BASS BARN banner

Fishing Reports 5/2-5/9 2004

2K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  striperaholic 
#1 ·
Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports from
our Surrounding South Jersey Inlets & BackBays.
As Much or As Little Information as you like
Even Skunk Reports are Ok...
But Please No Exact Spots,,,Thanks NS

----------------------------------------------

A Great Month of Fishing Comes To South Jersey
This Week,The Month Of May.Some Excellent
In-Shore Fishing.And With The Start Of Summer
Flounder Season Starting(5/8) the possibility of
A NJ/Grand Slam, Keeper-Stripers,Weakfish,Bluefish
and Flounder-Just Add Butter- EmEm Good.......

The Weekend Started off Pretty Good For Me
As I Picked Up My First Weafish on BubbleGum
Zoom.Saw A Beautiful Sunrise and the smell of
Fresh Clams.But Those Strong South Winds and
Snot Grass Kept Me From Finding Any Other Action.
I did see some Tiderunners caught and a Couple
of Good Size Bass Taken Though....

My First Weakfish of the Season...

BubbleGum Salty SuperFluke by Zoom...

Sunrise On Barnegat Light Beach.

Everyone Have A Great Week,Don't Forget
Mother's Day is Next Sunday 5/9...

Take Care,,,

[ 05-05-2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

See less See more
#2 ·
Strikes,
neat pics.This time next week I hope to be a contributing poster :D Looking forward to some fresh flounder and maybe a weakie or two. Heck, I'm even looking forward to donating bait and plastics to some blues ;)

#4 ·
Nice pics there Night...Took kids fishing in a trout tourny..They each got 2 big Palaminos...The fish were actually pretty fussy considering they stock them...We'll all and all it was enjoyable as my son is at the age where he is starting to venture out and work the waters like a little angler:)..I'm going to be hitting the salt some time this week and am looking forward to that..See ya soon....Pazman

#6 ·
Went out behind WW on Sat. morning with my 6 yr. old son and had a great time catching bluefish. They are thick in the back now. We were using bucktails with a plastic worm (added a squid strip when the action would slow). We also tried for fluke but only got one.
Good luck getting the bait past the blues when fluking!

Capt. Ed
RFA, JCAA

#11 ·
Back from Vermont this past weekend ,, got out tonite,, fishing was slow but managed some blues,, and sea herring or hickory shad,, water temp was around 55 on incoming tide,, but then i stepped on my thermometer and broke it so no idea what happened as tide reached the top ,, great to be fishing ,, lots of loons,, and bird action,, was in cape may area

#13 ·
snapper i was out tonight as well behind OC fishing for a little the rips weren't ripping in the inlet alot of birds working tryed fishing around the sand bars got nothing. got 2 blue fish after catching them and see there wasn't much else around besides them i hit up the in beesley's pt and got a load of blues and had a nice striper up to the boat but i didn't have the net and lost it depressing but ofcourse the night you forget your net these things happen! Hopefully this can direct you to catching some fish on your next trip!

H4L

H4L,FYI- I edited the Exact Locations,You Might
Want To In The Future Just Give General Descriptions of Area's, Thx For The Report.NS....

[ 05-05-2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

#14 ·
1 bass a short , 2 blues and get this 3 BIG sea herring tonight in the CMC back. Perfect conditions. All on a pinkie.

I don't know what the records are on sea herring but one tonight went 3.3 pounds 19 inches.

Stripping away tonight for the 8th.

#16 ·
Fished sod banks last night, and had some good luck - 10 bass and 2 hickory shad, all were caught on white bass assassin / teaser combo. 7 of the bass were slots and were caught at the top of the tide within an hours time. as soon as the tide started to run out, the bite shut off.

#18 ·
sebastian...it was nice meeting you! Congrats
on a nice night of fishing. It figures I decided
to head out for the outgoing. The bite completely
shut down when the tide started out and the moon
filled the sky. A friend and I had a couple
strikes on our first few cast, but that was it for
me. I also spoke with some other guys who said
the bass went nuts for an hour or so before high,
but then shut down. Does the full moon have
something to do with this???

#20 ·

Description?
The hickory shad differs rather noticeably from the sea herring in that the point of origin of its dorsal fin is considerably in front of the mid-length of its trunk; in its deep belly (a hickory shad 13½ in. long is about 4 in. deep but a herring of that length is only 3 in. deep); in the fact that its outline tapers toward both snout and tail in side view (fig. 41); and in that its lower jaw projects farther beyond the upper when its mouth is closed; also, by the saw-toothed edge of its belly. Also, it lacks the cluster of teeth on the roof of the mouth that is characteristic of the herring. One is more likely to confuse a hickory shad with a shad or with the alewives, which it resembles in the position of its dorsal fin, in the great depth of its body, in its saw-toothed belly and in the lack of teeth on the roof of the mouth. But it is marked off from all of these by its projecting lower jaw. There is also a small difference in outline, its head tapering more to the snout, as seen in side view (fig. 45). It has only about half as many gill rakers (19 to 21 on the lower limb of the first gill arch) as either the alewife or the blueback; and its upper jaw, reaching back only about as far as opposite the center of its eye, is shorter than that of the shad in which it reaches as far as the rear edge of the eye.

Under favorable circumstances its color, also, is characteristic, for it is faintly marked on the sides with dusky longitudinal stripes, and the tip of its snout is dusky.

Size?
This is the largest of our anadromous herrings next to the shad, growing to a length of 2 feet. A fish about 15 inches long weighs a pound, one of 18 inches, 2 pounds.

Habits?
Nothing is known of the habits of the hickory shad in the sea to differentiate it from its close relatives of the herring tribe except that it is more of a fish eater. Launce, anchovies, cunners, herring, scup, silversides, and other small fish, squid, fish eggs, and even small crabs have been found in the stomachs of hickory shad at Woods Hole, as well as sundry pelagic Crustacea. It will strike a small spinner or other artifical lure, and it gives a good fight when hooked. In the southern parts of its range it is described as running up fresh streams, with the alewives in late winter and early spring to spawn.[64] But it appears not to do so in the streams tributary to Chesapeake Bay, though it is found in practically all of them. This opens the interesting possibility that the "green" fish found in Chesapeake Bay, leave the Bay, perhaps to spawn in salt water.[65]

General range?
Atlantic coast of North America from the Bay of Fundy to Florida.

--------------------------------------------------
I found a couple of better pictures of Shad.

[ 05-05-2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

#23 ·
I believe it's legal to keep Hickory Shad in the ocean and backbays, just not in the DE River.
Dr Bass I'm pretty sure I know what you caught, but I've never seen them with spots either. I always called them hickory shad but others call them Ocean Herring, Norwegian Herring, and about 10 other names.
Either way you should get one hell of a flattie on those strips! :D

[ 05-05-2004, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Far26 ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.