BASS BARN banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks, I was hoping to get out again this morning, but 15 to 17 mph winds out of the southeast isn't great flyfishing weather in the ocean with big swells and surf, making it tough to fish the shallow water in close to the beach.

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Buddy Larry and I got out again this morning. We left the dock at 6:00 am in heavy fog. Again it was a toss up. Go to the back for stripers fishing the start of the outgoing tide or go to the ocean. I elected to go to the ocean as we would have a decent chance at some weakfish. Water in the ocean was 63 to 64 degrees and sort of a tainted green color. I was fairly clean and you could see your fly down about 2 1/2 feet.

After about 10 casts I hooked into a nice bluefish that bit me off before we could net it. Then Larry hooked a fish and we were surprised to see it was a tog. Then I hooked tog and a couple of minutes later we had a double hook up of tog. Really weird as we do not get that many tog on a fly and to catch 4 in short order is really strange. Too bad they are out of season. We decided to leave the tog alone and move on to another spot. It didn't take long for the fog to burn off. As it was lifting Larry caught our only striper of the day. Would of like to see it stay foggy, but it burned off and it was sunny and brite. We fished till 10:00 am. having to work for our three weakfish and 5 fluke. The fluke were all undersize. Again it was a chartreuse/white clouser fished on sinking line that worked well. All fish were released to be caught another day. Overall, it was a very good morning.
Water Fluid Ballistic missile submarine Outdoor recreation Body of water
Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Fisherman
Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Shorts
Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Goggles
Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Goggles
Water Fisherman Fishing net Fish Fin

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Spent Saturday at Grandkids Birthday Pool Part and got home late last night and looked at the weather for Sunday. I was hoping to fish the evening tide, but they were calling for a fairly decent wind, but the morning was to be pretty calm. It was too late to call my normal fly fishing buddies, but knew my buddy Larry always gets up around 5:00 am. every day.
I texted him and said if you can make it meet me at the dock at 6:15 am.

Larry made it and we left the dock at 6:30 am. and again we decided to hit the ocean instead of the back bay. Cleared the inlet and found the water to be 64.5 degrees and it looked like brown sewer water and that was with the high tide still trickling in. We found cleaner water at a couple of other spots with water temps up to 66.6 degrees. We did see a few small pods of bunker working along the beach front, but nothing was pushing it.

We fished till 10:30 am. and it was a very slow pick for us. Larry caught the fish of the day. A nice 27 1/2 inch striper, that he released. He also got the only weakfish of the day. All I got was one tog and a throwback fluke. We just didn't get many hits at all and the water looked pretty dead with no signs of any small baitfish anywhere. Everything was caught on chartreuse/white clousers using sinking line. I ended up hooking a large skate by the tail. It really put up a good fight, but was a big disappointment when I got it to the surface. That was our sign to end the day. Not quite the trip I expected, but Larry's nice bass made his day.
Water Sky Outerwear Boat Vertebrate
Arthropod Insect Beetle Automotive lighting Feather
Water Sky Boat Shorts Sleeve

21 - 25 of 25 Posts