BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing to report for the new month. Blew like stink on Friday and Last night I clocked gusts to 50 mph. It is just sit and wait for the weather to moderate. One of my buddies fished freshwater the other day when I got skunked. He got one decent crappie, but the gnats were out in full force, taking some of the fun out of fishing. Another buddy, the same day, fly fished Cape May Point and scrounged up a couple of very small stripers on the fly using sinking line. Tomorrow I am off sailing the remote control boats up in Mt Laurel and hoping for a few shots in the salt next week. Might try and hit a pond on the way back home tomorrow as I never leave home without a rod in the car.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
yardwork and watching grandkids baseball games, was about it for me :D

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got to sail Sunday up in Mt Laurel. Just a perfect day. We had good winds and had a great day of sailing, getting in 8 races. One of the guys who races with us is a commercial crabber in the Chesapeake and he made up a big batch of crab soup for us to have after sailing. Had a lot of fun and a great lunch.

On the way home I stopped at a lake and fished for about an hour. Was a bit disappointing. Caught one small pickerel that might of went a whole 8 inches. It was the only hit or sign of life that I saw. Hoping to get out saltwater fishing this week as I need to get back on track.
RC May 2  1.jpg
RC May 2  2.jpg
RC May 2 11.jpg

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Got out today for a short while fishing poppers. Managed 4 small bass, a few more hits and I'm sure I could have gotten more since I found them cruising one shoreline of a local lake. This was the smallest with the others a bit bigger but not "big"

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least you got some action. On a popper, even more fun.

Thought I was going to take a third skunking in a row today. Wind was to die down around 1:00 pm today so Paul and I left the dock at 1:00 pm and headed to the ocean to fish the incoming tide.. Water was fairly clean, almost 50 degrees, but again there was a pretty good ground swell so we couldn't fish some of the spots that we really wanted to. First three hours worked 5 prime spots we and again did not have a single hit. There were no signs of any baitfish or bird play and at the top of the tide with no water movement we tried one last spot and caught a quick 4 stripers in a row, with one being a slot size bass. Sometimes you just have to stick it out and fight to the very end of the trip to make something happen. It is tough mentally to keep casting all that time without a strike and feel confident that you will catch. It is just a matter of putting your fly in front of a fish. The late rally made our day and we headed back to the dock with smiles. I got my three fish on chartreuse/white clouser, using sinking line. Paul caught his on a Pink/white clouser also using sinking line.
IMG_1030 (2).jpg
IMG_1033 (3).jpg
IMG_1036 (2).jpg

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was away Friday and Saturday up at daughters and didn't get in any fishing. Had a friend, who was out in his boat fly fishing. He got two dink stripers 16 and 18 inches and spotted as small bit of bird play. (his first bird play sighting of the year) He caught one sea herring underneath the play before it disbursed. Slow fishing, but he got a few. Still has been pretty windy. Hoping to find a nice day this week to get out. We are due for some nice weather.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got up this morning and found there to be little to no wind. After breakfast decided to squeeze in a quick trip. Quick few phone calls and no one could fish within the next half hour, so I headed out myself to fish the out going tide in the ocean. Water in the ocean was almost 55 degrees and very brown. With still a decent sea swell I could not fish were I normally like too. First fish was a sea herring that took chartreuse/white clouser. Caught a quick 4 more. They all seemed to be good size. Probably could of caught more, but two sharks came up chasing them on the surface and broke up the school. They looked like 5 foot brown sharks.

Tried 3 other spots and managed a 15 inch striper. Fished a full 2 1/2 hours and did not feel like beating a dead horse so I came in. Had some fun, but expected better.
IMG_1039.jpg
IMG_1040.jpg

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Got a light wind morning, but got a late start as I had a morning doctors appointment. Buddy Peter and I got on the water around 11:00 am. and headed to the ocean to fish the out going tide. Water was nice and clean and around 55 degrees. Talked to a couple of friends who were out on the water before us. One boat got a few small stripers and the other got a couple of small stripers and his first weakfish of the season. For us it started off slow and remained tough the whole trip. First two hours of fishing neither of us got a hit and we saw no signs of life, even though conditions looked super. Finally I got my first hit and landed the only fish of the trip. A little 16 1/2 inch striper. We worked a number of spots and even tried the back bay for a half hour before heading to the dock, getting no hits there. Was a pretty dismal trip, but a great day to be on the water.
IMG_1043.jpg

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't believe that I didn't fish today. Rarely will I let a super nice day go by with out fishing, but with the fishing so slow right now and after fishing yesterdays super low high tide with poor results, I didn't want to repeat yesterdays poor fishing as todays' high was even lower than yesterday. Seems like those super low high tides do not get much tidal flow and the fishing is generally poorer. The night tide would be the one to fish but high isn't till late at night. Going to give it a break and wait for a better tide. Will sail RC boats at Spring Lake New Jersey tomorrow and see if fishing improves. So far this has been one of the poorer spring striper runs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts