BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going down to Tampa for a week, I want to take my surf pole but know nothing about fishing there. What kinda fish do they catch there, what kind of bait, rigs etc. Any help wwould be great thanks

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I'm not a surf guy but they are catching plenty right now. Shrimp, sand eels and other small baits are catching big snook, drum and whatever else. A simple fishfinder rig with a 3/0 or so hook would be my choice by boat. From the surf I hear they are just outside the breakers, short cast maybe 50 ft. Striper plugs and Gotcha lures should work great too! Bring some sabiki rigs if you want to catch your own baitfish.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
yes florida has a saltwater license requirement.. you can get a non res 7 day...

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Clearwater Beach has a nice fishing pavilion, loaded with fish at night under the lights.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
yes florida has a saltwater license requirement.. you can get a non res 7 day...
There is now a separate shoreline license. For residents it is free, not sure about non res....either way I've never seen it enforced.

Clearwater Beach has a nice fishing pavilion, loaded with fish at night under the lights.
That is Pier 60, right as you go in on Causeway Blvd. Bait store on the pier and no license needed. Costs about $6 for 24hrs fishing, $1 to watch. Bring Gotcha's and sabikis!

A little south of Tampa is the Skyway Bridge (going into St. Pete). The old bridge was turned into a nice fishing pier on both sides that you can drive right up to your fishing spot way out near the center of the Tampa Bay. Bait and bathrooms there too.

Both the above spots are worth checking out. Do a google search and you should find plenty of recent reports.

·
Registered
185 Posts
if your gonna fish the beach and want to avoid the crowds at the public fishing piers get yourself some shrimp. Live if you have the means to keep them alive, if not frozen. Find structure!! Rockpiles, piers, mangrove, etc.... Most of the fishing Ive done on the west coast of FL has been from the sand or on a rock and once you find structure your money! In terms of lures I would get a few smaller sized jig heads 1/8 to 1/2oz and tip them with shrimp or gulp shrimp. the lady fish, mangrove snappers, snook cant resist. Also, ive caught spanish mackeral on a fast moving hopkins or castmasters. When I say fast i mean as fast as you can reel!! tight lines!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang man this sounds like its gonna be an Awsome time I'm going to try my best and thanks to everyone for the helpful infromation:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts