BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what December will bring. Last night my wind indicator at the house had wind gusts into the 40's. Right now it is 39 degrees with winds to 17 mph. Not a great open boat day for fishing.

I Hear the Fat Lady clearing her throat signaling that the party my be over. Picked up the boat trailer from storage and will check with the marina today to see if the know what day the are pulling me to winterize and paint the bottom. Always a sad day when boat is pulled, but colder weather makes it a little more bearable. Wish I could say it was a fantastic striper run, like in years past, but it was not.

As far as the fall striper run down here in Cape May, it was a trickle of mostly small fish along the beach out to three miles. Only saw a few boats fishing for stripers. If there were any fish around boats would be trolling or grouped around schools of fish. I saw none of that this year. As far as the rip's go, I didn't see more than one or two boats even trying there. Sea Bass and Tog have been the only show in town and I would say 99 percent of the boats fishing are targeting them. Only decent sign of any bass, that I have heard of is reports from boats offshore coming in saying they have seen bass out at the 5 fathom bank, which is way out of the 3 mile zone. They are out there where the food source is.

Got to believe it is Climate Change and pollution of our south jersey water for things to change so drastically in the last 10 years. Now all the great action that we use to see is all up in North Jersey.

Hoping for maybe one last shot, in the boat, but it isn't looking good.

· Registered
3 Posts
I saw you out there on the 22nd. We were fishing the rock pile for Tog. Unfortunately like you said the water was brown and murky and we only managed a couple throw backs. I have no idea why it was so dirty.

We might out front for bass this Sunday, but that will probably be it.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heard the Wildwood Reef had a good bite with tog and seabass, but if you have a small boat running there may not be an option. We were lucky to catch what we did, considering you almost have to hit them in the head with the fly for them to even see it. Good Luck, if you get out this weekend. I think our water it a lot dirtier anymore because of all the dredging and beach replenishments. All the silt just lays on the bottom and get stirred up with strong tides and winds.

· Registered
14,029 Posts
Was on the beach Tuesday with a bunch of boats running the inlet hitting stripers off
Brig, but nothing but doggies for me. I bait around and didn’t pull out the fly rod. Looking for a window to chase trout again but we will see.

· Registered
84,237 Posts
Anyone notice the projected rise in Temperatures over the next 10 days?
To little to late?

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I will feel bad seeing those nice days and not having my boat in the water. I use to always stay into the bitter end and pull out a couple of days before Christmas. May catch a few more fish, but the boat put away was more of a hassle. I would have to pull boat out at the ramp and then have to wait till January to take it to dealer for service and bottom painting as they would be closed for the holidays and then be super backed up with all the late pullers. Years ago I remember keeping my boat in the water to December 31st. That was a very cold December. We had one snow storm where I had to clear a foot of snow off the boat and the harbor had a couple of days with some ice in marina. I almost thought I waited too long. I am too old for that crap anymore.

By the time I would get my boat back it would be late February or early March. I have a full custom canvas winter cover that would never get on, cause I start getting ready for the next season in March. By sacrificing a couple of weeks of fishing, where it is all weather dependent, I get my boat back before Christmas, can usually give it a good cleaning and get the winter cover on.

Took my trailer over to the marina today and pulled all gear off the boat. They will just lift it and put it on the trailer, do all the work and call me when it is ready for pick up.

If weather permits I can always work a couple of jetties from the beach and as long as there is no ice on lakes I can always manage to catch some crappies or bass working fly deep and slow.

· Registered
84,237 Posts
Yea, I will feel bad seeing those nice days and not having my boat in the water. I use to always stay into the bitter end and pull out a couple of days before Christmas. May catch a few more fish, but the boat put away was more of a hassle. I would have to pull boat out at the ramp and then have to wait till January to take it to dealer for service and bottom painting as they would be closed for the holidays and then be super backed up with all the late pullers. Years ago I remember keeping my boat in the water to December 31st. That was a very cold December. We had one snow storm where I had to clear a foot of snow off the boat and the harbor had a couple of days with some ice in marina. I almost thought I waited too long. I am too old for that crap anymore.

By the time I would get my boat back it would be late February or early March. I have a full custom canvas winter cover that would never get on, cause I start getting ready for the next season in March. By sacrificing a couple of weeks of fishing, where it is all weather dependent, I get my boat back before Christmas, can usually give it a good cleaning and get the winter cover on.

Took my trailer over to the marina today and pulled all gear off the boat. They will just lift it and put it on the trailer, do all the work and call me when it is ready for pick up.

If weather permits I can always work a couple of jetties from the beach and as long as there is no ice on lakes I can always manage to catch some crappies or bass working fly deep and slow.
I hear ya about the hassles of dealing with it. We moved back to the area but won't bring the boat back until next week when it gets put in the PB. I'm hoping guys like Skip and Dan are still around next year because like you I'm getting to old to deal with it if I can hop on their boat and pay for a nice day late in the season.
Maybe I'll see you on a Jettie when it warms up some

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With decent weather today I decided to squeeze in a freshwater trip before dinner. Was thinking about saltwater fishing but there was a 16 mph wind coming off the ocean, so I thought freshwater, where it was a little more sheltered would be more fun. Started Fishing at 4:15 pm. and fished to around dark at 5:00 pm. Caught a small sunfish, one 8 inch largemouth bass and another largemouth that was 13 inches. The bigger fish really had a lot of energy and jumped 3 times on the way in. All fish were caught on a baitfish pattern. Really don't know how the small sunfish thought it could eat the fly I was using. Had one other small bass follow the fly up to my feet, but it never hit. Had some fun, but it was getting pretty cold when I quit.
Water Fish Fin Tail Ray-finned fish
Fish Tail Grass Ray-finned fish Plant

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Fishing. Boat is somewhere between being pulled and serviced. Did go remote control sailboat racing on Sunday. Our last regatta of the season. 10th annual FYBOR Freeze Your But Off Regatta. Some years it is just that. We sailed in 6 inches of snow one year, found the lake frozen over one year and had one year where you could wear shorts. Never can tell what you will get.

We had great weather and decent winds and had 20 sailors show up. We had our regular crew plus guys from PA. MD. and MA. We had great end of the year sailing plus our normal great lunch of hot chilli and homemade crab soup. No matter what the weather it is a fun way to end the sailing season.

Really feel the year and the fishing and sailing seasons closing in on me. Boat Fishing is gone, Sailings finished and the days are just too short with it getting dark so early. Only thing I have left is Freshwater till it freezes over. Even this is tough this time of the year. It is cold and you have to work hard for every fish.
Water Plant Tree Watercraft Natural landscape
Water Cloud Sky Watercraft Boat
Water Boat Watercraft Sailing Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Boat Watercraft Sailing Mast
Water Boat Watercraft Sailing Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Boat Watercraft White Sailing

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would of been a perfect day for fishing in Cape May today. Fairly warm with very light winds and the ocean flat calm. We had two couples down visiting. We walked along the beach. No signs of any boats fishing anywhere and saw one lonely seagull fly along the beach with no signs of any life along the whole two miles. One of the guys with me, was out this week up at LBI where they hammered bass. They just went north to Sea Side till they spotted birds, baitfish and bass, none of which we have seen down here at all. I believe all 11 guys limited out with many fish thrown back and they were back at the dock by 11:00 am. Just amazing how late the bass are staying north anymore.

On the way back home I stopped by the marina and saw they had my boat pulled and they were working on it. Should be bringing it home to put the winter cover on soon. HOW LONG IS IT TILL SPRING???????

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cold but beautiful day today. Was thinking of working a couple of jetties today for a last striper or two, but didn't have the tides in my favor, so I did a freshwater trip later in the day. Started fishing at 3:15 pm. It was cold but not too bad. Using a baitfish pattern with sinking line I hooked two bass. Landed the first one. The second fish, about the same size threw the hook on the second jump. A few casts later I lost the fly on a overhanging tree.

I switched to a small weightless all black wooly bugger, Started getting more hits. They were pretty much sunfish as I did hook two half decent ones in the process. Also hooked a nice size crappie but it got off right at my feet before I could grab it and get a picture. It was the first one that I have seen in a long time. Overall it was a fun way to end the day and I quit at 5:15 pm. as it was getting pretty dark and my hands were frozen.
Fish Grass Ray-finned fish Tail Fin
Fish Twig Ray-finned fish Marine biology Tail

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very disappoint fishing on Sunday. Just couldn't get anything to work. I knew there have been some small stripers in the surf this week. With heavy clouds and a light northeast wind I decided to try some flyfishing off a jetty at Cape May Point. Had a perfect start of the out going tide. Water clarity was not too bad, but the weed was terrible. Every cast either the fly or the line would have weed on it. It was unfishable. I tried the beach on each side and it was just as bad.

Frustrated I left and headed over to a back bay sod bank area. Worked it hard for about an hour with out a hit and decided to head back to the house and switch out the saltwater gear for freshwater stuff.

Got to lake and worked it hard for about an hour without a single hit. Buddy Paul stopped by. He used a super small bead head fly and caught two 4 inch sunfish I did get a few hits on my larger fly, but the were small sunfish just nipping at it. Both of us being disappointed we left to go home an lick our wounds. Thought it would be a great day, but the fish had other ideas.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What plain nasty day it is in Cape May. Got a call that my boat serviced and was ready to trailer home. On the drive over to the marina, it was raining hard the wind was howling and with the high tide the water, from the back bay was way over the sod banks and close to the road. Got there and found out there was one more thing that they had to do. The office though all the work was done. but there was one last thing that required the boat to be in heated area to complete. Was kind of glad as it was raining and blowing pretty good. They should finish up next week. One of those days that you are glad to be inside. Not even a thought about freshwater fishing. It is just damp, raw and cold.

· Registered
14,029 Posts
Won’t be out until after Christmas and then only if we get a couple day warmup. There are probably still trout around (stocked) but as you know everything slows down.

Also would require no ICE which might be a possibility come Christmas weekend!

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear you Rob. One last striper from the surf would be a great way to end the year, for me. I keep checking along the beach looking of any signs of life, like in all the videos that I have seen of fish along the beach, from up north, but there are still zero signs. Yesterday would of been a great day weather wise for salt or freshwater, but I spent most of the day blowing leaves and took 3 full loads of yard stuff to the dump. I was out of gas by late afternoon. Hope to get in a couple of freshwater trips before Christmas, but even that has been a bit slower than normal.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was cold and not too windy. Decided to give freshwater a quick shot a the end of the day. Got to lake around 3:30 pm. Was some ice on some of the puddles around the lake and it was pretty cold even with insulated waders. Fished for about an hour and a half. That was about all the cold my almost healed thumb could take, even with gloves on Seems like my thumb is super sensitive to cold and touch.

Started out with a standard baitfish pattern hoping for larger fish. Fished it for about 3/4 of and hour and had one hit and a miss so I switched to and all white trout magnet.

Got three hits and did manage two decent size sunfish before my thumb felt like it would fall off. Very disappointing as freshwater this year is much slower than last year, in looking at my records. Not sure just why. Water level is down a bit, but all year there has hardly been any pickerel where they use to be pretty thick. Also crappies, especially at this time of year it was always easy to get nice crappies with a good number of slab sized ones mixed in. I have had just one in the last three months. It is hard enough to push yourself to go fishing in this cold weather. When you don't catch much it is even harder to get motivated for the next trip. With the weather for the rest of the week to get worse. It might be next week or in the new year when I give it another try, if there is no ice on the lake.

Fish Fishing Fisherman Tail Fin

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All set for the Christmas Holidays. Picked up boat from marina this afternoon. All tuned up, winterized and the bottom is painted. Removed the last of the gear and got the winter cover on, so I am all set for spring. It will just need a washing and waxing and it will be ready for April. As much as I hate putting the boat away for the season, it gives you peace of mind and one less thing to worry about this winter. Today is the first day of winter and days will be getting longer. Is it Spring Yet?????????????
Wheel Boat trailer Cloud Boat Vehicle
Sky Watercraft Boat Cloud Vehicle
Sky Cloud Wheel Building Tire

· Registered
1,094 Posts
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! I went out on Wednesday the 21st. It was very cold in the early morning but promised to warm up as the morning went on..........BUT didn't warm up by much! Managed 3 Stripers on single mojo's to 34 inches. We kept 2 and tossed a slot fish back, even though I have a Bonus Tag. I just didn't need all 3 fish as my buddy doesn't eat them. We were back at the slip by noon. We fished 45 to 55 feet of water off of Brigantine. There were more boats out than I expected to see! So that was my Christmas fishing trip and Santa didn't disappoint!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts