BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about giving Oyster Creek a shot on Monday. Has anyone fished it lately? Do you think its worth a try this time of year?

K9

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Can you get near it? What is the current alarm status? Is it still DEFCON 4 (Code Orange), or did they lower it back to the middle level? If it's still Code Orange, forget it. If not, you should be fine.

**By the way, it's illegal to fish the back bays for stripers from Jan 1 to March 1. I hope you're planning on winter flounder fishing or something.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoops. I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. Well in that case, mabie I'll try for some Rainbows in the Pequest if my guides don't freeze up in thirty seconds.

K9

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
The Pequest looks like it's at great levels right now (187 cfs), if the water is open and the guage isn't frozen over. I know there is some trick to making your guides stay thawed in cold weather, but I forget what it is. Maybe you're supposed to put wax on the guides or something to keep the water off. I forget. Either way, I end up chipping the ice off with my thumb, which hurts after a little while.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yeah yeah, officer, that's what I was doing, I was fishing for...um uh.....perch....yeah, that's right..perch.....with my 10wt....and a 20lb tippet....and a 6" fly.....on a 5/0 hook....in the middle of that striper feeding frenzy.... :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts