BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would start a new reporting month even though the chances of saltwater action on the fly is slim to none. Hope to catch a fish every month of the year, fresh or salt, but all the ponds and lakes have ice on them right now. Only hope is if we get a warm spell that melts the ice and a little sun, to even have a chance. Right now it is just a wait and see game.
It just might be a stay inside and tie flies for the new season month.

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
Next week is below freezing all nights and many days. Stay warm.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great. Wish we had some trout streams here in south jersey. Best we can do is where they stock trout in a small shallow lakes. If the ospreys and fishermen don't get them the hot weather during the summer does as they get pretty warm. There might be a few hold overs and those that try for them tend to get them on those trout baits, where you just cast out and let it sit there, rather than artificial stuff, during the colder months. Streams seem to be the best place to fish as you know where the trout will hold. All you need it for them to be fishable.

I normally fish for trout for a few days in northwestern North Carolina each year. Missed this year due to Covid. Just never think about running north in the state, to give it a shot.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was in the 50's the last two days and the ice melted off at the lake that I fish. Had a Clint Eastwood Trip I should of known my limitations. Froze my butt off for an hour and half and never got a single hit. Water may just be too cold and the fish are just sitting tight.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still a little too cold to try freshwater again. Think I will need a few warm days in a row to even get the fish thinking about feeding up here. Have been getting reports from my fishing friends in Florida. With all their cold weather it has been mostly ladyfish and jacks. Just this week water warmed up a bit and they started catching specks. Two buddies are catching using flies and the other is catching using chartreuse Gulps on a jig head.

Normally I would be heading south next week for sailing and RC Sailing, but get my second vaccine shot next week and since it takes a few weeks for it to full take effect, I
1041.jpg
1042.jpg
1043.jpg
1044.jpg
will not be chancing going south this year.

·
Registered
Redington Predator 10wt//Lamson Guru S -9+; Echo Prime 4 8wt/3tand T90; Echo Shadow 2//Lamson Liquid
2 Posts
CapeMayRay - I am on a quest for striper on the fly. Likely on foot from the beach. I spent all Fall casting the jetties of Cape May Point. Do you have any tips/ generalized spots (not trying to spot burn) that I might have more luck once March rolls around and it starts to warm up. I am out of Cape May and have tried Townsend Inlet, Cape May Point, Poverty Beach etc with no luck.

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
CapeMayRay - I am on a quest for striper on the fly. Likely on foot from the beach. I spent all Fall casting the jetties of Cape May Point. Do you have any tips/ generalized spots (not trying to spot burn) that I might have more luck once March rolls around and it starts to warm up. I am out of Cape May and have tried Townsend Inlet, Cape May Point, Poverty Beach etc with no luck.
keep going north, or the back in the spring... inlets toward the back.

for ocean front, best fishing is from Long Beach Island and north.

·
Registered
Redington Predator 10wt//Lamson Guru S -9+; Echo Prime 4 8wt/3tand T90; Echo Shadow 2//Lamson Liquid
2 Posts
keep going north, or the back in the spring... inlets toward the back.

for ocean front, best fishing is from Long Beach Island and north.
Thanks, I want to learn the waters around Cape May first if I can, as that's where I will mostly be.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BlueWaterOne TheFly, sorry I haven/t looked on the barn in a few days. Shouldn't be all that hard to get a striper at the point, but action will not start to at least April. I find that with the water so cold, a clouser worked deep close to jetties and the beach provides the best action. Even when fishing from a boat, if the surf is very light I try and get as close to the beach as possible with many times the fly will hit the sand. Seems to be late April and May before there is any action anywhere in the back . I always liked to work Nummy Island area. Lots of good areas. Either end or you can walk out on the sod banks on both sides.

Overall the fishing it tougher than it use to be, mainly because of the lack of bait fish around to attract and hold fish. There are still fish around, you just have to work harder for them. Hope you have luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my second Covid Shot on Tuesday so I should be good. Normally I would be down in Florida fishing with my brother and going around to a number of Remote Control sailboat regatta. Most of the regattas were canceled. My brother has been busting my stones. They have been getting Jack attacks every night when he sit's out in the yard before dinner with some decent size ones. He sent me about a two minute video of last night. It was wild, with hundreds of fish crashing baits up against his sea wall. I really miss being down there. Glad someone is having fun.
1045.jpg
1046.jpg
1047.jpg
IMG_5217.jpeg

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is always next year. First sailing regatta up here is at Raritan Bay March 13 and will have the boat back in the water the first week in April. I think I will make it through the winter.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My buddy Paul decided to give Freshwater a shot today. I told him that I thought the water was still a little too cold, that we would need a string of warmer days to maybe motivate the fish to feed. We had light winds and it was in the 50's with the sun coming out around mid day. It was too nice he decided to go. He fished sinking line with small wooly buggers and bead heads. Said he worked them hard for over an hour and never got a hit or a bump and came home a bit disappointed.

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
I thought about seeing if the local pics will play but didnt head yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts