BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last April is here. Should be the start of some real fishing activity in both saltwater and fresh. It is day two of the month and I can put the boat in the slip and fish, but with the high winds blasting yesterday and today, there is no point in even trying. Looks like Monday for sure will be a launch and first saltwater trip due to weekend with the family for Easter. Last year, on the first trip the water was 49.3 degrees. Not sure what it is now, but I think it is a little colder. Going to give it a shot and hope to fishy post on Monday.

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
Water temp was close to 46F in AC this morning. Haven't bothered going out for anything yet, but next week will hit local fresh spots. Saw anglers out on a local tidal creek this past week.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Had a great time racing the remote control sailboat yesterday at Mt Laurel. We had 22 boats racing. I ended up in the middle of the pack. Too many cob-webs from the winter lay off. Just didn't sail all that well. On the way back to Cape May I stopped a pickerel lake. Fished from 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm and got two very small pickerel on a small bait fish pattern to end the day on a high note.
i-V83Zqk4-XL.jpg

1055.jpg

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was suppose to launch boat and fish today. Switched to Tuesday as winds are suppose to be lighter. Right now 15 mph out of the southwest and gusting a little higher. Tomorrow the winds are to be around 9 to 10 out of the northwest and it is to be a little warmer. Not expecting good fishing as the tides this week are extremely bad. Todays and tomorrow's high tide, in the afternoon, will be the lowest high tides of the month and there be only a trickle of current flow. Will try no matter what and work the incoming in the ocean tomorrow afternoon. Will be a bit brisk on the water as the ocean temps are only in the mid 40's

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today was the first saltwater fishing day. Buddy Paul and I launched the boat. Engine started up of the first turn of the key and he met me over at the marina so at the end of the day I could get a ride back to the ramp to pick up the trailer.

The weatherman lied. Wind was to blow around 10 to 11 mph. We got to the ocean a little before noon and it was blowing around 15 mph, more down the beach than from the land. We worked 4 spots really hard till 3:00 pm with the wind around 20 mph the whole time. Water was almost 46.5 degrees and nice and clean. You could see your fly down at least 4 feet. It was as nice as I have seen in awhile. It was just brutal fighting the wind. Even the inter harbor was all white caps. Both of us used sinking lines and chartreuse/white clousers. I used a single fly and Paul used a two fly set up with a little smaller clouser following the larger one.

The whole three hours of fishing neither of us got a single hit. First time in a number of years that I didn't catch a fish the day that I launched. Will just have to wait for a nicer day. At least it felt good to get out, but a fish or two would of made it a lot better.
1057.jpg
1058.jpg
1059.JPG
1060.jpg

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
Dropped the boat off to get bottom painted today. Hope to launch soon.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably need the water to warm up just a little. Did see dolphins long the beach yesterday and a few gannets that flew by. Never marked any fish or bait, but most of the time I fish very shallow casting at structure and really do not see bait or fish even when fishing. Did hear of a couple of very small stripers caught on bait on the Delaware Bay side. Just have to wait for a nice calm day as it was no fun fishing in all the wind yesterday.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After dinner, decided to give it shot at Cape May Point from shore. Got there at 6:00 pm. to fish the start of the outgoing tide. With the water so nice and clean yesterday along the beach at low tide, I expected to see the water nice and clean at high tide. Wrong! Guess with all the heavy winds the last three days the waves in Delaware Bay pounded all the mud banks. The water was as ugly as it could be and looked like liquid mud. Could not even see down a foot. A few hundred yards out I saw gannets diving on something and thought I would give it a shot. There were two other guys fishing cut bunker.

Fished till 7:45 pm. right as the sun set. Had three hits. Hooked and landed two super small stripers. Both were the same size. A big whopping 12 inches long. Felt good to get a few hits, but was disappointed in size of my first bass of the year. At least I broke the ice. Used sinking line and chartreuse/white clouser. Only got a picture of the first fish as I thought for sure I would get some better ones.

Guys using bait got no bites and only got one crab as we all quit at the same time. Gannets never worked in close, but looked like they were feeding on bunker. Did have a pod of maybe a dozen dolphins come close by and did see a couple of small swirls close to the beach. The bait fishing guys said they looked like small stripers.
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0786.jpg

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Always good to catch that first fish. At least you know you haven't lost your touch. Nothing like the feel of a fish hitting while you strip in the line and strip set for the hook up. We both have to work on getting size back into our catches.

Was hoping to go out in the boat this afternoon, but the wind was blowing fairly good off the ocean. Didn't feel like fighting the wind again. Thought about going over to the point again tonight, after dinner, but while grilling, with the wind coming off the ocean and the tide coming in I could see vapor while breathing and didn't feel like fishing in the cold. Will wait for better conditions. It should only get better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts