BASS BARN banner

Fishing Reports 9/25 - 10/2 2005

1K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Pinerat 
#1 ·
Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports from
our Surrounding South Jersey Inlets & BackBays.
Striped Bass,Weakfish,Bluefish & Crabbing etc.
As Much or As Little Information as you like
Even Skunk Reports are Ok...
But Please No Exact Spots,,,Thanks NS

-------------------------------------------------

All I got to say is that this weeks reports take us to October or as I like to say Rocktober :D .. Prime time To Wet A Line Over The Next Couple Of Months in the BackBays and ofcourse the Surf... ;)

Good Luck EveryOne...

[ 09-26-2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

See less See more
#3 ·
Fished Friday night in OC to Avalon. Started throwing live peanuts in the inlet and managed 2 weakfish one an 18inch keeper the other a short. Lots of small 6-8inch blues.

Moved to the back in the kayak and caught a few small weaks (no keepers) and 2 flounder to 16 inches. Once the tide started in the wind flipped from south to NW and picked up to 15 to 20 needless to say it was time to pull the kayak.

Moved around a bit after that and hit some dock lights catching 6 small stripers to 22inches. Bait is thick everywhere. Just need the H20 to drop into mid 60's and the big stuff should start eating.

#4 ·
meanbean, there is a ton of bait behind margate, but it seems like the bigger fish aren't really on it. there are a lot of small blues, weaks, and bass around, but i'm talking about 15" or less. i might pop out in the kayak this evening for an hour or so, and see if any of the bridges are holding bigger fish. let's hope.

#9 ·
Fished last night in the surf on LBI, the bass are there big time, all of my fish were caught on bombers during the outgoing tide, no keepers for me, mostly small fish from 18 to 22 inches, i did have one nice one at 29 inches, also not a keeper, but there was a guy that i met there where we parked, he was fishing strictly bait, bunker and clams, and he had 3 nice bass on bunker heads, 2- 38 inch fish, and 1-35 inch fish, right at the bottom of the tide, the fish quit for me on the incoming, so i headed south to try for some speckled trout, none for me, one guy i was talking to said he had a small one, we need the water to drop at least 5 degrees, for the specks to become somewhat consistent, i have caught 1 this year, and of course i wasn't even fishing for them, since i have begun targeting them, i haven't gotten any in the last 4 trips!

#12 ·
Jc: Specks and weakfish are very similar, and do frequent the same spots, but are very rarely caught together, the Specks will often make a showing, just after the weakfish leave the back bays, and just before the stripers invade the back bays, they can be caught with the same tackle and lures, unlike weakfish the specks, are often caught in the daytime, and during the full moons, in Sept, and Oct, and even into November, the best color to start with during the day are chartruese and pink, at night i like to fish small swimming plugs along with jigs, and dont forget about the mirro lures, as far as spots, you know how that goes! Just pick a spot where you would usually catch weakies, the best bite occurs at the change of tides, and in my experience the best water temp is between 65 and 55 degrees, give it a shot you will be surprised at how many are around!

#13 ·
Good Stuff Iggy2, Very Good,, Thanks,,,,

#14 ·
Originally posted by IGGY2:
Fished last night in the surf on LBI, the bass are there big time, all of my fish were caught on bombers during the outgoing tide, no keepers for me, mostly small fish from 18 to 22 inches, i did have one nice one at 29 inches, also not a keeper, but there was a guy that i met there where we parked, he was fishing strictly bait, bunker and clams, and he had 3 nice bass on bunker heads, 2- 38 inch fish, and 1-35 inch fish, right at the bottom of the tide, the fish quit for me on the incoming, so i headed south to try for some speckled trout, none for me, one guy i was talking to said he had a small one, we need the water to drop at least 5 degrees, for the specks to become somewhat consistent, i have caught 1 this year, and of course i wasn't even fishing for them, since i have begun targeting them, i haven't gotten any in the last 4 trips!
Where on the beach or rocks?

#18 ·
Originally posted by striperaholic:
went out last night behind OC. Boated 1 34". Lost 3 others all on eels.
Thanks Buddy,Time to get the yak ready for drifting snakes....

#19 ·
Late weekend report.

Got out Friday and Saturday night behind Avalon/Sea Isle. Lots of fisherman out and alright fishing. Found fish both nights on plastics. Keeper size weakies, short stripers, and tiny bluefish. Peanuts were really thick with stripers hanging in the shadow line picking them off. Plenty of stripers but no size.
All fish caught on plastics, bass assasins and storms. No luck on the bomber off the sods.

Good luck, I'm on break next weekend so I'll see ya out there.

RyanF

#20 ·
had such a good night/morning Sat/Sun I decided to go light tackle for spikes again down at CISP. Stopped off & had some Mac & Manco's first. Saw a dude plugging down on the beach at 9th street (Poss barner?) then headed to the inlet. Got there & it was windy & dead. No peanuts anywhere, or at least I couldn't find them. Threw on a purple mirro lure & managed one small blue. Switched to a pink fin-s & had no luck. Called it a night & made the treck back to Philly after 2 hours. With the cooler weather I think it's gonna be strictly jetty/surf time from here on out for me.

#24 ·
Not so great for me last night. Fished a few rockpiles last couple hours of light into first hour of dark. No takers, but water was dirty with weed. Tough to make good presentation with much but topwater poppers. Moved to the back and got a couple small blues with many more bite offs. Buddy got one slot bass.

By the way I got "mugged" on the first jetty I fished last night. Started out it was just me and an hour later there were 6 guys. Brutal but I guess that is the way it is this time of year.

Jeff - always good to see you buddy. Hope you banged a couple after I left. I did not stay in Brig for the night - headed home.

#25 ·
Thought it would be a good time to try out front last night. Tried the pocket on several jettys with no luck. Looked good and the wind seemed right. The tried in back at multiple locations. Nothing until the last stop. Then I got 5 shorts. All on various plastics. On so small that I brought it in unhooked- it was just holding on to the plastic behind the hook. OC area entire outgoing tide. Saw on meteor that broke into pieces. Looked like it was going to make it.

2 questions- Why was the wind completely opposite at one location in the same general area? From 6-1:30am wind was coming from the N. One 15 min. stop along the causeway the wind was SE.
?-My Tica reel- this is the 2nd folding handle that has failed. I can get yet another handle from Tica-but I thought I'd ask you guys if there is another handle or trick for making the handle on the sa4000 dependable. I like the reel -pretty much other than the handle.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.