BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very excited. First, my wedding is next Saturday. On top of that we leave for Hawaii on Sunday. While there we are fishing on the Start Me Up out of Maui. The trip will include my future bride, me, and up to 4 other people. I am really excited to hook up with some nice fighting fish!

Has anyone ever fishing Maui? Tips on how to dress while there? Tips of where to go on Maui/Kauai?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, and good luck fishing the beautiful waters of Maui! Make sure to give us a report when you get back :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It's been 10 years, but dress was casual. Decent pair of shorts and a nice shirt would get you in anywhere. Lots of cool places on the water in downtown Maui. I fished on Aerial sportfishing. Caught 2 striped marlin and a big mahi. Captain and mate were excellent. Wanted to catch fish as much as the customers. In Kauai we didn't fish, but Poipu beach was cool.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Congats kmq102, have a great time..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats on the hitch. Tip number one is book activities early. Call the boat and ask for an activities agent. Watch out for discounts as you are signing up for a timeshare sales presentation. Not bad but can take 2 or 3 hours and you cant leave early or they charge your card for the extra dollars. If the new wife gets a little scrappy and wants to hot oil wrestle back in the suite nothing is worse than a sales pitch. :D
Maui.
Check out the road to Hana. Oh what a drive!!! The Haleakala ATV tour is cool. Take a helicopter ride.See the sunrise at Haleakala. Maybe do the bike ride down the mountain. Party it up at Charley's in Paia. Go to a cool little local restaurant in Haiku at Hana Hou. Longboard out in front of Lahaina harbor. Do a day trip on a dive boat to Molokini. Check out Tedeschi Vineyard in Kula. Check out Big Beach in Makena. Stop by the nude beach. :eek:

Clothing
You will need a sweatshirt. It gets chilly at 10000 feet. Bring shorts, T shirts, slippahs (flip flops),sneakers and a nice hat. Kmart in Kahului has nice aloha shirts for cheap.

The waters off Maui can be rather rough. Often they will run to the other side if Lanai to fish.
Good Luck!

Never been to Kauai but I hear the GnR tours are top notch. They own the Jurraisic Park filming site. Mr Robinson personnally guides you on some of the tours.

http://www.mauiatvadventures.com/index.html
http://www.gandrtours-kauai.com/gnrtor.html
http://www.fishmaui.com/
http://www.mauisurfergirls.com/program.html

PS From the GnR site
Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. No persons under 16 years of age. All participants must be able to ride an ATV. People with back problems or pregnant women (you might get this taken care of in Maui) :cool: are not allowed. Helmets, gloves and safety glasses are provided and must be worn.

One more thing and all your hosts will stress.
Dont leave valuables in your car.
Do NOT get to beach and put all valuables in trunk. The trunk will have a nice big warning sticker inside. Dont turn your back on the ocean. Rogue waves sweep unsuspecting tourists into the soup. If you do get stuck the only way in is to body surf right on the breaking waves into the rocks.

Okule Luna (Bottoms Up)

[ 09-25-2005, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: NicholasJ ]

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!!! We are staying 5 days on both islands. Doing the volcano bike ride. Reservations for Mama's fish house. Will schedule rest of activities once there. All set up for the fishing trip already!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have fun braddah. Mama's is set on a spectacular beachfront location. Charley's is on your way. You might get lucky and Willie Nelson will show up for a jam. Just past Mama's is Ho'okipa a fabulous windsurfing and surfing spot.
Aloha

·
Registered
698 Posts
Congrats. I just got back from Mexico on my honeymoon. My wife caught the biggest fish on the boat.... a 4 foot dolphin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts