BASS BARN banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Fished OC area for a couple of hours tonight... top of outgoing tide. Good current, a little windier than usual.. Saw lightning flashes offshore in the distance...

2 small hits...

Nothing landed...

I'm definitely putting my time in... they must still be up in Long Island..

· Registered
271 Posts
Last night/ morning behind OC.
Perfect anchor set at the bridge thats going away.
hard shadow line.
NADA.
Move to the other spot on the bridge thats going away.
NADA.
Tried the big bridge, the rips in the inlet, way to the outside, and then the pilings, back onto the flats, and finally pitched the sodbanks.
NADA.
My first skunk in a very long while....

Almost eery- saw one bridge runner with what appeared to be a good fish, but couldn't tell looking into the lights.
Very few pops, no visible bait other than shrimp, and no bird action inside or outside the inlet.

I have not done anywhere near as well as last year in back of OC, last year starting in late august forward, I crushed them regularly.

Am I the only one having a tough time back there this year?

· Registered
7,118 Posts
Originally posted by eelball:
One bass,35". It had a tag. Highlands littoral. The tag had some heavy growth on it. I'll let you know the details of it when I find out.
eel, I also had a taged fish the other week. Was it the loop tag behind the dorsal fin? The tag was nasty. The fish had never healed where the tag penitrated its back, and the growth on the tag trailed behind tearing up the fishes rump and the top of its tail as it swam. I figure I put that fish out of its missery. Seems like there could be a better way. Does anyone know if all fish tags develop that growth on them?

Action has been slow for me all week. Small Bass and Blues in the wash, the same in the back with some 15" to 18" table weakies on the bottom. I hear tell of Specks in CMC, none for me yet.

· Registered
106 Posts
Fished SIC whale beach area last night. Last 2 hours of incoming first hour of outgoing. Nothin. Couple splashes from bait but a rare sight. Water felt a little cooler maybe low/mid 60's. Very clean though. Wild sky at sunset.

· Registered
17 Posts
Good day all.
Fished just in side of the cuma lumps off OC on Wednesday and marked fish everywhere. Caught big croaker, better weakies than we have been catching(14-17in)and some hungry blues. Caught onj cut croaker, metal and shrimp popper weighted on an egg sinker
All returned back to the deep. Beautiful day out

· Banned
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...ATLANTIC NJ-ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY NJ-CAPE MAY NJ- COASTAL ATLANTIC NJ-COASTAL OCEAN NJ-CUMBERLAND NJ- DELAWARE BEACHES DE-EASTERN MONMOUTH NJ-INLAND SUSSEX DE-KENT DE- MIDDLESEX NJ-OCEAN NJ-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON NJ-WESTERN MONMOUTH NJ- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ATLANTIC CITY... DOVER... NEW BRUNSWICK... PERTH AMBOY AND VINELAND 1130 AM EDT THU OCT 14 2004
... MINOR TIDAL FLOODING IS POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY FRIDAY MORNING AND AGAIN FRIDAY EVENING...

LOW PRESSURE WHICH BROUGHT AN INITIAL ROUND OF RAIN THIS MORNING WILL MOVE NORTH AND AWAY FROM THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON. A SECOND AND STRONGER LOW PRESSURE CENTER IS FORECAST TO MOVE THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY TO EASTERN CANADA FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT. A COLD FRONT EXTENDING SOUTHEAST FROM THE LOW WILL MOVE THROUGH THE REGION FRIDAY EVENING. ANOTHER AREA OF LOW PRESSURE MAY FORM ON THE COLD FRONT AS IT CROSSES OUR AREA.

SOUTHEAST WINDS LATER TONIGHT AND FRIDAY WILL BRING AN ONSHORE FLOW. THIS, COUPLED WITH ALREADY HIGH ASTRONOMICAL TIDES ASSOCIATED WITH WEDNESDAY'S NEW MOON, IS LIKELY TO PRODUCE AT LEAST SOME MINOR TIDAL FLOODING DURING FRIDAY MORNING'S HIGH TIDE CYCLE ALONG THE NEW JERSEY AND DELAWARE COASTAL AREAS... AS WELL AS THE BACK BAYS... AROUND THE TIMES OF HIGH TIDE. RESIDENTS NEAR AREAS NORMALLY PRONE TO MINOR TIDAL FLOODING SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR NUISANCE TIDAL FLOODING FRIDAY MORNING. HIGH TIDE ALONG THE OCEAN FRONT IS FROM ABOUT 800 AM TO AROUND 930 AM. ALTHOUGH THE FRIDAY MORNING HIGH TIDE IS THE HIGHER OF THE TWO DAILY HIGH TIDES, THERE COULD BE SOME RESIDUAL MINOR TIDAL FLOODING DURING FRIDAY EVENING'S HIGH TIDE. THE COLD FRONT WILL SWING THROUGH THE AREA EARLY FRIDAY NIGHT, ALLEVIATING ANY MINOR TIDAL FLOOD PROBLEMS.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS WEATHER SITUATION... AND ANOTHER STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON....

· Registered
426 Posts
Out last night with a part time barner. We hit some of our favorite spots in the boat and were rewarded handsomely for our efforts! We ended up landing 15 Stripers, the largest was 27.5" and the shortest was 18". Everything, except 3 were on top water plugs (3 on live peanut bunker). We had numerous hits, hook ups and spits as well - pretty much non-stop most of the night. Also had a few nice sized Blues on the plugs.
Not a lot of bait around last night, mostly small stuff when we did find them. Nice lightning display out over the ocean. Tide was ripping out and there was a lot of grass mixed in.
The big bass got his revenge before going into the cooler: he zigged, I zagged, and ended up with a treble buried in the meat below my thumb - pushing the hook through was really fun :eek: . Cut it off and continued fishing - it was worth it.

· Registered
426 Posts
Yeah Pigman, I'm due for a sick day. We could do the back bay, ocean, then hit the Delaware - it's all starting to turn on! The Specks are sort of pick, depending on the tide. They're near the same area. Let me know.

· Registered
861 Posts
Took the boat out along the banks last night with
Casting Disaster and Rockdoc. We fished behind
O.C./Strathmere and found a lot of small bass.
We caught about 30 shorts, a couple slots and one
at 29"...1/4oz jig and white bass assasin was the
lure of choice. There was little to no bait, but
plenty of busts. What a refreshing sound! Water
temps ranged between 63-65 degrees. Also, the
blues have finally left. We only had a few all
night. We put some time in, fishing most of the
outgoing tide...8pm-2am.

[ 10-15-2004, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: earlybird ]

· Registered
5,263 Posts
eel, I also had a taged fish the other week. Was it the loop tag behind the dorsal fin? The tag was nasty. The fish had never healed where the tag penitrated its back, and the growth on the tag trailed behind tearing up the fishes rump and the top of its tail as it swam. I figure I put that fish out of its missery. Seems like there could be a better way. Does anyone know if all fish tags develop that growth on them?

YES!! It was as ugly a tag as I have ever seen. It looked big and nasty, with growth. I'm still waiting for a response on the tag. Whoever tags bass like that really should stop.

· Banned
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
eelball
Whoever tags bass like that really should stop
I agree, these taggings seem to do more harm
then good,especially for the fish.....
I seen it way to many times where the area is
very infected....

[ 10-15-2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

· Registered
6,423 Posts
Just a call from a friend who is fishing the inlet rocks and boated a 27" bluefin. Damn, I should have gone today. I told him that I will have to see it believe it.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.