BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is a new month, my broken hip is feeling better and better each day and I get my boat back this afternoon after getting some work done on it while I was laid up. Now will be the tough decision as to put it back in and fight the against odds. The way it has been down here in Cape May the last three years, the chances of having a good fall striper run are slim and none. Have to see if I am smart and leave it out or stupid and put it back in.?????????

I am sure I can scrounge out some small bass, but the thrill of nice fish working in close along the beach anymore or in the back bays is pretty slim.

Registered
Just saw our area is supposed to have above normal temps this winter.

I always remember around the 2nd weekend in December I go Pheasant Hunting on Saturday and then Striper fishing 馃帲 on Saturday afternoon and Sunday and get Sunburn fishing. Come home with Pheasants & Striper's.

Then I pick my good weather day to pull my Boat 馃洢. Worked for years that way 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picked up the boat and going to be stupid. Pull all the gear back on it this afternoon and I will put it back in the water next week late in the week. Figure I might have a better shot at reds and specks than a good striper run. Will see what happens and whether it was the right move.

Registered
Picked up the boat and going to be stupid. Pull all the gear back on it this afternoon and I will put it back in the water next week late in the week. Figure I might have a better shot at reds and specks than a good striper run. Will see what happens and whether it was the right move.
Was tog fishing and under the bridge were stacked up mullet with some (what seemed to be) small stripers on them. Didn鈥檛 have the fly gear with me but it would have been easy pickings. Of course, work precluded getting out there the rest of the week. Retirement is calling as long as Biden doesn鈥檛 totally tank the economy. Even then it鈥檚 still calling me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I say retire as early as you can so you can enjoy life more. My wife and I sold our business back in 2003 moved to the shore house. I gave up doing big boat charters and did fly and light tackle charters until 2020 which was like having a part-time job. Since retiring I certainly have gotten in my share of fishing. There is always something to keep you busy. I wish I had the time to do a lot of other things, there never seems to be enough time. Hope you can retire on schedule!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a great day freshwater fishing on Sunday. Drove up to in the heavy fog Mt Laurel to race remote control sailboats. I fished for about 1/2 before the wind filled in a little and never got a hit. Had fun racing even with the light winds and on the way home stopped at a lake where I always catch. Fished it for about 3/4 of an hour and again never got a hit. Just wasn't my day for fishing.
Water Boat Watercraft Plant Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Plant Sky Vertebrate Natural landscape
Water Plant Water resources Vertebrate Tree

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going to launch back in tomorrow morning. With high tide around 9:00 am I will fish the beginning of the out going tide and see if I can scrounge up some small stripers. It has been a super long time since I have fished. Did stop by Jim's Tackle and heard there was some decent amounts of mullet around and that last week there were some false albacore chasing around close to the beach, so there could be multiple options. It will feel good to get back out on the water again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Put the boat back in the water this morning. My buddy Larry helped me put it in. Making a change and moving to a different marina. A friend, Joe Baker who owns Herford Marine and out board service, recently purchased Off the Hook Marina in Cape May. He has been doing all my boat service ever since he started up on his own. I decided to move to his new Marina as I make the whole boating thing one stop. Plus the marina is probably one of the most sheltered with no wave activity and I don't have to fight all the restaurant parking crowd.

Stopped at the marina to set up the docking lines, hose and electric cord and we were off fishing. Headed to the back bay around 9:00 am. just as the tide was high. We worked several spots the first hour and found some small bait fish but got no hits other than 6 to 8 inch blues that would hit our flies. We both fished chartreuse/white clousers on intermediate line. At the third spot I decided to switch over to a popper to see if I could stir up some action. Water in the back was 68 to almost 70 degrees. I got the first decent hit but missed the hook up. Moving along we came to a area that had some decent bait fish and more small snapper blues. Here I missed two decent stripers. (when I say decent I mean fish around 22 inches to the mid 20's

The last miss was 5 feet from the boat and I told Larry to make a quick cast with his clouser. He did and the bass took it on the first strip. Though he had a nice hook up, but after having it on for 10 seconds it shook loose. I immediately switch back to a clouser and caught a small 16 1/2 in striper. We were fishing in 4 feet of water and Larry had two more decent fish hit. One even ran about 25 yards with the fly rod bent over, but again he lost both fish. We checked his hook multiple times as rarely do you miss as many fish as we had and the hooks were perfectly sharp. Really do not know why we failed to hook and land more stripers as we certainly had our chances. Maybe we were just a bit rusty from the lay off.

We did catch one of those 8 inch blues and saw two decent pods of mullet swimming. I was more mullet than I have seen in the last three years and even got a picture as one was zipping close by the boat. Overall it was fun to be back on the water fishing. Can't wait to get back out again.
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft
Water Sky Lake Fin Fish
Water Sky Fluid Lake Liquid

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasn't really thinking about fishing today. This afternoon I went over to the boat to make a couple of dock line adjustments and check a few things. Got the work done and with a very light wind and fly rods in the car I decided to do a quick trip. Left the dock at 4:00 pm and headed to the ocean to fish the start of the incoming tide at a couple of my favorite beach front structures where I normally do good, Ocean was nice and calm, very dirty from the strong outgoing tide and it was almost 70 degrees.

Worked two prime areas for an hour. Never saw any bait fish or got any hits. Did have a mess of dolphins pass by. Did shoot a little offshore for a bit and run down the beach looking for some bird activity as I heard that earlier in the week there were a few albies roaming around. With nothing to see, even with binoculars I headed back to the inlet. Water there was still very dirty. I managed toscrounge 3 small fish. One 12 inch striper and a 10 and 12 inch bluefish. I did see two small pods of mullet, but nothing was pushing them. Not wanting to beat a dead horse any longer I headed back to the dock at 6:30.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little too breezy to go out and fish in the boat the last two days. Decided to do a freshwater trip to a lake around 2:30 pm Sunday afternoon. I hadn't fished this lake since spring. Water level was very low and the normally fairly clean clear water was an ugly brownish green. Just as I started to fish it started to rain. After getting fairly wet, I was getting ready to quit, but the rain stopped. Fishing was very disappointing. I fished till 4:30 and only managed one
Vertebrate Organism Fisherman Grass Fish
hit and landed a super small largemouth. Did see a few small baitfish and a couple of turtles, but no signs of any sunfish that I normally see following my fly or in shallow water around the edges of the lake. Will not go back till the cool weather kills the algae.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The water was really as ugly as I have ever seen it. I think through the years, with all the leaves that have fallen in the water, there is just too much organic crap in the water. The water use to be crystal clean and you could see down 6 to 7 feet. I will not fish there again till the water clears. Looks like another day of no saltwater fishing with the wind around 20 mph.

Registered
Understood. In our neck of the woods, the man made ponds are subject to runoff and resultant algae blooms. The HOA maintenance team left one near our home untouched til the middle of the summer by which time all the bass and most sunnies died. What's left are catfish and I've repopulated some of the sunnies, but the bass are gone. I'm hoping to do a bucket brigade restocking like I did with sunnies, but maybe I can persuade the maintenance folks to restock.

Natural water bodies go through cycles, might be tough for a while, but the water should clear up when it gets cold as you mentioned.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After doing yard work and trimming hedges, I needed a break. There was little to no wind with heavy clouds. Checked the tides and high tide was around 2:30 pm. I had about 3 hours before I had to get to my covid booster shot appointment at 4:30 pm. Made a couple of quick calls and got Larry to go out fishing with me. We left the dock at 1:15 pm. With the water very high and brown in the back I decided to head to the ocean figuring the water would be a lot cleaner. Inlet and beach front was worse than the back with about 1 1/2 feet of visibility and the surf was pretty big along the beach front especially on the Wildwood side of the inlet.

We fished it hard for just about an hour and saw no signs of life and neither of us got a hit, so we made a quick run to the back bay. In the back we raised 6 stripers, but only landed three of them with Larry getting the nicest fish of the afternoon. Again the popper was just not getting the job done. Exciting to see the hit and splash but not too effective. I had one on for awhile and thought I had it hooked well, but never got it to the boat. We also got one dink 5 inch blue.

We fished right to 3:30 pm. and made the mad dash back so I could get to my appointment on time. With little to no wind it would of been nice to be able to fish longer as as the tide started out I think the fishing would of been even better. Was lucky to get a short trip in and we both had some fun.
Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Casting (fishing)
Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Lake
Water Vertebrate Sky Jaw Fin

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should of went fishing! I race remote control sailboats every Thursday afternoon and knew we were going to have light winds and I have to drive 30 some miles up to Ocean City. Always have fun racing with buddies and we have good competitive racing. Yesterday was as tough as it gets. We started racing at 4:00 pm and the light wind died to almost nothing. With the slight outgoing tide and no wind there was a lot of frustration, pushing us all to close to our limits. I have paint that dries faster than our boats were moving. We normally get in 10 races, but last night we struggle to get in six. The highlight of the night was pulling our boats out of the water and ending the pain!
Cloud Sky Water Dusk Building
Water Cloud Sky Watercraft Building
Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft
Cloud Water Sky Building Boat

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a quick fishing trip in Friday afternoon. Left the dock at 3:30 pm. with light wind to fish the back bay with the last of the incoming tide and the start of the outgoing. Water in the back was still pretty brown, but very fishable. We worked 7 prime spots before finding one that produce our 4 stripers in the last half hour of fishing. We found fair amounts of bait fish here and there but only tiny bluefish spooking it now and again. We did manage 3 small bluefish to maybe 8 inches long, but they mostly just nipped at the flies. We were almost ready to head back to the dock and decided to hit the one small shallow creek where it flows back into the bay. We got our 4 quick stripers and missed two others and headed back to the dock at 6:00 pm. We had a fun 2 1/2 hours.
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Outdoor recreation Striper bass
Water Sky Vertebrate Muscle Sunglasses

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No fishing for me on Saturday. Left Cape May a 4:00 am for the 4 1/2 hour drive to Hagerstown Maryland to sail a remote control sailboat Regatta. It was a beautiful morning and a decent breeze. We got the first 4 races in and then the wind started to die and we got a light rain. We got in 4 more races with light and heavy rain mixed in and decided to wait and see if it would let up a bit, but it never did so we ended after 8 races. I was a fun day racing with friends but sort of felt like a drowned rat as I loaded up in the car for the drive home. It took 5 hours to drive home as it poured pretty much the whole way home and there were two multi-car accidents on two major roads that had traffic backed up for miles so I never got home to about 8:45 pm, which made for a long day, but it was worth it. Was hoping to get in some fishing today, but the wind is blowing pretty good.
Water Cloud Boat Sky Watercraft
Water Boat Watercraft Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Watercraft Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Mast
Water Plant Tree Vehicle Watercourse
Water Plant Sky Water resources Boat
Water Sky Water resources Tree Lake

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blowing like stink today. No way to fish. Took a drive over to North Cape May and Delaware Bay looked like the ocean with all the waves and the ferry inlet had rollers in it. Put the day to good use. Got two new replacement deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor. It has been a little over two years and they just aren't lasting as long as they should after a charge. Two years is about all I get with as much use as I give them. Now I will be all set for the fall.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Long Day Thursday. Used the back back blower to get the leaves off the grass before the landscapers came to cut the lawn. Was finished by 10:00 am. so it was off fishing with buddy Larry as we had the start of the out going tide before the wind was to pick up. Left the dock at 10:30 am. and headed to the back bay. Water temps were 64 to 66 degrees. A little cooler than the last time we were out.

Fishing was tougher than I anticipated. We worked 12 spots and only found fish at 4 spots and they were all about the same size. We found a little bit of bait here and there but not a whole lot. Around the little bait fish we found small blues that would shadow our flies and nip at them, but they were all 5 to 6 inches and we didn't hook any. The fish that were caught, were caught on chartreuse/white clousers. The wind did pick up a bit, but wasn't too bad. We fished till around 1:00 pm and called it a day as I had to run to the dump, grab some lunch and then head off to Ocean City for our regular once a week remote control sailboat racing. Wind was great and we got in 10 races before dark.
Water Sky Boat Cloud Sunglasses
Water Sky Boat Cloud Sleeve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts