the deeper shoals there
they do have a website too
baitfish you are not allowed to bring in live as well as worms in dirt they will turn you away crazy laws ...

we use artificials a lot any zoom super flukes as well as plastic worms and creature baits work great ..

also try using topwater frogs in the lily pads doesnt have to be early morning for the frogs but have had our best luck with poppers in the morning and evening

if you are in the mood to try different lakes i may suggest otter lake about 3 miles from desert lake there is a small launch and you pass through a huge tube to get to it but its a very good lake for pike and largemouth or loughboro lake near the city of kingston, they also have a cool store called canadien tire amazing to see a whole wall of nothing but hockey sticks and how much they cost !!

sorry i am rambling but want to help ya out with stuff

one of the biggest things i learned from going up there (this is my 11th year) is to fuel up before entering canada anything you use fuel for! gas prices are higher in canada we stop in watertown or just before the bridge into canada for fuel and gas you will pay over $4 a gallon in canada for regular unleaded ... beer get at the duty free too, as its $40 per case in syndenham if you drink ...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Nice thread on Canada with a lot of useful info. My group in Iowa had been fishing Canada for a few years when I was able to fill a vacancy. Definitely try to NOT buy gas and/or beer in Canada. Also, where we fished with our conservation licenses, we were allowed 2 walleye per person and there were specific slots for size of the keepers. You are not allowed to put fish in a livewell and replace them with bigger/better catches. If you keep it, you keep it. Also, no alcohol is allowed on a boat in Canada!

On one occasion, we saw a boat with two guys in it heading toward us on a cloudy day . As it got closer, we were wondering about it because it had no special markings. When it approached our boat, we realized it was the Fish and Game police (??). They were fully armed(!) but professional and identified themselves. They did not get into our boat but secured their boat to ours. We had to let them look into all the covered containers. They were checking for fish and beer....so beware.

We use artificials 100% and never live bait.

I would love to learn of an area to fish in Canada closer to the East coast here. Then I could go with buddies from here and also my friends in Iowa.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the beer thing in boat will b hardest part lol. the guys im goin with been goin for a long time so they know the deal. we will b buying beer rite near border and claiming it and paying xtra taxes cause the amount these guys bring is scary.lol. no live bait will b used so that wont b problem. i can read it now guys from JERSEY BUSTED ON DESERT LAKE WITH ABUNDANT AMOUNT OF BEER IN VESSEL.LOL. NAH IM SURE WELL B RESPECTFUL OF THERE LAWS AS THEY R HERE EVERY SUMMER. GEEZ HATE TO GET STUCK THERE .LOL

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Great white. Look into powerteam lures texas rig jigs. We crushed em with them last year.

·
Registered
843 Posts
if i am not mistaken, having the card gets you a discount on your license. over the years the card is valid, if you go every year, you ultimately wind up paying a little less. plus it is convenient. no need to fill out forms every year. just scan the card and your done.

have fun up there! i go every year up to the ottawa river. the fishing is just silly. large smallmouth bass in serious numbers. big northern pike. tasty walleyes. and the odd musky or sturgeon. and you cant beat a night at the camp fire with a few molson canadians to end the day. just make sure you bring enough bug spray, remember, the mosquito is the national bird up there, and the black fly isnt far behind!

heres a few pics.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would love to learn of an area to fish in Canada closer to the East coast here. Then I could go with buddies from here and also my friends in Iowa.
RR I have been fishing the lakes just outside of Westport Ontario which is not that bad of a trip. From my place in Delco PA 8 1/2 hours driveway to cabin door that includes a breakfast stop just above Syracuse at the Grist Mill (they also have gas pumps) and a stop at the duty-free store. Plenty of places to stay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts