BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is the start of another month. It is suppose to be prime time for stripers. At least it use to be. It is hard to even imagine a good run anymore as the fish are just slow in moving down anymore with the waters so warm an no masses of bait fish to attract them. All I keep hearing is how great the fishing is up at Raritan Bay. The fish just seem to hang there till it gets cold and then they race down the coast in pretty much a straight line, which puts them about 12 miles off the Cape May beaches when they go by at the end of the month. Sure a few stragglers pass by in close enough to catch, but those numbers are so few compared to what we use to see and it is so late in the season most have pulled their boats out for the year.

I am too stupid to pull my boat early and will trying for the few that pass by close enough to catch. Mostly it is the super small ones that come in close. All we can do is hope a few decent ones come in by mistake. With past years declining it is hard to get too excited. I will be one of those idiots out there beating the dead horse till there is no life left in it. All we can do is hope we get a little shot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is the start of another month. It is suppose to be prime time for stripers. At least it use to be. It is hard to even imagine a good run anymore as the fish are just slow in moving down anymore with the waters so warm an no masses of bait fish to attract them. All I keep hearing is how great the fishing is up at Raritan Bay. The fish just seem to hang there till it gets cold and then they race down the coast in pretty much a straight line, which puts them about 12 miles off the Cape May beaches when they go by at the end of the month. Sure a few stragglers pass by in close enough to catch, but those numbers are so few compared to what we use to see and it is so late in the season most have pulled their boats out for the year.

I am too stupid to pull my boat early and will trying for the few that pass by close enough to catch. Mostly it is the super small ones that come in close. All we can do is hope a few decent ones come in by mistake. With past years declining it is hard to get too excited. I will be one of those idiots out there beating the dead horse till there is no life left in it. All we can do is hope we get a little shot.
Thanks for your insight. I'll be beating that dead horse also. mostly will be wreck fishing for tog but once again hoping they show up in southern cape may county.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very disappointing fishing trip in the boat today. I hadn't been out since Sunday morning and thought maybe a few bass might of had a chance to move down the beach a bit. Reports from a few friends was not very encouraging. They said it was dead. Buddy Paul and I met at the boat at 3:00 pm. to fish the incoming tide, My original plan was to fish the ocean and if no luck we would go to the back bay.

Just before we left the dock I got word from a reliable source that yesterday he had good striper action in the back at numerous spots. We got excited and shifted gears and decided to go straight to the back bay. We had about a 10 mph. northeast wind and the water was 61 degrees and fairly clean, with good incoming tide.

We worked the back super hard anticipating action at any moment. It never happened. We worked all the prime spots for 1 3/4 hours without a single decent hit. Paul fished a clouser and I fished a popping fly. Paul did get a couple of small hits from what looked to be very small snapper blues. We figured any bass that may have been there the day before, quickly left when they found little to no bait fish it feed on.

Frustrated we shot to the ocean. Water there was 61 degrees and fairly clean. We worked several prime spots there and never got a single hit. Highlight of the day was seeing a bald eagle fly over, Perfect weather and conditions. Just no fish. Very disappointed considering November is suppose to be prime striper fishing here in Cape May. Can't prove it by us.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Guys up here are drifting live spot, eels and big (7”) gulp on jigs. Brother in law went out Sunday and got only weed and there were no good reports, yesterday a different story for those who tried, good action. When I get out, I’ve still been getting the grandsons out for tog, and we had a good day yesterday as it is prime time and easy action for the kids.

Hope to get out with the fly rod next week as these mild temps keep holding. Will play around some spots from the sand and sod.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping to have a decent trip yesterday as I wanted to fish this morning. The weather for today is perfect for fishing this with only 4 mph winds. With no hits yesterday there was no incentive to even go out and try. You don't get many beautiful mornings like today. Still waiting for a few stripers to wander down.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With saltwater fishing pretty dead I decided to have a go at some freshwater fishing. It usually starts to pick up as fish have to feed up for the winter. Got to lake at 4:15 pm. Started slow, but I found a area where there were some fish. Caught 6 largemouth. 4 were decent size, one was small and one was super small. Also got two medium size sunfish. Everything was caught on and inch and a half long baitfish pattern, fished on sinking line. As it got dark I expected the action to get better and switched over to an all black popper that normally works great, but I never got a touch. Was dark by 6:30 pm. when I quit. Wasn't as dark as I would of like as there was a lot of moon. Always seems to be better when there is no light at all. Water levels are still super low. Lake seems to be down about a foot and a half. No sure if that has any effect on the fish. Had a good end of the day.
Water Vertebrate Sky Body of water Fisherman
Fishing net Fish Food Grass Tail
Fin Fish Fisherman Fishing Ray-finned fish
Vertebrate Organism Fish Grass Tail

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since the incoming tide didn't work the other day I thought I would try the out going tide. Larry and I left the dock at 8:00 am and headed to the back bay to catch the out going tide at some of our favorite spots. Larry started with a clouser and I started with a popper on floating line. We worked three prime spots without a hit. Water was nice and clean and61 to 62 degrees. Conditions looked perfect. Finally I got the first striper. It whoofed down my popper like it hadn't eaten in days. (probably didn't as we saw no signs of any baitfish).

After trying a few more spots with no luck we one last move before heading to the ocean. Here we both switched to clousers and scrounged up 3 more bass along a sod bank in 4 feet of water.

We figured the ocean had to be better, so we headed to the ocean, but were wrong. Water there was 61 degrees and pretty brown. We worked three spots and getting no hits we called it a morning at 12:00 noon. A bit disappointing but we had some fun. It felt like a September day. You could of worn shorts. Just too nice to get any migrator stripers to start thinking about moving south and the water is very warm for this time of the year
Fish Snout Fin Electric blue Ray-finned fish
Vertebrate Fin Fish Hood Ray-finned fish

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a somewhat slow morning on Saturday I decided to give fishing a rest, even with beautiful weather. Went up to Spring Lake New Jersey to race remote control sailboats instead. Nicest weather we have had for our regatta in years. Some guys were in shorts and short sleeves. Just seems super weird. A lot of boat activity off the beach. All I keep hearing is how hot the action is up north. Anyway I had a great day sailing. Was depressing seeing it get dark so early now that we changed the clocks. I personally hate when it gets dark so early in the day.
Water Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft
Water Boat Plant Window Tree
Water Boat Plant Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Boat Building Window Watercraft

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the stronger winds today there was no boat fishing planned. Did get over to lake late afternoon and fished 3:30 pm. to 5:30 pm. Was a bit disappointed. Had three hits and caught three large mouth bass. All three were super small. If lined up end to end total of all three fish was 20 inches. Think I had too many things stacked against me. First cold night that dropped the surface water temperature,. Second was full moon.( fishing always seems to be slower on full moons) and thirdly was the big high pressure that came through with the front the night before. High pressure always slows the bite a bit. All three fish hit a baitfish pattern fished on sinking line.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Weather was fantastic in Cape May today. After blowing leaves early this morning, it was just too nice a day to let it go buy without wetting a line, especially with rain and winds in the forecast for the next couple of days. Larry was free on short notice and we left the dock at 10:30 am. and headed to the back bay to work the out going tide. On about the fourth cast Larry hooked the first striper of the day. We worked a good number of prime spots and would pick a fish here and there with no one spot being super hot. We both used chartreuse/white clousers on intermediate line lines. The water was 61 degrees and very clean. I could actually see bottom in a few areas, which is almost rare anymore.

We managed to work hard and scrounge up 8 stripers and headed back to the dock at 2:30 pm. It was a great day on the water. It was so warm and nice. It felt like a September day. Just a great day to be out fishing.
Water Sky Vertebrate Fish Fin
Water Sky Vertebrate Lake Fisherman
Water Sky Striper bass Sleeve Goggles

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the weather not as bad as they forecast, the wind started dying down as the day went on. Late afternoon Larry and I headed out to fish the bottom of the outgoing tide in the back bay. Water in the back was 62.5 degrees and very clean. We could see flies down about 3 feet. We worked a couple of prime spots that usually produce at that stage of the tide and neither of us got a single hit on out chartreuse/white clousers fished on intermediate line. It is my theory that any fish that do come in on a tide, leave on the outgoing as there is little to no food source to hold them there. They have to move to find some food.

With no hits we moved to a good spot that I hadn't fished in awhile. On Larry's first cast he got a decent striper and we thought we might of found a hot spot, but it produced no more hits. After working the back for almost 2 hours with only the one hit,
Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Goggles
we made a move to the ocean. That was a mistake. Water there was 61.5 degrees, but it looked like liquid mud. You could only see fly down maybe 6 inches.

We fished the ocean for only 15 minutes and made the decision to go back to back bay. We figured even with the water getting pretty low, at least any fish that might be back there would have a chance to see our flies. That didn't work. After wasting another half hour we decided to head in. It was a beautiful day. Fishing November in just a flannel shirt. Wish the action was as good as the day. We both had a good afternoon, Only Larry's was a bit better and he prevented us from being skunked.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Normally I see some Specks and Redfish in November along the beach front. I should be seeing them now, but on the years that I do see them the water is much colder, like in the lower 50's to high 40's. This year just like last year the water is staying very warm late into the year. Last year I did not see any and we had warm temperatures just like this year. Overall the inlet and along the beach front has been pretty slow. I see little to no baitfish, there is no bird play at all any where. I haven't even seen any dolphins in awhile, which is unusual. In Cape May everyone is tog or seabass fishing. Decent fall striper fishing is pretty much a thing of the past. I don't know if any charter captains are even booking striper trips anymore as any chance of seeing decent fishing comes after Thanks Giving and chances of a good bite inside three miles is very iffy.

I will keep on trying, but as much as I like to fish, I plan on pulling the boat early again, the first week of December. I use to always keep it in till the end of December or until there was a chance of harbor icing in. I am getting smarter and don't like beating a dead horse in the cold.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heard some stripers infiltrated our area early this week, but mother nature has been not too user friendly the last few days. Hope to get out before they pass us by. First speck of hope I have heard in awhile. Wind is still blasting here today.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been waiting for weather to let up to chase stripers. With the cold and the wind I have been sitting tight. Needed some type of fishing fix, so I hit a local freshwater lake. Started fishing at 4:00 pm. and fished till dark at 5:30 pm. Fishing was slow and very cold. Got only 3 hits and landed all three largemouth. Felt good to catch a few fish, but they were all mini bass and small enough for an aquarium. All took a baitfish pattern fished on sinking line. It was very cold and my wet hands could only take an hour and a half with my messed up thumb feeling it the worst.
Gesture Fish Salmon-like fish Fin Ray-finned fish
Finger Fish Ray-finned fish Fishing Recreation

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mother nature finally provided a small window of opportunity this afternoon. Wind died down to about 7 mph and being the warmest of the day the air temperature was 43 degrees. Looking at future weather I figured I would not have too many more chances to fish before pulling the boat. Larry and I left the dock at 1:00 pm. to fish the incoming tide. With no water in the back bay we headed straight to the ocean. Got out side the inlet and found the water 54 to 55.8 degrees. No real wave activity, but the water looked like liquid mud. You could only see the fly down about 8 inches.

Looked like a tog convention around the inlet rocks and we were the only boat fishing for bass. Fishing was slow but we got 4 hits and landed 3 stripers. Larry got the biggest of the day. It was a little over 28 inches. We took a couple of pictures and released it. Both of us fished clousers with a teaser fly on sinking lines. Larry's first fish hooked on the teaser and our other two took the clousers.

It was cold fishing. I cut the thumb off a glove so I could cover my one hand with the damaged thumb. Our hands were the coldest as you can't help getting your hands wet while stripping in line. All was going well till a little before 4:00 pm. The wind picked up to about 12 mph and with the sun getting lower it started getting colder. We fished till about 4:15 pm and decided we had enough of the cold (it was mainly our hands) and we had enough fun for the afternoon.

Tomorrow looks even colder and they are calling for gale force winds. This might just be my last striper trip of the year as the long range forecast is showing strong winds. It was fun just to get out and have some fun. Finally thawing out as I write this report.
Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Mammal
Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Fisherman
Water Sky Boat Surf fishing Casting (fishing)
Water Sky Vertebrate Fish Fin

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My season is coming to an end fast with weather fishable days on days that I am free to fish. I feel the pressure of the end of my fishing season coming. Tuesday is looking good as of tonight. Light winds 4 mph, I am going to get out tomorrow and see if I can scare up a few bass, Best way to get a bass it to say I am targeting reds and specks. So far of which I have seen zero this fall and time is running out and it is now or never.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weather was perfect for fishing this afternoon. Got into the low 50's and sunny with no wind. Was suppose to leave the dock at 12:30 pm. with buddy Peter but he was still waiting for his dishwasher machine repair guy to show up and had to back out so I had to do a solo trip.

Left the dock at 12:30 am. as planned and headed to the ocean to fish the start of the incoming tide. When I hit the inlet it was nice and calm, but the water again looked like liquid mud. You could only see the fly down 6 to 8 inches. It was as bad as it could be. Don't know what the water temp was as I accidently pulled out the transducer cable out of the back of the fish finder when reaching under the console to switch the batteries on.. it it a pain to crawl under and put back in and might have to wait till I pull the boat.

Wish I could say the fishing was as good as the weather. I fished 4 different spots till 4:30 pm. The water was ugly at all four, but I managed to scrounge up 3 hits, landing 3 stripers. Just a very slow pick and the water never got any cleaner the whole time. All three fish hit chartreuse/white clousers fished on sinking line with no fish taking the teaser fly.

It was a fun afternoon, but not quite what I expected.

Fin Office ruler Fish Ruler Rectangle
Sky Smile Fin Fisherman Fish

1 - 20 of 22 Posts