BASS BARN banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Like stated earlier eat the smaller ones and smoke the bigger ones.Was just talikng to someone about eating blues and he suggested cooking it and making fish cakes with the bigger ones.Sounds good.I will have to try that this season.:)

Don

· Registered
4,055 Posts
bleed them , fillet them out real good cut the lat line out as best as possible. let them sit in a salt water brine for about an hour, Than marinade them in wishbone Italian dressing. and than slow cook them on a hickory plank on the grill . the meat will turn a slight shade of grey , once it is done throw the meat away and eat the plank.:DJust kidding, actually slow cook them on the open fire with nothing between the fillets and the fire , so the oils can drip out of the fish , once they are done the meat will be a light shade of grey. and they are very tasty this way. Other than that I have never had any luck cooking them. As for catching them . It is OK , but i don't target them , so catching them is just an annoyance for me.

· Registered
766 Posts
Fish them and enjoy it for the 1st hour.Eating the small fillets of 2-3 lbrs. is okay as long as you do not freez em,can use them in fish cakes with the good stuff..Use the beater tackle on em and catch and release. Fun with the kids and quest and thats it.

· Registered
1,968 Posts
Bled well, with the majority of the lateral line trimmed away. I prepare mine as follows.

Saute tomatoes, onions, peppers, and garlic in a pan slicked with olive oil. Once the vegetables begin to soften, place the filets on top of the vegetables, cover and simmer until the fish first begins to flake. Prepared like this, my 5-year old and 3-year old sons ask for seconds.

· Registered
4,773 Posts
Love bluefish!! The small ones are a blast at night in CISP in the spring on a grub and jighead!

Big ones are a blast too, caught a few brutes flukin in years past and had some monsters working in the fall...

· Registered
972 Posts
blues are fun to catch when nothing else is biting, but they get old quickly when fishing soft plastics for bass and weakfish, especially from the bridges at night, or when youre catching them on mirrolures with 3 sets of trebles, have had blues dig the hook in past the barb into my finger, twice, both times with mirrolures.

Daytime though, catchin em off the rocks or in the backbay is a lot of fun, especially on metal or crappy lures you'd never use, they fight great and are super aggressive. Dont eat them anymore, though they really dont taste so bad... lots of cajun:thumbsup:

· Registered
3,004 Posts
I love fishing for blues. A few years ago, before my run in with the law, there was a certain, well lit area in a construction zone. You could catch 1-3 pound blues on almost every cast with an occasional striper mixed in. The best was one night I took my son there and he had a blast.

· Registered
2,998 Posts
I do alot of short evening trips after work ,with wife & son ,We love the action the smaller Blues give, nothing better then 3 rods bending, drifting the inlet or bay with family, sun setting in background.....then bring a few home for the grill...A little mayo, mustard, lemon,on top , grill , do not flip over or overcook, is way we like em.:thumbsup:

Joe R.
20ft Classic SeaCraft
Susie II

· Registered
2,658 Posts
blues are fun to catch when nothing else is biting, but they get old quickly when fishing soft plastics for bass and weakfish, especially from the bridges at night, or when youre catching them on mirrolures with 3 sets of trebles, have had blues dig the hook in past the barb into my finger, twice, both times with mirrolures.

Daytime though, catchin em off the rocks or in the backbay is a lot of fun, especially on metal or crappy lures you'd never use, they fight great and are super aggressive. Dont eat them anymore, though they really dont taste so bad... lots of cajun:thumbsup:
That's actually one of the main reasons I like catching them becuase they can be caught with lures that nothing else is really willing too take. If I have a lure in any of my tackle boxes fresh or salt and I never caught a fish on it or it is really beat up then I use it for blues and usually it works. :cool:

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I love fishing for blues. A few years ago, before my run in with the law, there was a certain, well lit area in a construction zone. You could catch 1-3 pound blues on almost every cast with an occasional striper mixed in. The best was one night I took my son there and he had a blast.

akozols:

Same place you're talking about was great
for stripers and weakies too. Now if you
can get out there without cops catching
you you'll find lots of wawa cups and trash.
It's a shame some idiots could mess up
a good thing.:(

· Registered
2,930 Posts
Someone once told me a recipe for bluefish.... put the fish with olive oil, mayo, onions, garlic and tobasco sauce in some aluminum foil. Throw the foil on the grill for about 10-15 minutes. After cooling, throw out fish and eat the foil.

In all seriousness, the small ones 18" and smaller are great if bled and filleted correctly. I ALAWAYS need them for bait, but can never seem to catch them when I need to . :confused: I use them for bait from about April til September, and I am sick and tired of paying $200-300 a season to buy them from the market.

· Registered
2,967 Posts
If you want to catch a ton of perfect eating size blues, try stemming the tide in the Cape May rips in September. Look for the birds. The blues will hit on just about any small lure jigging over the rip. Loads of fun with nonstop action.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.