BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michael & Bob joined me on my good friend Sal's boat this past weekend.

Saturday we left Keyport Marine at 3:30 am and once we arrived at the spot the Fish were boiling.Bunker splashing all over and Bass and Blues were feasting on them.We snagged all the bunker we needed and set anchor.Within 5 minutes Michael had a 34" Bass on after that it was Bluefish city.The Bluefish ranged from 2-12lbs.We decided to wait it out and sure enough Michael caught another 34" Bass.We moved to the bunker schools and started drifting live and sure enough I hooked up & Bob hooked up with 34" Bass.Highlight of the early morning bite was I snagged a bunker and before I was able to reel it in a Big Bluefish grabbed my bait and the fight was on.I was using a light spinning rod & reel and the big chopper took me a good 20 minutes to land it.Mike thanks for waiting 20 minutes to gaff my fish.At 8:30 am the boat traffic got so bad we decided to go back into Keyport Marine and bring Michael back to the dock so he could enjoy the day with his wife.Bob stayed by the boat and I went to the bait Shop and bought more 10/0 hooks because we lost alot of hook's.The Bluefish were busting 60 lb leader.I also picked up 2 packs of spearing and some big squid.Round 2 off we went.I called my buddy on the way out who was fishing near by and he told me the bass bite died.I wanted to check it out anyway.We snagged 6 more live and on the 1st drift Bob landed a 20 lb Bass and I boated a large Bluefish.We took another drift but it was to crowded so off we went Fluke Fishing.We set up off of Keyport and had a blast catching Fluke.We ended up with 10 keeper's and about 15 shorts.Biggest fluke was 20".Bait of choice was Spearing & squid.We decided to call it a day at 5:00 pm.Total for the day was 5 Bass all over 34" (kept 1 for the grill) and 10 keeper Fluke.Highlight of round 2 was Bob caught a double header Fluke on a high low green bucktail rig and both were easily over 17".Never saw this before.Once we got back to the dock Bob Cleaned the catch and I cleaned the boat.It never rained but it sure looked nasty on the NY side from a distance.At 7pm we hit the Blue rock cafe and had some dinner & drinks and hit the sack at 10pm.Yes we caught some z'sss in our car's and at 2:45 am I woke Bob up and we met Michael and off we went again.When we arrived at the spot the bunker once again were busting all over.We snagged what we needed and set anchor and started chunking.If you used a Bunker head within second's you had a Bluefish on.The 3 of us must have boated 10 bluefish before we landed 1 bass.The Blue's beat the Bass to the bunker head's that we were using but the back of the bunker was the bait of choice for the Bass.I ended up catching 1 Bass and Bob got 1 Bass and a heck of alot of Bluefish on the chunk.We located some bunker school's and drifted live and I had a nice peeler on but it spit the hook.At 8:45 am we called it a day due to all the hammerheads running over the Bunker schools.

Art

[ 06-13-2005, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by dusky:
Art,

Back Bay stuff right ?
Water is getting real warm real quick back there.
Yes back bay.

Art

[ 06-13-2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.