BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is a new fishing year and any fishing reports should be few and far between. The saltwater season seems so far away. For me the only local fishing will be freshwater, trying to scrounge up some sluggish largemouth, crappies, pickerel and sunfish when the weather permits. Luckily this coming weekend there is the Wild Wood Boating and Fishing Expo. and at the end of the month the Fly Show will make the winter go by a little faster. Like most of us April will not get here fast enough.

With no decent striper run in Cape May this fall, you just can't help wonder if there are any roaming along our beaches now. If I saw some signs of life I would think about it. Timer will tell.

Right now it is time to start cleaning gear and tying flies to get ready for spring.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looked on my calendar and saw last January 2nd that I had a good day of freshwater fishing. With another warm day and all the rain yesterday I figured that lakes would be thawed out and decided to give it a try. Got to lake around 3:00 pm. and found no ice except for one back section on the east end of the lake. Fished it hard using a baitfish pattern that normally catches. Used sinking line., I orked near surface, mid depth and down on the bottom and never got a single touch.

Switched over to bead head all black wooly bugger and got some small sunfish hits down on the bottom. No hook ups as I was using a larger wooly bugger. When I do catch a sunfish on the bigger bugger they are usually good size. Could of got some small sunfish if I went to smaller fly, but I was lazy and my hands were cold. Called it a day at 5:30 pm. I had enough fresh air and not having any fun.
Water Sky Cloud Atmosphere Plant
Water Sky Natural landscape Cloud Branch

· Registered
14,029 Posts
Brother in law told me they were getting 31 lb stripers off Lucy the Elephant 1/2 mile out yesterday.

I’ll hope to get out freshwater tomorrow or Thursday

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rob, at the rate the fall stripers are migrating south, they might make it to Cape May still heading south, when I launch the boat in April. The whole striper thing is so crazy anymore. Who knows what the new normal is or will be.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my buddies went to the same lake where I got skunked fishing for larger fish, where I had the sunfish hitting my larger flies. Yesterday, He fished there with his small sunfish flies using his 3 wt rod targeting those small fish and he too never caught a fish. Really odd as last year we were both able to catch fairly decent with similar conditions all winter long???

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wednesday was another tough freshwater trip. Again had perfect conditions. It was warm and cloudy and I didn't need any gloves. I fished 2:30 pm. to 4:30 pm. I tried a ton of different flies that usually always produce at this time of the year and all I could come up with was one little sunfish that took a all black fairly large wooly bugger. Did get maybe 8 or 10 other small sunfish hit on my larger fly but was really trying for bass and crappies.

Had a buddy who fished a different lake, who was trying for sunfish. He was frustrated as he never even got a single hit. Neither of us can figure out why we can't catch, like in previous years. Once in a while we would get tough trip. This year between the two of us we have fished six times and every trip has been poor.

Hard to have a positive attitude for the next trip.
Vertebrate Mammal Fish Recreation Ray-finned fish

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Rob, I do not just think it is us having a tough time with freshwater. I think there must be some unknown factor. I talked to two freshwater fishermen today at the Wildwood Fishing and Boating Expo who have been trying on the nice days this year and they were reporting their fishing as equally bad. They too said that they have always been able to catch a few bass and Crappies on nice days when there was no ice. Might be a moon thing, but who knows.

Speaking of the Wildwood Fishing and Boating Expo. Myself and two other buddies went there this morning. Great weather and it seemed to have a good turnout. Not much for us fly fishermen, but one buddy picked up a good flyrod and reel for a very good price.

For me it is sort of like old home week seeing many friends and businesses that I knew from my chartering days. Seemed like there were lot's of things worth looking at. Did hear that a fair number of stripers are finally down in the Cape May area, but with most marinas closed only those who trailer keep a boat behind their house have a shot. Even some reports of bass around the inlet and beach front jetties. The New Cape May Fishing, Too Little, Too Late.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
With the weather and the freshwater fishing pretty slow, I have found it tough to get motivate to even try. If we get some mild days with the wind not wanting to blow you off the face of the earth I will surely try.

Did hear that this past week there were finally some stripers along the beach taken by a lucky boater that still has his boat in the water. With most of the marinas now closed for the winter there are few that can even try. With my boat being all winterized and covered I am not interested in trailering and having to go through the whole process again. With the cold and the wind in an open boat, I find I do not need a striper that bad. Maybe in my younger years. Right now, I am just going to wait until spring.

· Registered
14,029 Posts
I may try again this week for something. There are some trout hiding at Birchgrove, there are white perch hanging up the rivers. I know our local ponds are sleeping right now, have to find something with a spring seep.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hope you can find some action. There is a pond down here that they stock with trout. I just never think to go and target them. Guess I will see you this Thursday night at the South Jersey Coast Fly Anglers, Start of the 20th year get together. I have some old photos from back in the day when we first started the club that I will bring.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like starsconty mentioned in other thread, it is not very user friendly out weather wise. Tides were super high this morning on my drive up the parkway to Cape May Court House. Just not the type weather you feel like being outside, or have the desire fish.

Looking forward to the Fly Show this weekend up at Edison NJ. For us fly fishermen it is our favorite show as they have everything you need, thought you might need, or didn't know you needed. I am going to go Friday. Need some specific fly tying stuff and always fun to see a lot of old friends and see what is new. Just a good all around fun day.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I too probably have enough materials to tie flies till the day I die, but anymore I mainly tie chartreuse/white clousers and I am out of bucktail in those two colors and I like the tungsten painted eyes. Probably should really use the other colors that I have as all the other colors catch just as well. I just like the way chartreuse stands out. Guess it is just a mental thing.

· Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a great time at the Fly Show yesterday. Went up with a couple of fly fishing buddies. Got to see a lot of old fly fishing friends, checked out all the booths and picked up a few things for tying. Hope to tie up some clousers soon for the up coming season.
Jacket Smile Cap Baseball cap Curtain
Plant Natural material Liquid Drink Personal care

1 - 15 of 15 Posts