BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just booked a vacation to Punta Cana Dominican Republic. Was wondering if any barners have insight on charter boats for hire. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
http://www.mikesmarina.info/

I've been talking to Mike for over a year now after I told him that I was going to DR last year, but ended up going to the Puerto Plata side instead. However, this year, I will be going to the Punta Cana side in July and I've already spoken to him about my charters ;) Although his website mainly focuses on billfishing, he's assured me that he would be able to get me on a smaller boat (i.e. panga style) to fish the inshore reefs/wrecks for some bottom fishing as well as the flats for cudas.

I've also spoken to these guys back and forth, but their english is a bit rough at times. They do open boats for $100 (iirc) for trolling blue water
http://www.firstclassfishing.com/

Brian

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
I fished there..It sucked..but I guess they catch some Billfish. My poor wife had a really bad trip...Almost made her not want to go on a boat again. A real bad storm came through and knocked our electronics..We were lost on the water for like 2hrs until we came across another boat which sent us in the right direction! A trip that I won't ever forget!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
JerseyBrian said:
ended up going to the Puerto Plata side instead.
Hey Brian - I'm going there in 3 weeks. Did you do any fishing in Puerto Plata? If so, is it worth it? I've heard there's a guy from New York named Victor in Cabarete who runs charters where you can catch lots of mahi, sometimes yellowfin and whites or blues and that April is the beginning of the good season in Puerto Plata. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I was there a couple years ago and everybody I talked to at the resort seemed very disappointed with the various charters they went on and this was coming from people with no offshore experience. I have found over the years that caribbean fishing charters are based around the concept that the charter has no previous concept of what offshore fishing is about and they are content in driving you around in a wasteland hoping to let you crank in a baracuda or wahoo. Don't under any circumstances expect some top notch captain to solicit you off the beach.

I'm not saying you can't find a good boat but you must do your research before hand and you will usually find the best oporations are not native and they are typically booked well in advance for entire weeks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Quick update on my trip to Puerto Plata / Sosua - went out on Victor's 32' Chris Craft, against my instinct on 4/21 (day after full moon). Ended up dragging ballys around with no action all morning except a chicken mahi that jumped off. UNTIL we hooked up and boated a white that went around or a little over 100#. If anyone wants info on a great charter here for a very reasonable price, let me know.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
fished at la romana right next to punta.....avoide the locals with a better price than the resort.. the extra money is worth it .. my group went with a local for barecutta the capt we made the deal with got on the boat a 22foot c.c. drove us to a tiny marina got off and told us he was getting bait.. a 15 year old kid returned with the bait and said the capt was ill and he was taking us.. shouldn't have went but did...i wound up running the boat caught zip... people we met at the resort booked through the resort and killed em

·
Registered
35 Posts
Make sure you do your research, I went out april 12th I dont remember who is was with but we trolled the same washed out ballyhoo around for hours, they never changed the bait it was on a old chris craft boat and the cockpit was full of diesel fumes the whole time worst headache ever.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Flatsman said:
Hey Brian - I'm going there in 3 weeks. Did you do any fishing in Puerto Plata? If so, is it worth it? I've heard there's a guy from New York named Victor in Cabarete who runs charters where you can catch lots of mahi, sometimes yellowfin and whites or blues and that April is the beginning of the good season in Puerto Plata. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
When I took two charters out of Puerto Plata, both just trolled about 7-10 miles off the coast and only hooked up with a chicken Mahi and a 4ft Barracuda. Same Ballyhoo's for 6 hours. No bait change. The other boat landed a nice 4ft Bull Mahi.

I would rather try some bottom fishing or inshore drifting rather than trolling...but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just be careful who you book it under. If you go through a resort most likely you will have alot of people on board. I was looking to go out while there and the guy planning the trip told me if I can get 9 people to go I can go for free. The boats out of the resorts are usually a 31. So it was a easy decision not to go. They only seem to do bill fish down there this time of the year and they will keep everything. At least at my resort they did. Then the fish hung there all day in the sun. Nothing made sense to me about there chartering down there. But if you find a good marina who knows. Just really look into it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hookup16 said:
Just be careful who you book it under. If you go through a resort most likely you will have alot of people on board.
They kept our white - I wasn't thrilled with it, but expected it.

I went on a 70's 32' Chris Craft Commander with twin diesels, not through a resort but with someone who was recommended to me. Boat is owned by a knowledgeable guy from Long Island who spends a lot of time offshore here in our season and there in theirs. Tackle was nothing fancy, but adequate - 5 Aftco rods with senators ranging from 6/0 to 12/0 that were well maintained and spooled with fresh mono.

It was just me, my buddy and our two girls with the mate and Captn for a very reasonable rate - about what you'd pay for one guy to go on a canyon make up charter around here. They definitely target bills, dolphin, hoos and say the tuna start showing in May.

If anyone's going to Puerto Plata / Sosua / Cabarete and interested in a good charter for a fair price, email me for info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts