BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports from
our Surrounding South Jersey Inlets,BackBays & Bridges....
By Boat or By Land- It's All Good....
Striped Bass,Weakfish & Bluefish etc...
As Much or As Little Information as you like
Even Skunk Reports are Ok...
BUT PLEASE NO EXACT SPOTS ;) ,,,Thanks NS

----------------------------------------------_
Singing The BackBay Blues !!!!
I got out the other night and worked the better portions of a 12 Hour In-Coming Tide in both
CapeMay & Ocean Counties.Mainly looking for Some
Weakfish,down South the Dixie (Southernly)Breeze's made it less then ideal to work my lures
and I took the Skunk.I fished with at least 4 other guys and I did not see one fish hooked up.
Although it looked like earlier around Sunset some Bluefsih moved thru the inlet...I then headed North and with even stonger South winds I
did manage to find some no-stop action with these
Razor Toothed Guys-

After I sacrificed about a dozen zooms and some lead I took some home for the table.These Taylor Size Bluefish I Think are the best eating if you
like Bluefish...I'll be leaving the backbays for awhile as my attention will turn to the Surf starting this coming Saturday for the NJ Angler
Magazine Surf Fishing Classic being held up on
Island Beach State Park,and then looking for some
Larger Bass into June on the Ocean & Monmouth County Beaches...

Still Time For Any Members Wanting To Join Me
and TEAM BASSBARN in our Quest To Bring Home the
Trophy on Saturday.. Let Me Know If You Are Interested...

Thanks, And Have A Great Fishing Week....
Later,,,

[ 05-16-2005, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
477 Posts
I drifted around jigging bucktails for a few hours Saturday morning. First drift I landed my first tiderunner of the year...33" @ 10 lbs on the boga. Nothing but blues from then on.

All fish were released.

[ 05-16-2005, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Casting disaster ]

·
Registered
114 Posts
also had some fun w/ the blues behind WW Sat. afternoon. Water was fairly clean and tide was running fast on the outgoing. Tried for flounder but nothing but blues on flounder rigs, bucktails, etc. Had fun w/ catch and release. Looked like everybody else was having the same results. Fish were in the 2lb range w/ one over 3lb.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Sent a slick of recently thawed clam bellies out and only got one blue. I'm not a fan of the frozen stuff and I am wondering if bass were taking a pass. Sunday AM in the back bay was tough and windy and I didn't get anything to take a soft plastic off a bridge.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fished SIC on saturday. With the wind and tide going the same direction in the morning, fluking was tough.I did manage 2 shorts but then I switched to a Fin-S for the toothy one's and got about 15-20 in the 2-3 lb range.The first blue of the morning went just over 6 lbs on the scale,also heard of a 10lb 3oz weakie caught on a fin-s earlier last week that was hanging with the blues.I'll be hitting AC in the a.m. and after work this week,I'll post some reports.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Originally posted by Gilly21:
Dr. Bass Where are the rest of the stripes on that fish???? :D
:D

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Originally posted by Flynn-S.:
Sent a slick of recently thawed clam bellies out and only got one blue. I'm not a fan of the frozen stuff and I am wondering if bass were taking a pass. Sunday AM in the back bay was tough and windy and I didn't get anything to take a soft plastic off a bridge.
Nothing like fresh right outta the shell.

Lots of short to close to keeper flounder in The Back. Bluefish all over. Have to start keeping some. There is tooooo many of them. Even if ya don't eat them take them home to somebody who will.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yakked it up behind OC last night from 10-1:30am. All in all 10 blues and two large herring that were jumping fools. Only lost 4 jig heads so that wasn't too bad for any evening with the toothy ones. Donated some of the plastics that I don't use too much. Nice night, low winds and no one out. Does anyone know if herring are in the tarpon family? They sure look like a tarpon and fight like one too. Keith the bagman

·
Registered
226 Posts
JGODH's lunchtime report 5/17/2005

Went to me normal nomoco jetty at lunch today to swim my new Tattoo's Sea Spook and my RM Smith custom Big Eye Swimmer that I received yesterday in the mail. They look really nice in the water! Unfortunately nothing hit them.. (Didn't really expect anything to).. Anyway, a guy set up north of the jetty and had a fish on a clam within 5 minutes. Funny part was he measured it by beaching it, laying it down, and using his wader boots like you would counting off paces for measurement. Not exactly the measuring tool you should use.. He then threw it into his bucket.. Good thing it looked to me like a slot or I would have approached him.. Didn't bother asking him about his budget for tape measures..

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
out and about last nite ,, actually we never moved after finding 6 trillion blues at our first spot,, we managed well over 100 fish ,, 18 to 22 inch all released,, and several large herring and a nice fat striper,, and after three hours i still had the same hairless bucktail that i started the night with ,,but went thru a ton of pinks ,, greens , whites ,, what ever would wiggle,, we did take some time out to try to get to the bottom for weakies ,, but none were available,, and blues began eating on the bottom also ,, so speed had little to do with it last nite ,,

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Screwed around last night behind Wildwood and had a blast with 2 to 5 lb blues. 8Lb. test and teeth make for some light action fun!

·
Registered
311 Posts
out behind OC.

Nice morning, right at dawn. Rigged up a 1/8oz owner head and went looking for trout. Second spot I went to, found what I was looking for. Set the hook and off she went. water was clear and shallow enough that I saw her swim by- man, they always look big in the water! Started heading for some cover, so I leaned on her a bit....

Straightened out the hook enough for her to fall off, which of course she did.

Drifted back and away , tied on a new head. Ran the electric motor back to the spot, and flipped it in there again. Second tap, and this time I take it very gently....until I see it- short striper. Well, in all the confusion between wind, tide, electric motor, and fish- I ran the spot over.

Rested the spot, but the tide was falling, and the sun was rising. No more bites, but now I know where at least one was.

Ate breakfast in SP.

Went togging for a bit but snotgrass and small fish made me give up.

Started back for the ramp, when I saw three guys womping fluke in an old thunderbird. I pull up to talk to them and they pull an 8lb trout out of thier box, it hit a fluke rig!

Had some darts, and some killies, so i tried fluking. Missed some, lost some, couldn't buy one! Meanwhile these guys are doing all right. I was schooled.

My boat was more affected by the wind, and just as I was getting ready to make a move they go to net a fluke. A ~6 lb blue crashes the fluke, and the guy catches the thing in his net- unbelievable! If I wasn't ten feet away I wouldn't have believed it- really neat.

Tried a couple more drifts, but the snotgrass really picked up with the tide. I was loading up my boat as they were arriving at the ramp. They were kind enough to show me what they were using- I gave them my ice- I hadn't used it. :D

Kind of bizarre day.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Fished tonight stone harbor area...9-1130....First spot had a barge right in my spot!..The guys on the barge were fishing!..Wish I had that job..no lie...They were standing on the side just casting into the shadowline!...On the other side their was this loud group of kids about 15 deep...well I say kids but they were probably my age..22..They were using clam and all kinds of other bait and getting sharks and skates So I tried a couple of other spots..lost a bunch of lures and finesses due to the bluefish..other than that absolutely nothing...going to hit it for sunrise tho...So ill drink coffee till 3am then make the trek over their :D ...Will also try a couple other spots to...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Fished last night CM area. Stiff winds put the fly rods down so my partner and I stuck with the plastics and plugs. Blues were scattered but some were in the 6lb range. Caught 7 blues and lost as many including a 5lber on the front hook and a 2lb on the back hook. Fished out going tide and right at sunset released a 8 to 10lb weakie. I was in such a hurry to take a pic and get her back in the water I forgot to lay her against one of the two tapes I have on my boat. Nice night, it's cool catching fish in water that is that clear. Bill

·
Registered
226 Posts
My lunchtime report 5/18.

Went to same spot as yesterday. brids were picking off stuff on top, spearing? Threw a crippled herring (spearing lookalike) and slowly drug it on the bottom. nothing doing. tried faster retrieve, nothing...

same guy as yesterday was setup north of me again and was throwing out bloodworms on a hi/low rig and got two shorts in about 15 minutes...

bloodworms still?!?!? c'mon water warm up so i can throw some plugs!!!! killing me

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fished for a little every day over the last weekend behind oc and of course, nailed the blues that happen to be everywhere, As for flounder I was only able to get 2 keepers and and about 8 shorts during the little time that i spent going after them. I found some 68 degree water back by 34th street of OC and decided to take a swim it's still a bit cold but great to see that its warming up enough to swim in!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Fished with wbrown last night on a Northern Ocean County beach. Fished top of the tide on the outgoing for about 3 hours. Landed two bass 8.5 and 5 lbs on the boga. Wbrown landed a short and a blue. All bass taken on live clams and the blue on da bunka chunk. All caught and released! Hard south wind, hardly anyone fishing, nice night.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen

The .......................SNOOKMASTER

There's a good story with this, will post later. With 2 snook I am up to two stripes, just a few to go :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts