BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Speaking of line: What line do you guys recommend for throwing lures around the back bays for Stripers and Weakies? This HiVis, LowVis and varied color stuff drives me nuttz! The only thing worse is when trying to figure out the right line for freshwater.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Moss Green PowerPro 20lb is what I use.....

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I tried 8 lb. Fireline on my freshwater ultra-light setup. Hated it, too many tangles. I have PP on my surf setup and occasionally get wind knots. What causes wind knots?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use power pro for fresh and saltwater. I use to use fireline but it tangles to much and causes to much frustration. I would prefer power pro to anyhting 20lb moss green with a fluro-carbon leader on it.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
20# power pro although i use stren 8# hi-vis yellow with a 15# leader to fin-s those weakies.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey Rhinoscores.

The term wind knot is very deceiving. These knots are a problem for many using super braids. After a few casts you find a knot in the middle of your line. The problem is simple and the solution is even simpler.

Braids have a mind of their own. They don't act like mono and that is their intention. So called wind knots happen when you start casting and retrieving. you won't even notice that when your bail flipped over on the retrieve a loose loop of line formed on your spool. It may only stick up an eighth of an inch but it is sticking up. After the next cast the line unfurling off the spool will keep puling at the loose loop eventually pulling it off ahead of it's rightfull time. Now you have this small bundle of line that is just waiting to tie itself into a knot as soon as you start to retrieve.

The simple solution that will eliminate all so called wind knots is this. after each cast flip your bail closed then grab your line just ahead of the spool and pull tight. This will eliminate that loose loop and every cast will come off smoth and in proper order.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Originally posted by RhinoScores:
I tried 8 lb. Fireline on my freshwater ultra-light setup. Hated it, too many tangles. I have PP on my surf setup and occasionally get wind knots. What causes wind knots?
What Chunking said!
"The simple solution that will eliminate all so called wind knots is this. after each cast flip your bail closed then grab your line just ahead of the spool and pull tight. This will eliminate that loose loop and every cast will come off smoth and in proper order. "

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Red - C Me thinks you should stick with PowerPro, Fireline great on convential, but a spinner, what out IMO. It frays alot.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Chucking, thanks for the very useful tip.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
CHUNKING - that is

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Call Jim at James Tackle, tell him what your rod and reel are, and what your intentions are. He can tell ya what you need. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
power pro over fireline. i have used both last year. both lined took some time to get the proper feel but the power pro lasted alot longer and never frayed.also when the color on the power pro fades you can use a marker to put the color back in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts