BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one had trouble carrying on there fishing gear on the plane? I have a fly rod and plugging rod in travel tube with reels, does anyone think that will be a problem. I am going through customs as well. Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have never had much trouble. I do get pulled aside almost every time to get my bag searched when the reels go through the machine though..just allow a little extra time..

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have carried my surf rod with me onto the plane in the same tube type carrier on multiple trips to Florida as well as Mexico. As long as it's the rigid type carrier you shouldn't have any damage when you check it and you can put lures/hooks in it as long as you don't try and carry it on the plane. Once I tried to carry it on the plane with a new lure I had just purchased in it and they rapidly confiscated the lure.
Another option which I've also done is to call the resort or hotel you are staying at and see if they will hold a FedEx package for you prior to your arrival. If they will -just FedEx all your gear to where you'll be staying in advance. That way you have less baggage to lug through the airport.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah I would not put anything in your carry on bag, but otherwise you will be ok. I take my gear almost everywhere I go and never had a problem(Europe/Central America/USA).

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I flew to Florida last year on Spirit Airlines. They wanted $150 each way for my rod tube because it was over 80" It's $100 between 60" and 80".
Check your airline. I put my reels in my carry on bag and shipped my rods UPS for $27 each way.

·
Banned
99 Posts
I always carry on my reels, never had a problem. Most airlines will allow you to check a rod tube instead of a suitcase, up to 115", but I would double check with the airline you are flying. Just a heads up, some airports have a seperate conveyer belt for larger checked items. I waited at a conveyer at Dallas International for a half hour before an attendant, told me there was another conveyer. I almost had a heart attack.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
It depends on what airline you travel.
AA, Continental or Jetblue don't give you much hardtime when checking-in your rod case if it is under 7', but some airline like Southwest will charge you.
If your flyrod case is under 4', nobody will bother when you carry on the rod case to the plane. I intentionally carry on the my two-piece popping rods which is just over 4', so far no airlines bothered me.
When my rod case didnt' fit in the compartment, crew asked me to take care of my rod case and stored somewhere for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The TSA web site says rods are not a problem. They don't want you bringing anything sharp in your carry on, though (but you can take hooks, knives, etc. in your checked luggage.

I just traveled on AA with a Bass Pro Shops 3 piece travel rod in its case and a Shimano Calcutta 200 in my suitcase. I didn't have any problems at all. I didn't take any lures, but instead I bought them at my destination. I brought lures back with me but taking off and disposing of the treble hooks (I planned on switching to singles at home anyway).

I didn't go through customs. You might try the Customs web site to see if they have anything to say.

I prefer not to check anything valuable (like reels) unless I have to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes the tsa will give you a hard time about the line on the reels. They claim braided line can be used as a weapon. One time I had to remove the braided line and check it in with my luggage. Just depends on there mood.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the same issues with the 80" expensive surcharges on Sprint last year. Ended up getting two 3-piece travel rods for the trip which fit great in my checked luggage. Only returned with one - big grouper blew up a rod when the mate put it in a rod holder and wasn't paying attention. Had no problems getting my reels through TSA for my carry on both ways. Great idea 2dogs on shipping the rods down - I think I would definitely look to do that next time.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I never thought I would use two-piece rods as I always favor one-piece rod for tuna jigging. But the new airline regulations and the new opportunities of tuna popping forced me to use two-piece rods.

Surprisingly the new experience of two-piece rods for tuna jigging and popping has been delightful as I don't see any action differences between one-piece rods and two two-piece rods and it is quiet convenient to travel with them.

Unlike most American two-piece rods which have joint in the middle of rod, Japanese style two-piece rods have joint close to the reel seat position.

Here are pictures of my 7'6" two-piece jigging and popping rods which I carried on on the airplanes to Florida and Texas. I used one butt section for both rods to make them light.

Nice yellowfin caught on the Gulf Eeagle out of Port Anransas, Texas with the two piece popping rods I carried on.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Fishing gear on airlines

Gary Loomis had the best deal but never put it on the market ,ahead of its time . Two piece rods that accepted 20 thru 50 # class tips on same butt section! This break was at reel seat ,the very best place to have the pieces marry in my opinion! That was about 15 yrs ago , I should have grabbed one myself , but didn't! These were 7' rods live bait & troll!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts