BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the fishing still dead in the back bay I haven't fished for awhile as it has not been worth the effort. Yesterday decided to do something different. A friend recently purchase a 41 Regulator with 4- 350 hp Yamahas and has been bugging me to go out with him. He was headed out for some reef fishing yesterday and I decided I would give it a shot. Took took fly rods along incase of emergency, but never got to use them. Came down to the dock and found he was docked right next to my old, Ricky Carolina Boat, that I had when I was doing big boat charters. (My mate now owns the boat with my old partner) but they just fish for marlin and do not do charters.

We left the dock at 9:00 am. Was my first time on a big high powered center console. I was pretty impressed on how great a ride it gave and a super thrill when you hit top end at close to 51 mph. It cut through the chop and whited caps like they weren't there. Another impressive feature was that it has a Sea Keeper Stabilizer system and even with the high tower and the deep v it was super steady while drift fishing. Really loved the boat, but way out of my price range, but nice to have friend who does and want to take you out.

I wish the fishing was as impressive as the boat. We had a decent bite catching Fluke, Sea Bass, Sea Robins and Skates but only managed on keeper size fluke and through back all the sea bass even though we could of limited with the two fish limit. While fishing the Coast Guard wanted to do a routine check. They checked all paper work, permits and safety equipment and really didn't hamper our fishing. Headed in early afternoon about 3:30 pm as a big area of rain looked like it was headed our way on the radar.

Had a fun day and first time fishing this season in the salt without using a fly rod. (it felt a little weird) Might have to do a canyon trip with him, where I could get a shot with the heavier weight fly rods. All and all a good day. Did see a fair number of pods of bunker on the way out and the way in, but nothing was pushing any of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was to go out with my buddy on his regulator today to the canyons for some offshores species, but we had to cancel the trip last minute this morning and will try on Sunday. Since I was up and ready to go I figured I would go out in my boat and give it a shot, since I have not be out in a while. It was a mistake, should of just went home and had a nice breakfast. Left the dock at 6:00 am and headed to the inlet to work the jetties and the beach front with a nice incoming tide. I had low light. The water was clean, there were some small baitfish around but the only thing chasing it was 10 to 12 inch bluefish. The water was 74 degrees and I worked a number of prime spots for three hours. I got two small hits and landed two bluefish, if stretched out, might of made 12 inches each. With the tide up pretty high, I hit a couple of prime areas in the back bay before the sun got two high and got zero hits back there. Seems like the only bites for fly fishermen are offshore. Never have I seen it so poor where I couldn't scrounge up a few fish. Usually there are a few somewhere. It is just plain dead!

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been about a week since I have even tried in my boat. Talking to a few guys that fish were I do, it is still dead. When they go out now they are going to the Cape May Reef and offshore as in along the beach and around the inlet, it is just a waste of time. Even where they are fishing it is slim pickings but at least the get a few fish with a keeper sized one here and there. Hope to try this week and hopefully there will be a change, but there is nothing to make me think it has gotten better. Water is still above average in temperature and it looks like it will be just like last year with water temps in the 70's into October.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
With Saltwater fishing still to pathetic to even try I went up to Riverton to visit the Grand kids and take them Fishing. Fished the outgoing tide yesterday and the boys had non stop action using a bobber and a small hook. Couldn't buy any red worms so I had to settle for Green Worms. Never saw them before. They were like night crawlers but a light green color. With the small hooks I would just break off little half inch pieces. They made your hands all green, but the fish loved them. Caught mostly small sunfish with a couple of good size ones. Also got some small white perch and a very small striper around 5 inches long. With the very small hooks the boys also were hooking large size minnows and what looked to be a blue back herring. We all had a fun couple of hours, with action much better than in saltwater fishing back in Cape May. At the end we threw the left over worms to the fish and it was like a blitz with the fish having a food fest at the surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still not worth trying, plus we have had pretty good winds. Sunday spent the morning racing remote control sailboats and on the way back to Cape May I stopped at Parvin State Park and picked up two pickerel. Tried one other small lake on the way home. Cedar water lake on one side and other side of the spillway brackish water from creek leading to Delaware Bay. Caught 2 yellow perch. One on the lake side and one on the Spillway side. Both were almost black looking from the Cedar water and you could hardly see their normal bright colors.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has been almost three weeks since the last time took my boat out fishing. Got the latest report from a buddy who just came in from fishing around the inlet and beach front and he said it was slow with only a couple of very small fluke and a some very small snapper blues. It was such good weather and tide, I decided go out anyway, but would try the back instead. Left the dock at 4:00 pm. Water looked nice and clean. After about 5 casts I caught the first striper and it was half decent. About 10 minutes later hooked the second and the biggest of the night and decided I would re-work the sod bank were I had just caught. Ended up catching two more stripers and missed one. These were 15 and 16 inches long. Worked that couple of hundred yards until I got no more hits and moved one.

The next three hours I worked a number of prime spots. Creek mouths, rip lines and sod banks and only got one other hit landing another small striper. It was a beautiful night with very light winds, but other than that first little shot of fish when I first started it was a slow night. Only saw a few small bait fish the whole night. Our back bay is nothing like it use to be. September there would always be tons of peanut bunker, large bait fish and mullet swimming, but not anymore. Guess I was lucky and hit the right spot at the right time.

Poppers and clousers were the flies that produced. Had to work hard for the few fish caught. Had the first fun night in a while but still too slow to get really excited that things have changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really hard to mentally except the way fishing is today and that how badly the fishing has gotten over the last 15 years. September use to be just the greatest month down here. Weather was still nice and with all the bait fish peaking, the back bays, inlet and beach front would be loaded with food and the fish would be all over it. Every single hot spot held fish. You were always looking for the spot that held the most or for that larger one that would be mixed in. There would always be signs of fish feeding, especially as the sun got lower and after dark even if you couldn't see fish feeding you could hear their popping sounds as they slurped down baitfish. For years my brother would come up for his birthday for a week and we would have fantastic striper fishing averaging 20 some fish a evening catching stripers and bluefish. Anymore it seems like a totally different world. This is the first year where I have not had or heard and stripers around my dock lights at all. Fish are just not here. just like the bait fish. Now it is hard to imagine that it will ever get any better.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I was the blind Squirrel the other night and lucky enough to stumble on a few fish. After hearing that I got some the night before, one of my past charter clients went out in his boat and worked the same areas that I fished with the same good tide and conditions and he and his wife didn't get a hit all evening and they were throwing popping and swimming plugs. He said he fished many of the hot spots where I use to take him, that they all looked great, but were void of fish. Guess it is still a waiting game. All I can look forward to is that late season little spurt of small redfish and specks, but that is early November and seems like a long time to wait.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Had not been Bass fishing for some time.
My wife and I went out Friday early evening.
My wife used a surface plug and I used my 8 weight with a floating line. My casting was a little rusty but it was nice to be out in the water. We fished the sod banks in the way-back. The only fish we saw were a few snapper blues. I decided to give it another try Saturday morning. Went to a different spot and had 2 small stripers on my 8wt.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear you got out and caught a few on the fly. Friend up in Long Port and a couple of guys in Ocean City are seeing half decent action with some small fish with all the bait there are in the back. Not big, but schoolies on the fly are fun any day. Anymore the good striper fishing is from LBI north and stays pretty decent till the weather and water get cold and the fish are forced to move south. We need some cool weather as here in the south with the very warm waters, very few resident fish are around anymore. Seems like we see some action when they are moving north in the spring and a little in the fall. The resident action is way off of what it use to be. Our waters are just staying too warm during the summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts