BASS BARN banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Went to try Sunday to see if we could get lightning to strike twice, but the wind was blowing too hard out of the South Southeast making it just unfishable so we went out checked it out and turned turned around and headed back in without wetting a line. Worst possible wind direction for fishing the beach front in a boat.

Did send in the tag information on the bass we got. It was from the Berkely Fishing Club. Looks like a littoral tag but they use the same type. Taking a photo of the tag works well and then they can still get more information if someone else catches it, down the road.
IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0948 (1).jpg

Will post information when I get it back.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Another day with high winds. Seems the way it is anymore at this time of the year. Almost went freshwater fishing after dinner, but again it was cooling down and the wind just wasn't easing up. Will just have to wait in a holding pattern for a nice day and hope some of the fish from the other day, haven't moved on.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Another day with high winds. Seems the way it is anymore at this time of the year. Almost went freshwater fishing after dinner, but again it was cooling down and the wind just wasn't easing up. Will just have to wait in a holding pattern for a nice day and hope some of the fish from the other day, haven't moved on.
Had the grandkids out this evening but did not have the fly rod, unfortunately as there was some kind of hatch going on in the shadowed corner of the lake we were fishing. Most likely sunnies hitting but it would have been fun.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Might of been crappies feeding on the surface. See them sometimes feed on small surface stuff and sometimes they will feed in fairly good groups. Want those nice calm warmer days, but with that comes the bugs. Nothing worse the gnats when they come out. Freshwater should start up good now that the water is warming up a bit and the fish start thinking about reproducing. Been awhile since I tried freshwater. I find it hard to go to a lake once saltwater starts up, but weather will not co-operate it is a good plan B.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wind has been blowing strong everyday all week with one day gusting into the high 30's all day. It has been frustrating not being able to go out and try for more stripers. Even had to cancel our weekly model sailboat racing on Thursday afternoon as there was too much wind. Late today, with the winds still around 15 mph, I decided to go freshwater fishing. Started fishing around 5:15 pm. Caught a small large mouth on the 5th cast and a small pickerel on the next cast and figured I would have a banner afternoon. Next hour and a half never got so much as a hit. (Go Figure) At least had a little fun. No pictures as I forgot the phone. Left the phone on the charger in the car. Bass was around 12 inches and the pickerel around 13 inches. Both hit a bait fish pattern.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Wind here just as bad, haven’t been out since the fw outing with the grandkids.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Disappointing trip this morning. After chomping at the bit for six days waiting for the wind to ease up, we finally got a light wind morning. Left the dock with fly fishing friend Larry to fish the out going tide. We were all excited and ready to catch a few stripers as the last trip out was the best in years. Harbor water was 60.4 degrees on the way to fish the out going tide in the ocean. Ocean water was 50.58 in the ocean, right around where it was for last weeks super trip. Water was as ugly brown as it gets, from all the wind this past week. I don't think we had 6 to 8 inches of visibility, but we have caught in nasty water before. We worked six different areas for a total of 3 hours and neither of us even got a hit. It was as bad as it gets. Can't remember ever have a trip that bad at this time of the year as there is usually lots of small bass around. We never saw any bait fish, birds, dolphins or any signs of life. If the fish were there we would of caught them. It was just dead and we had to pay our dues.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Still waiting for a decent day to fly fish. Wind was down yesterday, but when I went over to check on the boat and install my new vinyl leaning post cushions, the water still looked super brown. I think with the full moon tides and all the wind this past week it just has everything really stirred up. It can't stay like this for ever, although lately it seems to be the new normal. Anyway, hope to get out soon and it is always more fun to fish clean water, especially when fish have to see your fly to eat it. Anticipating the first bluefish and weakfish in May, to add a little variety, but in the last few years there have been less bluefish than weakfish as their stocks are really down.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Got my eldest grandson out for a bit last evening, and introduced him to flyfishing. Not casting, I would cast, but started getting him to strip the line back. He fished with garden hackle most of the time catching some monster sunnies, but I had one good bass which took a small popper on the fly rod, gave it to him and tried my best to keep line pressure in the transfer and ensure he was not letting up... but it was an old crappie popper and he came unbuttoned before we got him in. Nonetheless it was a good start. His younger brother and sister were both busy so it was a good time for 1:1.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
All good. Sounds like a good way to introduce a young one. Nice thing about sunfish you really don't need much of a cast. Might even be able to get him to have about 15 feet of line and just once back and then forward. My oldest grandson is 10. Will work with him catching fish on lures this year and see where we go from there as all his fishing has been with worms and a bobber.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
If he had sun glasses with him, I would have let him cast, but I told him no hat, no glasses, no cast :D

I will also have to crimp the barbs down on anything he uses.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Another very discouraging fishing trip Thursday morning. Was not planning on fishing today as I had to get lab work done for a doctors appointment next week, a ton of yard work to do and I was to race model boats in Ocean City this afternoon. Got home and it was warm with very light winds and made a snap decision to squeeze in a quick hit and run trip as the next few days are suppose to be pretty windy.

Left at 10:30 am to fish the outgoing tide in the ocean. Fly fishing buddy Paul was able to make it. We had high expectations as the water in the harbor was pretty clean and with the wind from the west southwest the ocean should be nice. Clearer the inlet and found a good sea swell coming in from offshore. Got to the first spot that I like to fish. Water there was pretty good looking, it was almost 53 degrees, but there was pretty good surf and we couldn't really fish in tight to structure and beach like we wanted. With all the wave activity and tide it was tough fishing at best, but doable..

Getting zero hits, we moved back to the inlet where worked the jetty rocks. Still fairly big waves but with the past nights of big moon tides there was just way too much straw and debris. We were hooking it on our lines or flies on almost every cast. Again no hits there.

With about an hour of time left to fish, I decide to run to the back bay and try some creek out flows and a couple of rip lines. It was the first time I tried the back this year. Water was 55 to 68 degrees and the water was fairly clean. We worked 4 spots that all looked perfect, but here too, we never got a single hit. While in the back the wind died even more and the gnats came out in force, adding more salt to our wounds.

Two skunkings in a row now, after one of my best trips ever, No only not catching any fish, it was two trips in a row without a single hit. I can't every remember experiencing that before. Just got to hope things will change and a new batch of fish will move in.

Did get a great early dinner, which took some of the pain away. Had steaks on the grill, before heading off to Ocean City to race. Day ended great. The wind picked up nice and we had a great late afternoon, getting in 8 races. Things have to get better.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts