BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on a golf trip this month to Myrtle Beach, SC and staying in Murrells Inlet area. It is a golf trip for about a dozen guys driving down from from the South Jersey area. A couple of us want to do some fishing after golf rather than hanging out at the hotel pool/bar. We backbay/inshore fish here at home and plan to bring down our rods and tackle. Offshore might be hard since we will be playing golf every morning and only have limited time to fish afterward. It looks like inshore or surf fishing could be the ticket.

I'm looking for any info that any golfing Barners have who have done the same thing may have. Like what's biting in late March? What tackle to bring? Best areas to fish? Small boat rentals,etc, etc?

I think the weather down there should be pretty nice then and that it would be fun to wet a line. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
You will want to look in the Little River Inlet area just north of Myrtle Beach. Murrels inlet is a nice area, but it doesn't connect with the ICW so inshore fishing this time of year might be limited. there are tons of guides in the Little river area.

You might go on the http://www.ncwaterman.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=3 board and ask. Things are starting to lite up down there. Might be a better idea to bail on the golf for a day and fish.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Inshore Redfishing is good and there are some Spotted Trout around. The fishing is better down in Winyah Bay than Little River and MI right now. That's out of Georgetown where I live, easy drive from MI. How many guys would want to go? That would determine which guide to recommend. The best fishing right now is in real skinny water that you need a flats boat for. The flats boat only hold 2 anglers. Go to this site and ask around and you'll learn all you need.

http://charlestonfishing.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=41

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Copied from another forum. The followup author said the fine was $500 and recommended not landing any shark in Horry County...He was from the area.

Sec. 5-7. Fishing from shore or pier.
It shall be unlawful for any person involved in attempting to catch or take, or catch or take any shark or other marine animals that may endanger the public from any fishing pier, or any beach within the unincorporated limits of shore or any coastal waters where one may fish within this county. Any person(s) who baits, fish for, or otherwise attract sharks or other marine animals that may in danger the public within one (1) mile of the beach or any coastal waters are in violation of this ordinance. All fishermen shall release at time of recognition any and all fish or other similar type animals that may pose any danger to any beach goers, sunbathers, swimmers or any other person where the fish or animal is caught. This prohibition is in effect from March 1st to November 30th each year.
(1) Any person(s) who surf fishes or fishing of any type from a pier or beach, at any time of the year, shall not fish in a manner that presents an unsafe condition to any beach goers, sun bathers, swimmers, or any other person and shall keep a safe distance from the for said.
(2) County jurisdiction extends to one (1) mile in the Atlantic Ocean and includes all beaches and Piers. (S.C. Code 1976, § 5-7-140 and § 5-7-150)

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I live about an hour north of Myrtle beach. The inshore action usually starts in early April, but this winter has been so cold, most of the locals think the fish will be a few weeks late.

Either way its worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you want to use a guide, let me know and I'll direct you to a GOOD one. It depends how many people you want to go with you who I would recommend. :thumbsup:

If it's you and one other person, I have the guy who will put you on Redfish in skinny water. He runs a Hewes. He will also accomodate you if you want to catch one on a fly. You won't need any tackle.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
If you want to use a guide, let me know and I'll direct you to a GOOD one. It depends how many people you want to go with you who I would recommend. :thumbsup:

If it's you and one other person, I have the guy who will put you on Redfish in skinny water. He runs a Hewes. He will also accomodate you if you want to catch one on a fly. You won't need any tackle.
Can he help them out if they want to do some crocagater hunting too? :D

I'll be down at the Power Plant in April some time we'll have to get a few drinks in town.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.