and the big ones smoked. I got into a blitz
last October on Island beach state park
and got em from 13 to 17 1/2 lbs. It was
awsome for about 2 hrs.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
As my username suggests I love catching Blues:thumbsup:

There is nothing better than getting caught in an all out blitz!:)

I have two cookbooks dedicated to nothing but bluefish recipes and I've tried many of them but have never really acquired a taste for them. Some of the recipes were'nt bad but I'd much rather eat Fluke.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Love blues large and small. One of the most enjoyable outings I had last year was along a quiet piece of sod with a light spinner, a 1/2 oz Hopkins and a gigantic school of cookie cutter 1 1/2 lb blues. Catch and release for 2 hours with the little monsters was an absolute blast. I like them a little larger for eating.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Love catching blue fish........never been in an all out blitz, Bluefish take me back to being a kid again. My first memories of salt water fishing involved senator 4/0's and dragging ponytails, plainers off the cleats and catching slammers untill my arms hurt. We would be cracking TI just as it was getting light enough to open her up....and back at the dock with the box stuffed by 10 am.......those were the days. That damed hand line and plainer accounted for more bluefish than i could count.....The only time i despise blue fish is when they get too thick while sharking, it does get a bit tiresome rigging mack after mack only to have the body snatchers half the baits 20' off the transom......sure we put a live one out and put a fillet out but they are freaking cannibals and the fillets dont even get too far.....so i guess its a love hate relationship:D

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I don't like to eat them, but I love to catch them. many a day has been saved by hitting a school of blues.

One of my favorite things is to take someone that has never caught one before and look at their faces when they see the kind of battle they put up for their size. I took a buddy that only fished freshwater once, he just sat there and hook his head after a battle with a 12# chopper.

And if you really need to punish yourself, get a flyrod. A big bluefish on the fly is just about the most underrated battle in the world.

They can get a little annoying when trolling for though....

·
Banned users
6,340 Posts
They are tons of fun to catch, I do not eat them, I usually keep a couple of smaller one around 1-2 lbs for bait, they make great strip baits for flounder, thats about all I ever keep but love catching them:wave:

·
Registered
827 Posts
On the beach, off the beach, and offshore the Bluefish are everywhere.

Really cost me $$$$$ when trolling shad rigs for bass.

Light tackle when its a slow day is fun catching Blues I will admit.

My Cousin begs me to bring some home for her & her kids an they will eat any size blue all season long. I tried but can't acquire a taste for them..

Bluefish/Blue Shark :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I also love catching and eating blues. After fishing for 40 years and chasing all the gamefish I could I still enjoy bluefishing.

I never tire of catching those toothy sons of ##%$#%. Bluefish are the gladiators of the sea... even the small ones!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
love catching blues and here's my recipe for the best tasting dish

1-small blue fillet
1-medium onion chopped
1-clove garlic minced
1- red bell pepper diced
1-can diced tomato and chili's
1- tsp cayane pepper
salt and pepper to taste
set oven to 350---lay filet on bottom of pan layer all other ingredients over bluefish..
while baking cook 1 1/2 cups of spanish rice
when fish is done __THROW AWAY THAT NASTY TASTING BLUEFISH and take all other remaining ingredients and mix with rice----ENJOY!!!LOL:D:D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I love catching Blue. Hate eating them. Nothing better than going out at night on your boat or a party boat chumming and chunking blue. And catching like 15-25 blues.

When im on my boat and its a slow day either in the fall or spring run i wont mind a blitz of blues or finding a big school of them and jigging.

But when i know there are bass in the area and all i can find are the blues they get annoying. But still fun.

Last November i had a double header of 9 and 10 lb blue, jig/teaser combo. What a fight. It was on my abu 5600 and MH 15-40 custom rod. That thing was bent all the way down.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I love catching them, great fun for the kids. The biggest smile I have ever seen on my nephews face was when he fault one for 20 mins and landed it all by himself. Eating them however is a different story, I have not yet acquired that taste. I will keep a few each time I get into them, they are the BEST crab bait I have ever used. Great to load up the crab trap or for the kids to use on the hand lines at the dock.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I usually spend a night messing around with them when they first show up and you bang one on every cast, but after that I will never target them specifically unless I am looking for snappers.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Catch em from spring to fall.. pound for pound one of my favorite fish to catch.. I won the bluefish category in the Absecan Bay tourney last spring..And here are some oil cans we got into while trolling for Stripers..It does suck when you run 40 miles off for Tuna and all you get are blues..

I like to make nuggets.. cube em up 1" squares roll them in seasoned flour then dip in egg and I like to then roll them in Colonna Hot'n Spicey bread crumbs. fry them in butter until golden brown. dip them in a little wasbi and you are good to go. they are even good cold when you cook them like that..

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Spring Time Bay invasion of Blues I can't Wait.

The Blues that come into the bays and estuaries in the spring are probably some of the fiersest fighters We catch all season long. They are a great starter species to catch because they come in so ravenous and will take just about anything you throw at them. These early spring fish are the only ones I eat, because they haven't had a chance to aquire that oily taste from feeding on adult bunker yet. DELICIOUS BBQed in foil...

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Bleed them then ice them up reel good. We beer batter the filets and they taste great. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.