BASS BARN banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Pretty fish Ron. When you released him did you to him to bring it Grandmom or Grandpop back to kick you butt?:D

Decided to go out this morning and try for some fluke. I invited my afternoon charter to go out with me since he was down for the weekend.

Again another low flow tide and the wind was blowing pretty good when we left the dock. With the stronger than predicted wind we decided to try and get out of the wind and work the beach front for stripers.

Found the water there not real clean but decent. With the wind and wave action, casting flies was no picnic, so we decided to hit the inside the inlet and fish the rocks.

We had one hit between us and I landed a 18 inch striper that took a clouser on sinking line. Fish must of really been hungry as it took the fly deep and ripped part of the gills and was bleeding really bad when I got it in the boat.

With the wind we decided not to try for fluke and headed in hopes of better fishing this afternoon on the stronger incoming tide.

We fished hard for three hours for that one fish. No signs of any bait fish or bird activity. Hope this afternoon on his charter we see better action.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Charter got his first keeper striper on a fly rod.

Left the dock at 4:00 pm with my one person fly charter. The wind was still blowing pretty good and the tide still had about an hour to go before starting in. With the wind we headed out to the ocean to hide from the westerly wind. Found the water along the beach front very brown with a good amount of weed in it. We decided to move back to the inlet and fight the wind as the water was cleaner.

The first hour of fishing we did not get a single hit but as the tide changed wind fizzled out and it became very pleasant. We kept working hard and picked up the first sea herring of the year, all of which I kept to filet down and salt for bait.

Finally my charter hooked into something decent. It turned out to be a nice keeper striper which took a chartruese/white clouser on sinking line. It was his first ever keeper striper on the fly rod. Since it was a male he decided to keep it for dinner.

Shortly after he caught his bass the tide started to move and the wind again picked back up and shifted to out of the southeast making it choppy and difficult to fish forcing us to fish inside the inlet with the looked good and we could hide from the wind. Picked up one more herring before calling it a night.

When wind kicked up and the sunset it got pretty cold and it felt good to head in.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Saturday...fished Absecon inlet, north jetty, Brigantine beach front and wreck inlet. Not a touch. Water was dirty until the top of the tide. Not much flow. Marked some bait here and there. Nothing to get excited about. Still a very nice day to be on the water.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
We assumed it was as it was long and skinny. Could not really tell till we cleaned it. This time of year the females usually have a bit of a belly. Many times the males do tot, but the odds were good it was a male.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Too Nice A Day

Helped Paul from the fly club put his boat in the water around noon time. We took it for a spin heading out to the inlet. The water was as clean and nice as it get here in Cape May. You could see down to the bottom of the rocks along the jetty and there was no wind at all.

We decide to run in and get my boat and go fishing. Just as we left the to go out the wind shifted from north west to Northeast and picked up pretty good. There was actually white caps on the way out to the ocean. We decided hide from the wind on the south side of the jetty. Water looked like we were in Florida. With the bright sun it was probably too nice. We worked it super hard caught a few sea herring everyonce in a while. In the clear water we were getting hits and misses on our clouser so we switched to jiggies and with the hook set further back in the fly our hook up ratio improved.

We could actually see small shools shoot by and we had to try and get a cast into them before they were gone.

Water was so clear we could see tog spawning and coming up to the surface in pairs and at one point in about 8 feet of water we saw about a 7 foot shark cruise under the boat with what looked like a keeper striper or drum fish trailing behind it.

No stripers but had fun with the herring. I think it was just too nice of a day, water too clear and again not much movement in the tide with only 3.7 feet of tidal flow. Nothing to get the fish excited into feeding.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Wanted to go fishing today, but when I went up to the beach, in the early afternoon, to check out the ocean the strong northeast winds had it chopped up with waves crashing on the inlet rocks.

4:30 this afternoon I decided to hit the gym and then go freshwater fishing but on my way over the bridge out of Cape May it looked like the wind died down a bit so I hung a right and headed to the boat instead. Left the dock at 5:00PM and with the tide going out for a little bit, I decided to try some back bay creek mouths as they usually produce this time of year.

Worked the back for two hours and hit about 5 good spots. Water looked good, flows looked good but no hits and no signs of any life anywhere so I shot out to the inlet.

Water outside was very clean and pretty calm on the leeward side. Next hour and quarter not a strike or any signs of life and it looked like it was going to be a skunky night. Then just as I was about to pull my fly out of the water a good size bluefish came up and inhaled my clouser. (looked to be 5 to 8 lb size) It took out about 30 feet of line and bit off my clouser.

I put on another clouser and in the last hour caught a 19 and a 24 inch striper along with one sea herring to get rid of the sunk.
Again no signs of any bait fish, just some dolphins showing once in awhile.

Nice way to end the day and better than going to the gym.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
No Fly Fishing But A Good Night With Charter

This afternoon, with a decent northeast wind blowing I checked out the beach front with the binoculars and could see decent wave activity in the inlet with some waves crashing on the rocks and the ocean had a fair amount of chop, so it looked like tonights charter was going to fish in the back bay.

I left the dock at 4:30 pm with a husband wife. I knew they were not fly fishermen and not knowing their casting skills I also brought along some clam bellies and fresh clams in case we had to go that route.

When we left the dock the tide was still coming in but it looked a lot dirtier than it should of so on our way to the back bay decided to check out the inlet. I was hoping to see some bird play, but there was zero. Wind was still blowing out of the northeast but not as hard as earlier in the day so I decided to try in the ocean before heading to the back.

Turned out to be the right move. I had them casting swimming plugs. They caught 3 stripers with the biggest being this 29 1/2 inch keeper which they elected to release.

Also we saw the first bluefish action of the season. They managed 6 bluefish and 2 sea herring with this guy being the biggest of the night and since they didn't want it, I kept it for dinner tomorrow night.

About an hour into our fishing the wind shifted more to the south east, making it a little more choppy. His wife started feeling a bit seas sick so the last 1/2 hour of their trip we headed to the back bay. We worked a prime spot with popping and sinking plugs but never got a hit or saw any signs of life. Hope some of this fish along the beach front move in to our back areas as they are way over due.

Charter had a fun time and it was a good night of fishing.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Another light tackle charter Saturday night. Left the dock 4:00 pm with a one person spin angler. It looked like a perfect striper night. Again like Friday night we had a pretty good East Northeast wind blowing. With the tide still coming in we found some shelter from the wind on the lee side of the inlet.

First cast he was into a bluefish and shortly there after it started to drizzle. It never rained hard but we had the constant light drizzle all night.

Acton was steady. The bluefish gave us most of the action and we caught about 25 with 4 as large as the biggest on Friday. He only got one 20 inch striper and missed one nice one that swiped at his plug right as he was pulling it out of the water. He also caught several Atlantic Sea Herring.

Just like yesterday the wind shifted to the southeast and picked up in speed. With about 1/2 hour left to fish we finally moved inside the inlet as it was getting a bit sloppy and the waves were starting to build up. With the drizzle and the temperature drop we could see vapor when we breathed and it felt much colder than it really was.

He kept 6 of the smaller bluefish for dinner and released the rest. He enjoyed his night as he had never fished for stripers or blues with light tackle and lures before.

Going to try and work with him on land and teach him how to fly cast for his next trip as he said he would like to give flyfishing a shot.

No pictures tonight as I was busy removing hooks from fish and cleaning up the mess as a couple of the blues made the boat look like a butcher shop. I also thought we would get atleast one decent striper with the conditions as good as they were.

·
Administrator
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
We went 2 for 5 on smallish tarpon Sat. early AM beginning of in-coming outside Ridder Key on a rip created by the tide & rocks. Fish stayed in the area for almost an hour. Smallish chartreaus & white barred genetic streamer. After the fish left, we spent a couple of hours poling a near-by flat without seeing any targeted fish. Kind of a snotty ride home. My friend Serge Thomas with one of the rascals.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi Ray, where you getting those good looking clouser eyes,thanks John

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Ron, great picture! I know that is the size you like to catch as they don't drag you all over the place as you have said those 100 lb plus ones are too much work. That size looks like you can get all of the excitement with out the hours of chasing. Nice report.

John, anymore I get my eyes at the Fly show or what ever I can find where ever. Doing much fly fishing anymore?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ready to start fly fishing Ray.I do the chunking thing first I like to eat Striper.I make a mean Striper provolone.Have enough meat for now.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Very Slow Late Afternoon

Monday it was calm all day. Late afternoon I decided to go out fishing on the incoming tide. Just as I was ready to head to the boat the wind picked up out of the southeast and it got very foggy.

Decided not to fight the fog and the wind in the boat and headed over to the Point and fish from land. It use to be a great fly fishing area in the spring and I hadn't tried it yet this year.

On the start of the incoming the water wasn't too bad and I got three hits caught a sea herring and a small blue. With tonight's new moon tides, when the water started really flowing, it got very brown to the point that I couldn't see my fly down 6 inches in the water so I quit early.

There were a number of bait anglers fishing and I only saw a sand shark or two caught. Not the best fishing for the three hours I tried. I am sure it might of been better near the top of the tide but I couldn't hang around that long.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
The rips are a good place to fish. Difficult with a fly rod as the currents and boils are tough. Most of the time the water is very brown from the tide. Best fishing is close to high tide when water is cleanest. Even then you half to cast up current and let you heavy sinking line come vertical so you fly can get down in the water colum. I have caught there with heavy sinking line and clousers. It is a lot of work unless you get fish working near the surface.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Monday it was calm all day. Late afternoon I decided to go out fishing on the incoming tide. Just as I was ready to head to the boat the wind picked up out of the southeast and it got very foggy.

Decided not to fight the fog and the wind in the boat and headed over to the Point and fish from land. It use to be a great fly fishing area in the spring and I hadn't tried it yet this year.

On the start of the incoming the water wasn't too bad and I got three hits caught a sea herring and a small blue. With tonight's new moon tides, when the water started really flowing, it got very brown to the point that I couldn't see my fly down 6 inches in the water so I quit early.

There were a number of bait anglers fishing and I only saw a sand shark or two caught. Not the best fishing for the three hours I tried. I am sure it might of been better near the top of the tide but I couldn't hang around that long.
FULL Moon on 5/17/11 - NOT a New

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
You are right! I was thing full moon but typed in new. Thanks for correction. This full moon is usually the one that gets everything going. Drum, stripers in the back, etc.

Really good morning! It was suppose to be cloudy with showers according to the weather man last night with increased winds later in the day with Thunder Storms.

Got up at 7:00 am and it was bright and sunny with very light wind. Left the dock at 7:30 am and shot out the inlet. Still fairly good swell activity from the wind yesterday but it was nice and the water looked good.

Using clousers on sinking line I had steady action the whole time I fished the ocean catching 4 small stripers 18 to 22 inches and 6 blues that were all the same 18 inches. Did loose 2 flies to them.

The surprise catch was the first tog on the fly for the year. They fight hard like a striper. It is just a surprise when you bring it up to the net and see a dark fish.

Fished the ocean till 10:00 am and with the tide starting out I headed to the back to see if any fish came in with the full moon tide last night.
Spotted some white herons picking along a sod bank in the back. Shot over and saw a couple of fish boils switched over to a bucketail deceiver on intermediate line and caught a quick 2 bass to 22 inches and another 18 inch blue.

Worked a couple other spots and picked another two small bass 18 and 19 inches and missed another.
Caught the last bass at 11:30 am as the clouds started rolling in.

No big fish but a whole lot of fun.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts