BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be heading to Montego bay for 5 day with the women, end of Feb into March wanted to know if anyone knew about fishing there? anything off the beach i can cast for? Is it worth going on any boats there jigging for grouper or anything? Trolling whats good??
Dante

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Nuttin bro.... go for a boat ride and your gonna get ripped off... just chill on the beach

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Its a dead zone.... the reefs are dying and the region has been beaten to death... real crime.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Save your money. There was a thread on here a few months ago about the same topic.Everyone told him to save his money but he went anyway. He came back and said he should have listened to us :huh:

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I took an ultralight spining small jigs and metals and caught very small jacks from beach. Probably not worth the effort. More fun walking the nude beaches

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Dante,
i agree, with the rest, it is that bad. I was there a few years ago and an old man who lives there told me there hasn't been any fish around there for years.Over fished and too much pollution.
Go to have a good time and forget about the fishing, I just got back from St. Martin only to learn the real bite is on in April/ May

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ill be heading to Montego bay for 5 day with the women, end of Feb into March wanted to know if anyone knew about fishing there? anything off the beach i can cast for? Is it worth going on any boats there jigging for grouper or anything? Trolling whats good??
Dante
The major issue in some of the more prevalent tourist and resort areas is the dynamiting and removal of inshore/nearshore reefs to build the resorts. I could take you to more than a few areas where it is teeming with life steps from land but that isn't where you're gonna be and it's probably not worth it for you to go for a 5-day trip with the old lady.

As far as laying around and smoking Ganja and drinking, eating, have at it. Just remember weed is illegal there if someone wants to push the issue, and MoBay ain't as casual as Negril in public with it. It is dirt cheap if you meet the right person, then you'll have so much you can make "green tea", which many jamaicans use almost medicinally, but many tourists are gullible and pay to much for low quality and get to little instead of haggling.

The food in the resorts themselves while good, is dumbed down and often does not represent Jamaican dishes or spicing, so just go out some and eat some escovitch fish and bammy, curry goat with coconut rice and peas, real jerk pork and chicken with festivals, saltfish and ackey, etc.

If you like drinking rum punch ask for it with appelton estate or myers rum to make it smooth and strong. Ask for it with white overproof rum if you're trying to get annihilated, lol.

So eat, drink, smoke if that's your thing, I'd skip surf fishing in and around MO Bay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts