BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not Jersey, but it's close enough that I'm posting

Had to spend the weekend in the city so I took a sabiki and a circle hook rig and went down to battery park. Fished at the base of the hudson right in battery park. Caught a shiner, and a mackeral looking minnow, and then a 3 inch cunner. Put the cunner on the live line rig. Fifteen minutes later had a huge run off. People were crowding around. Fought it for about five minutes until the line got bit off. From the chewmarks at the hook, pretty sure it was a blue.

Next day went back and was catching 10inch herring (or something similar with really shiny scales and same shape). They were jumping all over the place. Live lined two of them, but no takers.

People kept asking me if there were fish in there and I would reel in my live line bait and smile and say Yep!, not just old tires, but fish too!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Cool, I always thought that some fish like the city life....

Thanks For That NYC Report........

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice,
I have a buddy that lives at the trump towers on 70 and riverside and his building backs up to the river. i always wondered if people were catching fish there. Any advise on what fish are being pulled out of there and if its even work it to give it a try?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you get The Fisherman magazine, all the reports for the Hudson River and New York Harbor and Staten Island are basically the same thing you'll get off of Manhattan. It's all the same area.

Right now that means herring, bluefish, and striped bass. (2 of which I've caught... going for the bass tonight

The funny thing is that I just walked around and found a place where I said "This looks like a good spot, clean water, signs of life, current"
Both times I've fished there I've had action.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
there is a great documentary about NYC fishing called "Gotham City Fishing" It is a few years old but a great film. It runs, of all places, on the Sundance channel every couple of months...check it out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts