BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports from
our Surrounding South Jersey Inlets,BackBays & Bridges....
By Boat or By Land- It's All Good....
Striped Bass,Weakfish & Bluefish etc...
As Much or As Little Information as you like
Even Skunk Reports are Ok...
BUT PLEASE NO EXACT SPOTS ;) ,,,Thanks NS

-------------------------------------------------

BackBay Action Seem To Break Out Again Over The
Weekend.I recieved several reports of Bass just going nuts at night in different locatons.And why not water temps jumped into the low 70's and with that comes many different types of bait. You find the bait you find feeding fish...
My buddy Ron/BassCharger went solo in the yak and picked up double digit Stripers on artificial
lures up to 30"'s...
Me,
I continue to stay to my plan and fish the surf hard during the month of June.. I hooked up with
Tim/TSStriper the other night on the beach over on LBI..We fish almost the entire out-going tide
with Fresh Bunker and Clams and it turned into a Shark & Skate Fest..My First Hook-up was with a Shark between 3-4',but No Striped Ones...
I then spent a couple of hours over on IBSP yesterday afternoon.The place was packed,lines to get in,lines to air up etc..I was'nt expecting
to much but it was a good day to just cool off
at the beach and I was rewarded with a fiesty
Bluefish for the Grille on my last cast and clam.

With July right around the corner I will be hitting the Surf a couple more times looking for a large,much more favorable tides and times this week into the weekend.And then the Dog Days of Summer Start.Already Looking Forward To The Fall.

Everyone Have A Great Fishing Week...
Get-R-Hooked....

[ 07-05-2005, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Fished behind Sea Isle saturday a.m.Managed to pick up 2nice weakfish about 5lbs each,on pink ice fin-s.Sunday I decided to sleep in and catch the change of tide, it worked out well.Took my wife and she caught her first striper,at 23in she put it back but is ready for more.Figured we would anchor and fish some shedder for possibly more weakies but instead had a total of 9 bass the largest at 26in.We also set our crab pots on Saturday and pulled them Sunday had a total of 4 doz. nice crabs.Went home fired up the smoker loaded up some ribs,steamed the crabs,roasted some corn, and grilled that bass,washed it all down with a couple cold beers.I wish all my weekends ended that way.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Question trd. If I bought a large crab pot and decided to leave it over night in a local tidal creek behind avalon would I need a license for that? If you do it what kind of bait do you put in the pot ? Seems like the frozen bunker you buy at the bait shop might not hold up well over night like that? Thanks

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Funny you should ask I just looked these up because of another post. You would need the $15 non commercail crab pot license. Bunker would work fine or throw a couple of freshly caught blues in there as well.

Taken From NJ F&G

Crabs
1. Crabs may be taken recreationally with hand lines, manually
operated collapsible traps or scoop nets without a license. A
non-commercial crab pot license is required for the use of not
more than two (2) non-collapsible Chesapeake-style crab pots
(see illustration on page 15) or two (2) trot lines to harvest
crabs. See page 15 for the non-commercial crab pot license
application or stop by coastal bait and tackle shops.
2. It is illegal to harvest or possess more than one bushel of crabs
per day per person or offer for sale any crabs without having in
your possession a valid commercial crabbing license.
3. Minimum size of crabs that may be harvested (measured from
point to point of shell) are as follows:
a. Peeler or shedder crab?3 inches
b. Soft crab?3 1/2 inch
c. Hard crab?4 3/4 inches (for sale)
d. Hard crab?4 1/2 inches (possession)
4. All female crabs with eggs attached and all undersized crabs shall be returned to the water
immediately.
5. Recreational trot lines shall not exceed 150 feet in length with a
maximum of 25 baits.
6. All pots and trot lines shall be marked with the identification
number of the owner.
7. All crab pots must be tended at least once every 72 hours.
8. No floating line may be used on any crab pot or crab pot buoy.
9. No crab pot shall be placed in any area that would obstruct or
impede navigation or in any creek less than 50-feet wide.
10. Only the owner, his agent or a law enforcement officer may
raise or remove contents of a legally set fishing device.
11. Crabs taken with a bait seine may be retained for personal use
only if the fisherman possesses a bait net license, and may not
be bartered or sold unless the fisherman possesses a commercial
crab license.
12. No crabs may be harvested from the Newark Bay Complex.
For more information, see Health Advisory on page 23.
13. Crab Pot/Trot Line seasons:
Delaware Bay and tributaries ? April 6 to Dec. 4; all other
waters ? March 15 to Nov. 30. The following waters are
closed to the use of crab pots and trot lines: Cumberland
Co.: Cohansey River and creeks named Back, Cedar,
Nantuxent, Fortesque, Oranoken and Dividing; Cape May
Co.:West and Bidwell Creeks and the Cape May Canal;
Atlantic Co.: Hammock Cove (Dry Bay); Ocean Co.: on
east shore of Barnegat Bay, that area of Sedge Islands
Wildlife Management Area enclosed by a line drawn from
the northern bank of Fishing Creek on Island Beach State
Park to the northern tip of the Sedge Islands (Hensler
Island), then south from point to point along the western
side of the Sedge Islands WMA and terminating on the
most southwestern point of Island Beach State Park.
14. Fish and Wildlife will issue a non-commercial crab dredge
license for the harvest of not more that one bushel of crabs
during the crab dredge season. Crabs so taken may not be sold
or offered for barter. There is a fee of $15 for this non-commercial
crab dredge license. Call the Marine Fisheries
Administration at (609) 748-2040

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
NS, nice bluefish.

TRD, that post made me hungry.

JC, i do believe you need a license when you crab with those larger type crab traps. as for bait use either chicken or mackeral. i agree the bunker(especially frozen) would not last thru the night.
Nick

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Like the others have said,you do need a non commercial license,you are allowed 2 pots per license.I use bunker,I put 2 in each pot it holds up for the time i let the pots soak (usually for a high,low,high tide period)I need high water to get my boat where I crab.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...ATLANTIC NJ-ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY NJ-BERKS PA-BUCKS PA-CAMDEN NJ- CAPE MAY NJ-CARBON PA-CAROLINE MD-CECIL MD-CHESTER PA- COASTAL ATLANTIC NJ-COASTAL OCEAN NJ-CUMBERLAND NJ-DELAWARE PA- DELAWARE BEACHES DE-EASTERN MONMOUTH NJ-GLOUCESTER NJ-HUNTERDON NJ- INLAND SUSSEX DE-KENT MD-KENT DE-LEHIGH PA-MERCER NJ-MIDDLESEX NJ- MONROE PA-MONTGOMERY PA-MORRIS NJ-NEW CASTLE DE-NORTHAMPTON PA- NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON NJ-OCEAN NJ-PHILADELPHIA PA-QUEEN ANNE'S MD- SALEM NJ-SOMERSET NJ-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON NJ-SUSSEX NJ-TALBOT MD- WARREN NJ-WESTERN MONMOUTH NJ- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ALLENTOWN... ATLANTIC CITY... BETHLEHEM... CAMDEN... DOVER... NEW BRUNSWICK... NEWARK... PERTH AMBOY... PHILADELPHIA... READING... TRENTON... VINELAND AND WILMINGTON 524 AM EDT MON JUN 27 2005
... THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME HEAVY RAIN DURING THE WEEK...

A WEAK SUBTROPICAL SYSTEM THAT WILL BE NEAR OUR AREA INTO TUESDAY, A MID LEVEL CIRCULATION TO OUR SOUTHWEST, AND A SUSTAINED FLOW OF TROPICAL AIR ESTABLISH THE POTENTIAL FOR A PERIOD OR PERIODS OF SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL SOMETIME DURING THE UPCOMING WEEK. THE WEATHER PATTERN IS COMPLEX AND DIFFICULT TO FORECAST, AND SO THERE IS A GOOD DEAL OF UNCERTAINTY REGARDING IF, WHEN AND WHERE ANY HEAVY RAIN WOULD FALL. HOWEVER, THE MOISTURE WILL CERTAINLY BE IN PLACE, AND ANY ORGANIZED TRIGGER FROM EITHER OF THE AFOREMENTIONED SYSTEMS WOULD CAUSE HEAVY RAIN....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Did some plugging on a CMC jetty last night 7:30 til around sunset....Ocean was relatively flat; a little too much seaweed though...I threw topwater and swimming plugs----not even a tap....Beautiful evening though---had 2 porpoise come about 50 yds off the jetty, which is probably the reason I didn't do any catching.....Mike

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just wanted to post some FYI info for the Strathmere area - all of a sudden brown sharks are making themselves know in the area not five minutes after the life guards leave and while there are still a few bathers in the water. Even though they are not know for very aggressive behavior when you start catching them, the one that was landed by our friend was 30lbs and another almost spooled our other firend before breaking the line, in bathing areas it makes me a little nervous. Just a heads up that some bigguns are lurking in the surf.

Had few stripers attempt to kill my popper on the fly rod in the surf but they all missed the hook - nice show and I'll get them next time. Hope you all are enjoying summer!!!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Ardmore...Theirs been surf the past couple of days and have been seeing a fair share of sharks...not big ones though...the biggest was probably 3 ft or so

·
Registered
250 Posts
JC, a normal non-commercial crab pot license is actually only $2.00 or $2.50. Its the Crab Dredge license that BottomBouncer quoted as being $15. FYI

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
BLUES, BLUES, BLUES, that is all I got. Better then nothing, but I'm still looking for those weakies and I think my time is running out. Iggy I need some of your charma.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
FishEnough, my charma may be running out, i fished lastnight with FisherJim from the barn, and all we had were Blues, it was a strange night there was more bait present, than in the last couple trips, bigger baitfish maybe bunker or little snapper blues, the were jumping all around us during the outgoing, they looked to be about 6 or 8 inches long, not really sure what they were, but they appeared to be feeding, not being fed on, and there were no Weakfish to be had, i guess i shouldn't complain, i have had a nice bite with trout the last 8 times i have been out, hopefully they haven,t moved out yet, i will give it a shot this weekend.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Snookmaster and got out last night for some night fishing

Tough time catching mullet so we headed out loaded with shrimp and crab we caught with a net right from the boat.

Steve got a nice 28 Red, had Tarpon all over us and so close you could jump on them

Yup, need some Tarpon experts down here. Tried crab and shrimp on the bottom, free-lined. Threw a bunch of plugs as well, nutting

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Jim I saw the same thing last night. There was a lot of bait in the water. Most of it seemed to be silversides. Oh well I'll keep trying. I'll be out tomorrow night weather permiting. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:

Yup, need some Tarpon experts down here. Tried crab and shrimp on the bottom, free-lined. Threw a bunch of plugs as well, nutting
Doc, It's times like this when you have to think... "What would Jimmy do?"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts