BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports from
our Surrounding South Jersey Inlets & BackBays.
Striped Bass,Weakfish etc...
As Much or As Little Information as you like
Even Skunk Reports are Ok...
But Please No Exact Spots,,,Thanks NS




----------------------------------------------

A couple of Late Night 30" fish on plug for me
over the weekend,unfortually they didn't look
to healthy and now they are off to a Marine
Biologist for study.. :( Quess Where They Were
Caught??? :confused:

EveryOne Have A Great Week,Don't Forget
Father's Day is this Coming Sunday 6/20.
Take Dad Fishing ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,292 Posts
Strikes

This looks bad man. I have not seen anything like that South of you. This really seems isolated to your area doesn't it?? Any ideas on what it could be???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Ugh... my guess is it's either a parasitic infection or a chemical irritation... although neither sound great, I would think a chemical irritation would be worse since that means the waters in the area are bad...

I would also think that just b/c a fish doesn't have the manifestations of infection/irritation externally doesn't mean they are healthy either... i.e., is the fish REALLY healthy just b/c it LOOKS healthy or can it be ill and hasn't shown it yet? --> should we be eating any fish right now?

I caught a fish a while back that just had a small infected looking ulcer on it's tail fin, you would almost miss it...

Then you think...sure if it's an organism causing an infection, it should be killed in a properly cooked fish unless it produces non-degraded toxins.... but if it's chemicals causing irritation, well, those are absorbed in the meat/skin and don't go away with cooking...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We also got a good sample of a Very Infected
Striped Bass caught up in the Tuckahoe River
over the weekend thats being picked up as I
type...

Thanks Karen.......



[ 06-17-2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
had the boat out back of OC with the kids and the wife. saw some very healthy striper caught for the second time in 3 days back there all on the incomeing and on clams from boats. Pretty nice size to then over 32 inches the one and the other was arond 36 the guy had estimated. change of the tide was good for me and the flatties they were every where but only a handful were keepers. about 5 keepers out of about 25 caught all useing squid. Biggest was 18.5 inches caught by my son with a broken arm that kid isnt letting me live it down since mine was 17 .5 lol oh well back at it for fathers day weekend i think. :cool: whats the deal with all the pop ups now on here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
WAS IN FLOUNDER TOUREY ON SAT SHOWED UP EARLY TO FIND NICE POD OF STRIPERS HANGING OUT UNDER THE LIGHT AT THE END OF DOCK .CAUGHT AND REALEASED THREE BEFORE HEADING OUT .PINK FINESS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Fished the sod banks monday night on the falling tide. Landed 3 short bass (non-diseased and healthy looking), and had 3 other hits. Bass hit on a white teaser fished in front of a blk/purple bomber. The wind was blowing hard, and kept the current from really picking up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,108 Posts
Just a thought, OC Airport recently fixed all stormwater pipes (under runway) that discharge into the Bay, leaking fuel tanks possibility> Avaiation fuel has lot more additives that normal gas - now you have a discharge where none existed previously - just a thought

Another thought, Ocean City Research Station, next to the boat ramp, some pretty strong chemicals being used in that building, for testing of paint materials.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by Eric G:
Just a thought, OC Airport recently fixed all stormwater pipes (under runway) that discharge into the Bay, leaking fuel tanks possibility> Avaiation fuel has lot more additives that normal gas - now you have a discharge where none existed previously - just a thought

Another thought, Ocean City Research Station, next to the boat ramp, some pretty strong chemicals being used in that building, for testing of paint materials.
i WAS THINKING THE OPPOSITE- INSTEAD OF O.C. BEING THE CULPRIT i WAS THINKING MORE ALONG THE LINES OF THE TUCKAHOE AND GREAT EGG RIVERS-WHO KNOWS WHAT KIND OF FUNK AND SNOT MAYS LANDING/EHT IS FEEDING US!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eric & Matt,
I am thinking right along with you guys,,,
There has to be a link between both the condition
of some of these fish and the quaility of the
water back there...
Yesterday We Sent Two Bass and One Weakfish
to have tested that had to swim in those area's.
In fact the Bass that was caught in the Tuckahoe
River was in really bad shape, and died within
minutes out of the water.....

I hope to get some anwsers soon,and I will
let everyone know what comes of it.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
You want to see some pollution?

http://www.greategg.org/CMP_page_5.htm


"Great Egg Harbor River Water Quality"

Water quality in the Great Egg Harbor River and its tributaries ranges from very poor in the headwaters to good in the smaller tributaries. The US Environmental Protection Agency, in its 1998 index of watershed indicators, listed the Great Egg Harbor overall watershed score at 4, with 1 being the best and 6 the worst. This score is the result of combining 15 indicators of watershed condition and vulnerability. Point sources of pollution such as inadequately treated wastewater from sewage treatment plants, and non-point sources such as stormwater run-off, residential waste from pesticides and fertilizers, business wastes, antiquated septic systems, agricultural run-off, and wetland loss are largely responsible for the poor water quality."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Out and about with Big Rusty last night. Fish were few and far between. Lots of fish popping in one area, but couldn't hook up - quite frustrating! Got a few short Stripers in other spots on jigs and worms. Not quite the night we expected, but lots of fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by FizzEd:
Out and about with Big Rusty last night. Fish were few and far between. Lots of fish popping in one area, but couldn't hook up - quite frustrating! Got a few short Stripers in other spots on jigs and worms. Not quite the night we expected, but lots of fun.
I expected last night to be hot also. We had the boat out and fished the mouth of what seemed like every tidal creek we could find. Saw a few pops but took the skunk! Anybody else find the outgoing tide to be beat lately?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by bassvamp:
Anybody else find the outgoing tide to be beat lately?
Is It Sept./Oct.Yet ???
Dog Days of Summer are Here Already :(

[ 06-16-2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Rockdoc and I hit the sod banks for the last hour of incoming and a few hours of the outgoing. Found some intermittent busts for most of the night, but it didn't turn on like I thought it would with the tide dropping and calm conditions before the approaching storm. We both managed 3 bass 18" to 26"...got them in the hour before and after high tide. All caught on top-water plugs, black mirrolures and black-purple bombers and all fish APPEARED healthy. Harbor Nights - nice meeting you, I hope you faired better than when I last spoke to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
Originally posted by sunnydaze:
You want to see some pollution?

http://www.greategg.org/CMP_page_5.htm


"Great Egg Harbor River Water Quality"

Water quality in the Great Egg Harbor River and its tributaries ranges from very poor in the headwaters to good in the smaller tributaries. The US Environmental Protection Agency, in its 1998 index of watershed indicators, listed the Great Egg Harbor overall watershed score at 4, with 1 being the best and 6 the worst. This score is the result of combining 15 indicators of watershed condition and vulnerability. Point sources of pollution such as inadequately treated wastewater from sewage treatment plants, and non-point sources such as stormwater run-off, residential waste from pesticides and fertilizers, business wastes, antiquated septic systems, agricultural run-off, and wetland loss are largely responsible for the poor water quality."
Not trying to be a wise arse but isn't that report just a little outdated? The samples were taken in 1997.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,046 Posts
Got out last night for some top water action. About an hour before dark. Good tide, clean water. Went 1 for 8 on strikes. The one was short, but a couple others looked sizeable.
Scumers pt area
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
fished today in cape may area from 12 to 3 got one 34 1/2" 10.17 lb MALE weakie.two other guys caught weakies in the 8 lb range i left them bitting i had to meet a a barner before 4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Fished awhile tonight in the rain with my Dad. He landed two nice Flounder on hot pink worms, and I got a nice 30" Striper on 2 tone lime green. All action was after the tide turned and started out. Definately worth getting wet for.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top