BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October seem to go by in a flash. The first two days of November so far have not been fly fishing user friendly. Last night it blew like stink down here in Cape May. This morning I had to go for some blood work and on the way back I stopped by Delaware Bay, just to do a look see, with the wind still blowing pretty hard out of the northwest.

Would not want to be out there in any type of sport boat. It was just plan nasty. Even the pictures do not represent how bad it really looked. The inlet into the bay from the canal even had big breaking waves. I missed seeing the ferry go out. It was half way across. I was surprised they even ran as many times they will not run in high winds. Since there was an out going tide it was probably not as bad as it could of been.
842.JPG
843.jpg
844.jpg
845.jpg

·
Registered
13,247 Posts
I really like those conditions... when watching from shore!

Very picturesque :)

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was light winds when I got up this morning. Got a later start than I wanted as I had a number of things to do before I could head off. Left the dock at noon and the wind had already picked up pretty good out of the south so I knew fishing the ocean would be iffy. With the tide already starting out I decided to work the creek mouths in the back before trying out front. Water 58 to 59 degrees and very brown. I worked 7 different spots. They all looked dead with no bait fish or signs of life but I managed 3 small bass to 16 inches out of two creek mouths, using chartreuse/white clouser on intermediate line.

With the fishing slow I decided I would try the ocean. It was a mistake. Water was around 59 degrees and the water was more brown than the back bay. Also the wind was blowing pretty strong and it was all chop and wave action with white caps. Tried fishing on the north of the inlet where it was sheltered from the wind . Water there was just as ugly brown and I got zero hits and figured I would call it a day.

Stopped at the fuel dock and gassed up and decided I would do a quick run up mill creek and try a couple of creek mouths before heading in. Found one spot in 2 1/2 to 4 feet of water where the stripers were sitting and feeding in the out flow and in 1/2 hour caught a quick 8 small stripers to 17 1/2 inches. I would get them on just about every cast. After catching all that were there (the bite stopped) I headed back to the dock at 2:30 pm. Was a nice fun afternoon
846.jpg
847.jpg
848.jpg
850.jpg

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another beautiful day. I thought I would give it another shot. Left the dock at noon again to fish the outgoing tide. Headed off to the ocean first. Perfect fishing conditions other than the water looking like liquid mud where I wanted to fish along the beach. The water temperature was 59 degrees. Even with the poor visibility a caught two small stripers in the first 15 minutes. About 15 minutes later I hooked my first speckled trout of the fall. Decided to lift it out of the water instead of netting it and it came off. Worked the area for another hour and half, hoping for more specks or a redfish and never got another hit.

Next move was to the back bay. The first 7 spots I got one more small bass. Ended up at the end of the trip back at where I caught at the end of the day yesterday and got three more small stripers
881.jpg
. 6 stripers on the day with the biggest only 18 inches. Fun afternoon and everything caught on Chartreuse/white clousers. Just beautiful weather for November. Fished all afternoon in just a flannel shirt.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tend to use sinking lines in the ocean when fishing the inlet, jetties along the beach or the beach. Works great to get down when there is a lot of current and also in the shallower water you can bounce the clouser along the sandy bottom or close to it for the specks, reds and stripers. I like casting the sinking directly at rocks and long medium speed strips. Your fly starts at the surface and works down the to the bottom covering all the fish zones as it goes down.

In the back bay I rarely use sinking unless I am fishing a rip line or deep sod bank . Most of the time I use the intermediate. When working the creek mouths I cast across the current like you would do for trout. Figure the fish are facing into the current and when your fly comes down and across current the fish sort of sees the side profile of the fly. Mainly use floating for popping flies and deceivers when in very shallow water..

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When they say Right Place at the Right Time. That was me today. Decided to go out at 1:00 pm. to play with a few little stripers in the back bay. Left the dock and went to the back where I have been finding some small stripers to take my clousers the last few days. With the tide going out again, it was a little higher in the tide than the last two days. Fished it for 15 minutes with out a hit and decided to move and come back and hit it later in the out going tide.

Shot to the back bay and worked two creek mouths with no hits and moved on. The next spot was a small rip line where I hit the mother load of migrating stripers Water was 60 degrees, a bit brownish, but looked pretty good. Water depth was 2 to 4 feet with a fairly strong current flow. In the first few minutes I hooked up my first striper, which was over the bonus slot 24 inches. It was the best fish that I had caught in awhile and little did I know it was the start of a fantastic afternoon, that would just get better and better.

There were zero signs that there were any fish. I saw no bait fish and no swirls, but the fish must of been stacked like cord wood. I started catching fish on just about every cast. I would cast across the rip line, take a couple of strips and Bam! I would be hooked up. In the shallow water they would run like bone fish and really fought great. I would take me longer to reel in the fish and unhook them then to cast out and hook one up. It was one fish after another with most going 22 to a little under 24 inches, I had two slot bonus fish on the night and released them both. Did have a nice 23 1/2 inch bass that will probably die as it was bleeding from where it inhaled my silicone mullet and was hooked in the gills. All the fish were hitting with gusto like they were starving.

I started with intermediate and a chartreuse/white clouser. Just to try something different I switched to a peanut bunker fly and then a silicone mullet fly. They both caught well. I hooked on really nice bass that was around the low 30 inches. Thought I had him for sure, but it took on last run, shook it's head and threw the hook. I was using a clouser with a fairly small hook. There might not of been enough gap to penetrate the jaw like on the smaller fish. I just kept casting and catching and was going to work it till the bite stopped..

As the sun was setting the tide was weakening, the water was getting a lot cleaner and I switched over to a popping fly for the rush of a surface strike. Ended up catching fish till 5:30 pm. just about when the tide completely stopped. Near the end there seemed to be more smaller fish around in the 18 inch length. I quite at 5:30 pm. as it was pretty dark, starting to get a little cooler and we hit the dew point and everything was soaking wet including me.

It has been many years since I had action like tonight and it was definitely my most exciting striper trip of the year. All the fish were migrating as they were all sliver/white, nice and chunky and most had sea lice on their fins. Fishing was as good as you could ever dream. I ended up catching 32 stripers and I went home feeling really great with a good case of striper thumb. It was just one of those perfect fishing trips.
882.JPG
883.JPG
885.JPG
890.JPG
886.JPG
892.JPG
897.jpg
895.jpg

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday was the most exciting fishing that can remember. I have had trips where I caught them that fast and furious but they were mostly 12 to 15 inch fish. These were a perfect fly rod fish, making nice runs and taking you on all sides of the boat. No wind, warm and a beautiful sunset. Right now it is heavy heavy fog. It has been like this the last three mornings and again no wind. Might try and get out again late this afternoon as tomorrow is a sailing day up in Mt Laurel with the remote control sailboats.

Here are the flies that worked for me yesterday. A popper that one of my charters gave me years ago. A beat up clouser that has caught at least 25 stripers this season. A silicone mullet that I use to fish a lot years ago and a old rusty hook peanut bunker fly that I haven't used in years, but always worked.
899.jpg

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another great trip. Not as good as yesterday but pretty close. Left the dock at 3:00 pm. to fish the out going in the back with the tide about a 1/3 of the way out. Got to where I fished yesterday at about the same exact tide. Water looked a little brownish and was 60 to 61 degrees and just like yesterday there was little to no wind.

Thought I would shake things up a little and I put on a large purple/white deceiver. It really looked alive in the water. After about 5 minutes I got my first hit an missed it. Then I had 5 more hits and misses. Then I finally hooked up and landed a little 14 inch striper and figured there must of been small guys trying to eat the big fly. Switched back the trusty clouser and started hooking up. The first 7 fish were all small guys from 12 to 15 inches. Then I went for about 1/2 hour without a hit. Was going to leave but figured I would give it a little more time. (it was a good decision)

The sun was getting lower as was the tide and the water was clearing up just like the day before. From 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm. I had good solid action and switched back to the deceiver and near the end the popping fly. Not as hot as yesterday but nice and steady action. I ended up catching 11 more stripers from 18 inches to one that was 1/4 inch over bonus tag keeper size. 4 were in the 22 to 23 1/2 inch size and again all the fish were nice and chunky and put up a good fight. Many had sea lice on them.

It was another super good night with spectacular weather for November. I regretfully left with the fish still biting hot at 5:00 pm. as I was to cook dinner on the barbecue at 6:00. Don't know if I could of matched yesterday trip, but believe I would of gotten into the 20's as I had 18 when I quit.
900.jpg
901.jpg
902.jpg
904.JPG
IMG_0012.jpg
906.jpg

·
Registered
13,247 Posts
Does that make you think about the old days? :D

Great reports, congrats!

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it use to be like this most summers on good tides. Every creek, out flow and point use to hold fish and you you catch several keeper size stripers a week. First year taking charters out the biggest bass in the back was 42 inches. Next year biggest was 39, then 38 inches and it just kept going down year after year. Now if you are lucky you see on or two regular keeper size a year and if so they are just a little over 28 inches.

Back then there was bait fish of all kinds around all the sod banks, in the creeks and everywhere. Near sunset there would be swirls and pops all over the place. Every spot was great. In the fall there would be massive amounts of mullet running around the back and gathering at the inlets. Now we hardly see any bait all year. There is nothing gathering around the inlet in the fall and when the migrating bass come, they look around the back and leave when they find nothing. You just have fight to catch what you can when you can. It has been going down hill for a number of years. All we can do is hope some stupid fish will come in like they have this week and try and take advantage while you can cause the action is short lived.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove to Mt Laurel this morning to race remote control sailboats only to find perfect fishing weather. We might of had 2 mph winds at best the whole time we raced, making for very tough sailing at best. Got an early start home and got back to Cape May by 3:00 pm.. With warm weather and no winds I unloaded and packed up for fishing and was out in the boat, leaving the dock by 3:30 pm to fish the outgoing tide..

Water was a little higher than the previous 2 days. Headed to the back bay and worked a few creek mouths and picked up 2 very small stripers on a chartreuse/white clouser. Ended up where I have been catching the last two nights. Water just like the last two days was a bit brown and 61 to 63 degrees. It later cleaned up as the tide got lower. Worked it for about 15 minutes before catching a striper. Again is was a little guy around 16 inches. Started getting a few more small ones and then had a guy in a boat, with a passenger and 3 kids rode right up the shallow 3 1/2 foot gully between the sand bar and the sod bank on the down side of the rip I was fishing spooking any fish that might of been coming in from the deeper water. Just don't think he realized what he did. He looked like a novice fishermen. If he had stayed off on the other side of the narrow sandbar he also could of fished that gully. Without and electric motor he killed his chance and mine of catching. You just can't do that in real shallow water.

Luckily he made one drift and left a little before dark. About 15 minutes after he left the action picked up and I got a couple of decent fish including two keeper bonus tag size fish. The last 4 fish including the two biggest all hit a pooping fly and really made my day. Ended up with 9 fish on the night and headed back to the dock at 6:00 pm as it was getting cooler and damp with the low dew point.

The last three nights have just been perfect weather days for November and the fishing has been super. Don't know if it will last as there is really nothing for the fish to feed on and maybe keep the fish here for awhile. Just hope we get a few more waves of fish to come down as the end of the season is coming on fast and for sure the weather will be much colder and less enjoyable to fish in a small open boat.

908.jpg
909.jpg
910.jpg

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couldn't do the afternoon night time out going tide fishing today so I decided to fish the last of the incoming in the ocean for stripers, specks and redfish. Left the dock at 12:30 pm. and headed to the ocean. Was disappointed that the water was till fairly brown. I would of thought with all these calm days that it would be nice and clean. It was also very warm for this time of the year. 61.8 to almost 63 degrees.

Went down beach to fish some structures with chartreuse/white clouser and sinking line. I went 20 minutes before I got my first hit and landed a nice keeper striper. It was nice and chunky and put up a good fish getting into about 20 feet of backing. Got a picture, released it and thought he might have a few friends and I would be in for another super day, but that didn't happen. Went another 20 minutes and changed to a different spot where I got a 13 1/2 inch striper. Third spot I got 3 more small stripers 16 to 18 inches. The last spot I got zero hits, the tide was pretty slack so I called it a day at 3:00 pm.

Another fantastic November day when you could fish in a shirt and catch a few fish. Trying to take advantage of every day like this that I can.
913.JPG
914.JPG
915.jpg
916.jpg
917.jpg

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had to work hard for my fish tonight. We had another beautiful day in Cape May today except it was a lot more wind. Decide to fish the start of the outgoing tide till after dark as it weather is to change later in the week. Left the dock at 4:00 pm. It was a lot windier than I thought. Flags were blowing straight out at the marina. Looked like it was about 15 mph. Headed to the back bay and found the water 63 to 64 degrees and fairly brown. Started out working creek mouths as there was already some flow coming out. Worked two creeks with no hits. Third one, right after the sunset, with still a lot of after glow, produced 4 small stripers for 16 to 18 inches. Two were caught on chartreuse/white clousers using intermediate line and two were caught on a popping fly using floating line. The wind was a bit of pain for maneuvering and casting, especially with the popper as I had to cast into the wind.

The bite stopped after dark and I tried 3 other spots in the last hour and got zero hits. With the wind, dampness and the cooler temps I had enough and headed back to the dock at 6:00 pm., with the winds still blowing as strong as when I left the dock. (It was suppose to start dying down before dark) Still a fun night.
918.jpg
919.jpg

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saturday was a bit too windy and from the wrong direction for me to fish the time and tide that I wanted, so I did the next best thing. Race remote control sailboat with my buddies up in Ocean City. Next best thing to fishing. Did notice that there was no bait fish in the lagoon, where all summer it was just loaded. Was hoping to go freshwater fishing near dusk last night, but we had good sailing wind and sailed late into the afternoon.

With the winds blasting today, it is not a user friendly fishing day for salt or freshwater fishing.
920.jpg

·
Registered
13,247 Posts
Do you ever “lose control” of a boat, and if so, what is your recovery process?

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once in awhile a battery could go low, or two boats could get tangled. In Ocean City we used the boat in the foreground to set the buoys and to pick up any boats that might have a problem. We had 8 guys sailing yesterday and only had to go out once for a boat where guy was not paying attention and he sailed behind a docked boat and got pinned against the bulkhead. We use the same radio and receivers that they use in model airplanes. If you can see your boat the radio will control it.

When we sail at yacht clubs they always have a launch to do the same. When we race on lake we have a dingy that we row out if needed. Boat are pretty reliable if you look after them.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even with all the wind blasting all day I thought I would give freshwater fishing a shot as I knew a spot were I could fish and be some what sheltered from the wind. My last freshwater trip was pathetic and I got skunked. Had a friend who went earlier this week and said he and three others were fishing and they only got one fish, which is really bad for this time of the year.

I was on the fence about going or not and decided to Just Do It, with modest expectations. Water in the lake was about a foot higher than the last time that I fished, from all the rain. Got to where I thought I could fish and it didn't look too bad except for leaves blowing off the trees into the water, but it was fishable.

Turned out to be another one of those days where I was in the right spot at the right time. Second cast I got a largemouth on a all black bead head wooly bugger. A couple of casts and I had another and then a bite off. Switched to a baitfish pattern and started catching hot and heavy like the fish had not eaten forever. Nothing super big, but all nice fun size fish on light flyrod. Did catch two fish on a black popping fly, but with the wind, all the leaves on the surface it was more work than fun.

It was an exceptional good night of fishing. I fished for 2 hours, quitting at 5:00 pm. Ended up catching 12 Largemouth, 2 small crappies and a decent pickerel. (looked for my bit off fly, but he wasn't the one.) Would of probably fished longer but it started getting cooler, the wind was getting stronger and it shifted a bit just covering the water with leaves. As a bonus I was treated to a great sunset, making for a much better night than I had expected when I left the house
921.jpg
922.jpg
923.jpg
924.jpg
925.jpg
926.jpg

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In my report I said I had a great sunset to make the trip that much more special. Here some pictures to show how beautiful it was. Just couldn't of been any better for a trip I almost didn't do.
927.jpg
928.jpg
929.jpg
930.jpg
931.jpg

·
Registered
13,247 Posts
Great report Ray! I have the grandsons in again :)D) and we had a catfish blitz on bait Saturday evening. Literally, had 5 rods in the water and 5 hits within 20 minutes with 4 big cats (3 bullhead, 1 channel) and 1 rod lost to another big cat when I was helping one of the others. These were all nice rod benders, 6-10lbs I would estimate. One maybe bigger.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts