BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is the start of a new year and the weather is suppose to start to get more seasonable. For me the only fishing that I will be able to do is freshwater until the lakes freeze over. Anymore do not know it that will even happen anymore. Saltwater fishing in April seems so far off.

Was suppose to race remote control sailboats today up in Ocean City NJ at our annual New Years Day Regatta, but looking at the weather of rain and light winds I decided to stay home. With the conditions so poor for racing a number of the guys are still going. Plan B was to go inside and drink and socialize. Figured it was not the smartest thing to be doing and I would play it safe.

Will use the day to get my 2021 Striper Bonus Tag report ready to mail off and tie some flies for the new season.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the year started right. This was the fifth calm winter day in a row. Hit lake mid afternoon and fished to 4:00 pm. Trip started like the last one with all small stuff. Caught 3 very small crappies, two small sunfish, two small largemouth and then Two really good crappies to end the day. The biggest crappie measured 15 1/4 inches. All black fly, a bead head fly and a inch and a half greenish brown minnow pattern all produced. It was just a pleasant afternoon. It felt warm and I got my first fish of the new year. This weather is really weird. It feels warmer than when I fish in the spring. Figured I would fish today before the snow comes tomorrow. I think they are talking 6 inches down here in Cape May.
Fin Finger Fish Marine biology Ray-finned fish
Hand Vertebrate Organism Fish Finger
Vertebrate Fin Fish Tail Ray-finned fish
Seafood Fish Ray-finned fish Fin Food
Vertebrate Water Fisherman Fish Plant
Hand Water Fisherman Fish Ray-finned fish
Hand Vertebrate Reptile Organism Mammal

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How fast real winter came on. Another super cold and windy day in Cape May. Ponds that I fish have ice around the edges. I am a pretty die hard fisherman but I do not even want to wade out and fish with conditions like we have. I will just wait for ice to thaw and a little to no wind day before I give it another shot. Just started working on winter cleaning of fly equipment and tie flies in anticipation of the season ahead. Hoping to get in a fishing trip to Florida, but with all the covid crap, it will be a wait and see and probably a last minute thing.

·
Registered
13,906 Posts
The club is having Friday night tying zoom's, had our first zoom last week and I pulled all my tying gear down from the attic and actually did a few flies in real time. One a double mop fly, the other a general panfish mop fly called 'the creature'. Next week a pickerel fly.

Plan on restocking my wooly bugger (bead head, and non bead head) stock for prep, but we have ice on all the ponds now, and don't plan on fishing for a while.

Covid aside, there's a ton of respiratory stuff going around, just getting over a "christmas gift" our grandchildren left us... 12 days. Have used up 2/3rds of a costco case of tissues.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sickness doesn't sound good. Wife and I are still healthy. Grandkids and my daughter got covid at the end of last week. Both kids had a fever and didn't feel good for about a day and half. Tested positive and bounced right back. Daughter was down for about two and half days but feeling better now. Kids have to be home for 10 days before they can return to school. Husband is covid free he tested too just to make sure. Kids were vaccinated and daughter and son-in-law were vaccinated and booster.

Joe Gerace, from South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers called me and I will be doing a program on saltwater fly fishing for the club in April. Suppose to be a how and where from land points in South Jersey. To be in person unless covid causes a problem.

I too will be start some fly tying soon. I usually set up in the family room and can tie and watch TV at the same time.

·
Registered
13,906 Posts
Good to hear, if in person, I'll try to attend in April.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scrounged out a freshwater trip today. Sold my backup EC-12 remote control sailboat to a guy in Maryland and drove down to Maryland to make the exchange. Also took my rods and waders just in case I could find some open water on the way home. Boat exchange went well and thought I wasn't going to get an opportunity to fish as the first 3 spots that I sometimes fish were all frozen solid with maybe a 10 foot section near spillways open.

Stopped at one last spot and found a decent open spot. Started fishing around 2:00 pm. and fished to 4:00 pm. With the strong winds and cold that was about all I wanted to take. Not use to wading in water with ice around your waders. Glad I had that new pair of neoprene waders. Felt pretty warm except for the hands. They felt like they were going to fall off by the time I stopped.

Had good fishing and got about 10 hits and landed 4 fish. One small sunfish, two small crappies and one decent sized crappy. Had to count the fly down and then work fly super painfully slow. The bites were very light and quick and you had to set the hook fast. The bigger crappie just woofed it down and took off.

Tonight it is to get in the teens with a high in the 20's tomorrow so it may be awhile before I get another fishing opportunity.
It was fun, now that my hands have thawed out.
Organism Fish Fisherman Marine biology Recreational fishing
Hand Water Finger Fish Fishing
Fish Fishing Recreational fishing Grass Ray-finned fish
Hand Fish Marine biology Fisherman Fishing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts