BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading Down To Clearwater On Sunday After Brunch , Anyone Know Any Drinking Establishments Or A Good Place To Try A Redfish Or Snook? Trying To Get A Charter Lined Up At The Last Minute. Thanks For Any Help

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Are you gonna catch a Phillies game, the tiki bar in the outfield is supposed to be sweet with players swinging by for a brew after the game

RyanF

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
going to see the reds and the yankees, tickets for the yankees are 2 rows behind the phils dugout,hopefully fishing on monday

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
There is a place called Sharky's down in Venice that is good. Just check for tackle shops in the area, they could probably put you in touch with a charter. My buddy lives down there. I had a great week with him on the bay last June. I'd hook you up with him but he is between boats. Sold the old and the new hasn't arrived yet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just got back from there

Just spent a week fishing and watching the Phillies March 1-8. Only fishable day was Sunday 3/2, and we chartered Capt Steve on the Fanta Cat out of Clearwater Beach (check out his web site: www.fantacatfishing.com ). We caught sheepshead, grouper (no keepers, there is an 8 mile restriction and inside 8 miles it seems as if the fish are too small), and grunt. We even had flounder, blowfish and a spanish mackeral. There was more than enough for dinner which was cooked up for us by Crabby Bill's for about $8 which included 2 sides. Other great restaurants were Guppy's, Salt Rock, and E&E's, all along the coast.
Phillies stunk it up but we still had a great time. Saw Larry Anderson, Wheels, Dallas Green and Jim Fregosi walking around the stadium, and my buddy got autographs by Kyle Kendrix, Chase Utley, and just missed Ryan Howard. All in all a lot of fun. We stayed in Indian Rocks Shores, about a 15 or twenty minute ride south of Clearwater Beach.
We only had 4 anglers so the fantacat was perfect, good captain, good mate, good boat. Hope this helps, Bob

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Flounder Bob. Hope this wind stops when you get here. I'ts been blowing hard for a week and no let up in site. I live 20 minutes north of Clearwater and if the wind dies fishing will be great as Grouper season reopened Sunday and there are lots of them on the move and other species are moving up the coast. We have three party boats in Tarpon Springs the Two Georges, Miss Milwalkee and Viking fleet that sail daily and are reasonable in prices. Good luck and enjoy your stay. Johnny D.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Sharky's in Venice has a fishing pier. When I was there 2 years ago I saw a King Mackerel caught that was over 40 pounds. The pier is about 30 feet above the water and it was interesting to see how they gaffed the fish with a very large treble hook attached to a very lonf LINE. When he got it to the pier it dropped right at my feet. It set the record for King Mackerel caught on that pier.

They have a nice bar, the food is ok, and the views at sunset are fantastic. Climb up the spiral staircase to get the best view....Gene

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
anna maria pier on the other side of tampa bay. LONG pier out into the bay which always produced for me everytime i went. there is a bar/food spot at the very end usually with guys playing music acoustically. pretty cool place. after that head south to longboat key and eat at banana cabana. caught a lot of sheepshead, spanish mackeral, and snook in that area. never been in march though so....

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
fishpro28 said:
If you can't get a charter there are some great party boats in Johns Pass...
Forget about John's pass I went and the fishing was horrible. Would be good for people who never fish, plenty of tiny grunts and squirrel fish for the kids not a decent fish all day. It seems that they fish the same patch day in and day out. For eats go to Tarpon Springs I had some grilled octopus that was fantastic. There may be some better fishing boats down that way and it's real close to Clearwater. The old Tampa Bay bridge is a fishing pier and you don't need a licence, the shop has rental rods and fresh shrimp, heard of some big fish caught off there including King maceral.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
www.captrichknox.com

He's great, originally from Delaware, and has fished out of Tarpon Springs / Anclote River for over a decade. He's not afraid to burn gas to find hungry fish or get out of the wind, and has two boats to fish bigger or skinny water.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks all for the info , got a trip booked for monday morning hopefully will do good but will fill you all in when i get back. thanks chef

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got back from clearwater

had a charter on monday caught a boat load of speckled trout ,redfish to 15lbs and 1 snook. only a 4 hour trip guide has us stay out about 6 because fishing was so good , plus put me in contact with an awesome restaurant island way grill mike alsott owns it . it was great plus the phils beat the yankees.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts