BASS BARN banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Too bad about losing the rod. Nice size fish for young kids. I was up visiting the grand kids after school today. Thought about taking them fishing but the wind was blowing pretty good. Instead we did the nature walk at the Cove in Palmyra. Had a good time and spotted 4 deer in the woods. Waiting to hear from a buddy of mine. He was to fish were I did last night. I am hoping he had similar luck and gives me a good report.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
We did a nature walk yesterday through Forsythe, showed them how to use binoculars, spotted a nice hawk (ID still TBD, have to get the photos out) and many other birds. Their mom (our daughter) and dad were looking at a home which we thought might "be the one", but alas I think they are going to pass on it. Looking forward to continued reports, I'll hit the sand sometime as long as the weather holds, but schedule is getting crazy. I envy how much you can get out, especially on the water! :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
When you are retired and live close to freshwater and saltwater it is easy get trips in. My boat is only 7 minutes away from the house so I can do short trips that do not hog the whole day. Most of my trips are 2 to 3 hours and rarely do I fish 4 hours making it easy to squeeze in a trip almost every day. Buddy that fished freshwater yesterday got a nice size sunfish and 4 largemouth at the spot that I fished. Was pretty windy until dusk. Maybe the low pressure front the day I fished made the difference, or may I caught most of the fish in that area and they were more cautious. Hope to get out soon, either fresh or saltwater.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With it cold and the wind still blasting around 20 mph I decided to check out the boat, to make sure it was still okay after a few days of heavy winds and then freshwater fish for a few hours. Started fishing at 3:00 pm. It was cold when I started. Waders, dressed for winter, foul weather jacket to cut the wind and winter hat over the ears. With breathable waders I was feeling pretty cold wading thigh deep in the water.

Action started off hot. First cast I caught a largemouth bass on a baitfish pattern using sinking line. In the next 10 casts I caught 3 more largemouth. Then in the next hour I had to work for two more. All 6 bass looked like they came out of the same mold as they were all about the same size. After getting no hits for a while I switched over to a small black bead head wooly bugger. Had three small hits and landed one small sunfish to end the trip. By 5:00 pm. I had enough. My hands were cold, I was cold and the wind was still blasting with the temperature in the upper 30's. Was glad I went, but not as much fun as fishing when it is warmer.
932.jpg
933.JPG
934.jpg

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Again the wind was blowing pretty good. I wanted to go saltwater fishing. The tide decent, but the wind was blowing from a bad direction for where I wanted to fish, so I switched gears and went freshwater fishing. Hit the lake a little earlier today. Started fishing at 2:00 pm. Got one small bass on the baitfish pattern that I had been catching on, but after a half hour and only one fish I changed over to a little smaller but brighter fly. Still wasn't setting the world on fire. I caught another bass about the size of the first, so I started working it deeper down and started to catch. Using sinking line I would count down 12 seconds before starting to strip. This got my fly deep near the bottom and working the fly very slow I got more action. Caught two nice size sunfish and 5 really nice size crappies.

Tried a black popping fly for a while but never got a touch. A few minutes before 5:00 pm. I had enough. My legs were again pretty cold wearing the breathable waders and with the sun getting low it started getting colder. Another fun afternoon.
936.jpg
937.jpg
938.jpg
939.jpg
940.jpg
942.jpg

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wind was still blowing pretty good today, but it was a lot warmer, into the 60's. Decided to do a mid-day saltwater trip. Plan was to hit the ocean and go down beach and fish the out going tide for some specks and redfish, before our water gets too cold and that opportunity is gone. Left the dock a t 12:30 pm. Got about half way down the inlet rocks and I could see that the windward side was nasty with strong winds, white caps and a lot of wave activity. Made a quick U-turn and went with plan B which was to fish the back.

First creek mouth I caught two small stripers in 3 feet of water on chartreuse/white clouser using intermediate line. Next three creeks produced no fish or hits and I moved on to find fish. Ended up finding 2 other spots where I caught 6 more small stripers with one being a little better and much chunkier than the others. With the water getting pretty low and no more hits I called it a day at 3:30 pm. Had a fun afternoon playing with the small guys on the flyrod and it felt good to be sitting in the boat instead of wading in freshwater feeling like my legs were frozen. Water temperature in the back bay was 52 to 53.
943.jpg
944.jpg
945.JPG
946.JPG
947.jpg
948.jpg

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Really nice day for fishing today. I think everyone and their brother who had their boat in the water was out fishing today. I decided to go saltwater fishing and hit the last of the incoming tide out in the ocean. Left the dock at 11:30 am. Got out the inlet and it looked like a parking lot with all the boats fishing for sea bass and tog and all tied up against the jetties. I counted over 20 boat. Wind was very light and surf was only breaking on the beach. The plan was to try for specks, redfish and stripers. Water was in the lower 50's and very brown, at least where I fished in close to the beach. The first hour and a half I had three hits and landed 3 stripers all about the same size. They all hit chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. It was one hit every half hour of casting. The last half hour I didn't get a hit so I swithched to plan B, which was to go into the back and fish the out going tide.

Water in the back bay was 52 to 53 degrees and much cleaner than the ocean. I worked 7 spots and connected with 4 more stripers. They all hit the same clouser only on intermediate line. They were all small from 16 to 18 inches long. After putting in 2 more hours in the back I called it a day at 3:30 pm. Had to work hard for all the fish with no one spot hot, but with the beautiful weather it was a great day.
950.JPG
951.jpg
952.jpg

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got up this morning and found the wind was blowing less they they expected. 10 to 15 mph from the northwest and I thought I could sneak out and hug the beachfront, find some shelter from the wind and maybe catch a few fish. Left the dock at 12:00 pm. and headed to the ocean to fish the incoming tide. Saw only one boat anchored up along the jetty fishing for sea bass and tog.. The wind was still blowing pretty strong. The air temperature was in the 40's. The water was 54 to 55 degrees, but the water looked like liquid mud. (I guess from all the rain and wind yesterday.) Headed into the beach to fish some structure in 3 to 6 feet of water. With the wind blowing off the land it was nice and flat and not hard to control the boat.

With the tide not running all that hard yet, I got the first fish right away using a chartreuse/white clouser fished on sinking line. Then I worked it hard for 2 hours with the tide getting stronger and picked up three more stripers. Did loose 3 flies to the structure including where bass a little better than the ones I caught took me over the top of some semi-submerged structure that I couldn't work around to get it free. Unfortunately it really got stuck and it was on my fly line and not leader. It ended up cutting a couple of feet off my fly line.

I tried 3 other spots using my backup sinking line and a clouser, but got no hits as the water looked even uglier brown. Around 3 pm. I had enough cold and wind and called it a day. With the tide much higher I did see about 8 boats now sea bass and tog fishing. It felt good to get out and catch a few fish, even though it was a lot colder out than it has been. I already miss the warmer weather.
953.JPG
954.JPG
956.jpg

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
With the wind out of the southeast most of the day striper fishing was out as there would be decent surf and chop along the beach and in the back bay I would rather fish the outgoing tide this late in the year. Plan B was to go freshwater fishing. As I was arriving to fish my buddy Paul was leaving. He fished noon to 12:30 pm till 3:00 pm. and had a good day with sunfish, crappies and bass. He was catching using a all black bead head fished on sinking line and was getting most of his fish on the drop or very deep.

I decided to try something different. I actually put on a little bigger baitfish pattern than I normally use, hoping to attract some bigger fish. First fish I caught was the smallest of the afternoon and it hit a pretty good size fly. The next surprise was that I got two really good size sunfish that also hit that very large fly. I really do not know how they felt they could even try to eat such a large bait fish with such a small mouth. Since I was catching I continued on the rest of the afternoon with the same fly catching 2 decent size crappies and 3 more largemouth. I quit at 5:00 pm. as it was getting pretty dark and I had enough fun.

Water is getting pretty cold, the fish feel very cold to the touch and the key to catching seems to be to work the fly deep and very slow.
957.jpg
958.jpg
959.jpg
960.jpg
961.jpg

21 - 29 of 29 Posts