BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was another super hot day in Cape May to start the new month off. I decided to fish Monday night, figuring it would be a little cooler on the water. Buddy Paul was suppose to fish fish with me but had to drop out at the last minute, so I did a solo trip.

Left the dock at 6:45 pm. and headed to the ocean to fish the incoming tide along the beach front. Water in the harbor was 66 degrees. When I cleared the inlet it water was 63.8. With a light westerly wind I was able to get in close to the beach as the surf was very light. Water close into the beach was fairly clean and 63.6 degrees. For about and hour and a half I picked up 5 weakfish and missed a couple of hits. Two were 17 and 16 1/2 inches, another was 13 1/2 inches and two were under keeper size. They were the first under size weakfish I gotten this year. 4 were caught on pink/white clouser and one hit my all white teaser fly.

As the tide came in the current picked up along the beach and the water dropped to 61.8 degrees. Near dark I headed back to the inlet to work the rocks before heading in. The water was the coldest there, down to 60.2 degrees and the tide was only half way in. Never did get a hit in that colder water and headed in at 9:00 pm.

During the trip I did see some small pods of bunker that were about 8 inches long and some small bait fish, but there was nothing feeding on any of it. Did also see a fair number of cow nose rays and foul hooked one in the wing. Big hassle as they fight like hell and waste a lot of fishing time. As the sun set the wind died down to zero and it was actually a bit cool on the water with all that cold water around, to the point where I almost needed a sweat shirt. Overall it was a decent night of fishing.
Water Fisherman Jigging Fish Fin
Water Vertebrate Fluid Organism Fish
Vertebrate Fisherman Jigging Fish Recreational fishing
Water Vertebrate Fish Fisherman Fishing
Water Bait Fish hook Fisherman Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tuesday, after dinner I checked the forecast and it looked like a duplicate of last night. Tried calling 4 of my regular fishing buddies, but on short notice, none of them could make it, so it was another solo trip. Decided to fish the start of the incoming tide in the ocean again. Left the dock at 6:30. Harbor water was 66.8 degrees and the closer I got to the ocean the water got a little cooler. It was 66.5 right outside the inlet.

I headed down beach and was again able to work in close to the beach as there was a very light breeze and no sea swell. Again I fished a pink/white clouser with a second all white fly as a teaser and fished it on a sinking line. Water when I started fishing was 66 degrees and fairly clean. You could see fly down maybe 2 1/2 to 3 feet. On about the tenth cast I hooked and caught the nicest fish of the night. A nice 18 inch weakfish. Had pretty good action till near dusk when the tide started ripping pretty strong and a mess of dolphins were working the same area that I was. Don't know if it was the dolphins or the current that caused the bite to stop.

Ended up catching 9 weakfish. Only 4 were keeper size with the smallest being 10 inches. Also caught a 14 1/4 inch fluke that had a Littoral Society Tag in it and one super small sea bass. I took some pictures of the tag and left it in so maybe it can be caught again and they can possible get more information from it down the road.

It was another perfect night for fishing. Incoming water when I stopped fishing along the beach it was down to 64 degrees. As the last of the sun was gone, I headed back to the inlet jetty. Water there was down to 60.9. It looked fishy but I again never got a hit.

While fishing along the beach I did have tow small pods of bunker pass by me. They looked to be about 6 inches long. Also had some small bait fish being chased by 6 to 8 inch snappers.

For this time of the year It was a good trip. Sizes were mostly small, but the numbers where good. Quit fishing and headed back to the dock at 8:45 pm after having a fun night of fishing.
Water Fisherman Fish Fluid Fishing
White Fish Seafood Fish products Ray-finned fish
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fishing net Fish
Water Fluid Fish Fin Fishing net
Food Flatfish Flounder Vegetable Terrestrial animal
Fish Fin Ray-finned fish Hood Fishing
Water Hood Finger Fin Marine invertebrates

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wednesday would of been another good night for fishing but I gave it a break. Mailed off the fish tag information to the American Littoral Society this morning. It will be interesting to see where and when it was first caught. Usually takes awhile for them to respond.

I always like to take a good close up picture of the tag instead of removing it. That way there is a chance they can gather even more information on the individual fish.
Water Lake Fish Fin Boat
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail
Plant Leg Terrestrial plant Jewellery Petal

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
My brother in law caught a tagged short fluke but didn’t take a picture of it. He remember DDD 78 from the numbers but I can’t seem to align that format or combo of letters/numbers to any group’s tag.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are private tags that look the same that different clubs and organizations use. They usually have the name of the organization printed on the tag. You can also go on line when you have different types of tags and usually find out who was doing the tagging. During the 80's and 90's I use to tag a lot of fish each year and have gotten returns from all over the place. Always fun to see where it ended up and how much it grew.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn' t fish at all this weekend. It was hot and we had relatives down for the whole weekend. Did go out for a joy ride on Friday. Water was closer to normal. Around High Tide we circled the island and water was nice and clean except when we went into Delaware Bay. Temps were from a low of 66 to 71. That was going down the beach front and back through the canal. Did the dolphin watch, and saw a few small pods of bunker. Hope to fish if the wind lets up a little. Still been blowing pretty strong the last two days.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Decided to give it a try tonight. It was another super hot day in Cape May, but with light winds I decided to go, only because I haven't fished in a week. Larry and I left the dock at 6:00 pm. to fish the last of the incoming tide and maybe part of the outgoing. Made the decision to fish the ocean as the water looked a bit ugly in the back bay. With close to a full moon we knew it was going to be a super high tide. Water outside the inlet was 63 to 65 degrees. Where we fished along he beach the water was 65 to 66 degrees and nice and clean. We worked two spots the first hour and neither of us got a single hit.

Frustrated we decided to move to the back bay. On the way in it looked like a thunderstorm off in the distance and with the tide still coming in strong, and with all the sod banks flooded to the parkway, we decided to cut our losses as it would be a while before the tide would change and we would get some out flow.. We just didn't feel like beating a dead house, when we could head in early and watch Little League Playoff Baseball. Like Clint Eastwood would say. " A man has to know his limitations."

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
Hadn't been fishing lately, now that the 90's may be past, may start getting out again.

Article (actually editorial) in the ac press about restoration of the Pond Creek Meadow. Said this was drained years ago, and that a sportsmen's club is on it, state wants them to move off to restore this natural area.

Have you heard anything about this, Ray?

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob, Not familiar with Pond Creek Meadow. I know at the point there is a Sportsman's Club right next to the gift shop there. Their little building has been there for years. It is right on the edge of the nature area. I know they want to take that property. That might be what you are talking about. When I was a kid I remember they that that building and lockers for oars and outboard. There would be an number of aluminum boats on the beach. Members would drag them to the water, throw the small outboard on and go fishing. That might be the same that you are talking about.

On the refuge at Higbees Beach there is a small pond in the middle of the refuge. It is called Daveys Pond. I have hiked back there a few times but never tried fishing it. Heard it has some largemouth bass etc. It is very over grown and hard to fish with a fly rod or a spin rod and a good hike if it is a hot day. Think about trying it some day but have not gotten to it.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the information back on the tagged fluke that I caught earlier this month, from the American Littoral Society. Was tagged earlier this year, very close to where it was released. Always fun to get the information on a tagged fish.
Font Material property Symbol Paper Electric blue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts