BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is the first day of September and maybe the super hot weather will ease up a bit. This past week I picked up my new Minn-Kotta bow trolling motor. I had to wait awhile as it was on back order. Like many other suppliers they had parts problems. Even the one I got came with a mini I-pilot controller and they will ship me the regular controller with more features when it becomes available.

Just mounted on the boat and will keep my older one for a back up if the new one should ever need work. I have always had two so I never lose a day of fishing without having one available. For all those that now fish with one, once you use one you can never go back to not having one. I have had a electric motor on my saltwater boats for more than 20 years now. I put way more hours on my electric motor than my main engine, especially when fly fishing when you want a certain distance and angle to where you want to cast. My new one has some added features that I didn't have on my older models and I am excited to now have the spot lock feature. Can't wait to try out the new motor.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wind was to die out this evening and I wanted to try out the new Minn-Kotta motor. After dinner fishing buddy Paul and I left the dock at 5:45 pm. It wasn't the best tide, but I hadn't fished in a few days. It was pretty much dead low with no water moving at all. The harbor water was 75 to 76 degrees and very brown. We cleared the inlet and headed down beach found the water much cleaner and 74 to 75 degrees. First spot we got zero hits and lost 3 flies between the two of us. After wasting about and hour, we headed closer to the inlet.

In the first 5 minutes I got my first hit and caught a 19 1/2 inch fluke that took a pink/white clouser that I fished on sinking line. Thought it was going to be the start of a hot bite, but it wasn't. About a 1/2 hour later Paul caught a small throw back fluke on his pink/white clouser. We were a bit disappointed, but just as the sun was down below the horizon the tide started to move a little more and we found a pod of weakfish. In the last 1/2 hour we got 4 nice weakfish with Paul catching the nicest one of the night. A nice chunky 22 incher. I also caught a small 13 inch bluefish.

Ended up keeping the fluke for dinner tomorrow and we released all the weakfish and the blue. We were the only boat out fishing, the ocean was like a mirror with no wind. You couldn't of asked for a better weather night on the ocean. We headed back to the marina around 8;15 pm. We had a good trip and both went home smiling. Right as we were about to head in we saw a huge pod of bunker on the surface, but there was noting pushing it. They were all just swimming along like they didn't have a care.
Water Sky Goggles Mammal Boat
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fin Fish
Water Vertebrate Fish hook Fluid Bait
Water Sky Casting (fishing) Boat Shorts
Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not caught one of those in years. We had one week of those about 5 years ago, around the inlet jetty and haven't see one since then. In Florida they are always hitting flies on the flats and you occasionally hook one. With their big beaver teeth it is hard to get a hook set. Good eating up here, but down there they have some type of toxin. When I was a kid fishing LBI they were so thick that they would be a pain, but they were very tasty.

Just filet my fluke from last night and looking forward to a fried fluke, with Jersey tomatoes and corn dinner.

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
Have not caught one of those in years. We had one week of those about 5 years ago, around the inlet jetty and haven't see one since then. In Florida they are always hitting flies on the flats and you occasionally hook one. With their big beaver teeth it is hard to get a hook set. Good eating up here, but down there they have some type of toxin. When I was a kid fishing LBI they were so thick that they would be a pain, but they were very tasty.

Just filet my fluke from last night and looking forward to a fried fluke, with Jersey tomatoes and corn dinner.
I remember catching them down at IBSP on the ocean side with my dad when I was a kid, circa early 60's

I can remember him laying them out and had a technique for cleaning them which I think is well known, something about cutting around the tail and using pliers to pull the entire skin town the head (or vice versa).

My father in law said he used to catch garbage cans full down behind Ventnor and in the ocean off the pier, but he never kept the ones caught in the bay, he said they tasted "muddy" compared to the ocean caught ones.

This was a first for me fishing off our boat, and I can't recall the last time I caught one. This one was "keeper sized" LOL.

Water clarity was unbelievable, think we could see almost 20 feet down the pilings, way over 10 ft. Went swimming in the ocean afterwards and water was almost as clear, even in the churning surf.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way I understand it. Back in the 60's the netters found them to be an easy target and they pretty much wiped them out. They sold in the Reading Train Market as Sea Sqwabs or something like that at a really high price at the time. when deboned they sort of looked like chicken breasts. They sure were tasty.

Wanted to fish this weekend, but those that I talked to say fishing was pretty slow at best and early morning tides had almost no flow due to very low high tide and just didn't feel like fighting all the holiday boat traffic on the water. Figure there will be better opportunities this month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ray: WIfe and I will be vacationing again in CMNJ next week (20th anniversary honeymoon reenactment!). Hey, We now own a Triton 220LTS! Bought off my MD fishing buddy. I told him many years ago if he was going to sell, I wanted fist crack at it. He and his wife delivered it from Eastern Shore MD to us in SW FL. Its set up with a gently used Honda 4S 200 and a new MK trolling motor with all the bells and whistles.. Ill look for you at the marina!

Mike Gussin

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will love your Trition 22. They just stopped making the saltwater bay boats. They hold up well and as far as I am concerned the perfect boat for the type of fishing that I do. I am docked at Off the Hook Marina.

Needed a fishing fix and decided to go freshwater fishing in the light rain after dinner. Started fishing at 6:00 pm and fished till 8:00 pm. Looked like a perfect night for fishing but it was dead slow. Got one hit on a popping all black fly and caught one super small 10 inch large mouth. Very disappointing night.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beautiful boat. Wish I didn't have to bottom paint my boat, but in NJ and in a slip it is almost impossible as they do not have lifts like they do in Florida. T Tops are nice but for fly fishing especially with two guys fishing it just gets in the way. Luckily fishing early morning, late afternoons or at night I can live with out one. Good luck with your new boat.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was the lucky squirrel that found a nut this morning. Don't normally fish weekends if I can help it, especially during the day. Last night I got home and checked the tides and weather and since I knew I would be away racing remote control sail boats on Sunday, I thought there might be a chance to sneak in a quick trip Saturday morning. They were calling for light winds and tide would start running out in the back about 9:00 am.

Got up around 7:45 am and it looked to be a nice morning so I thought I would work the ocean for a quick few hours and maybe get a few weakfish or fluke. Left the dock at 8:45 am. I forgot it was a Harvest Full moon with super strong tides on both tides today. When I left the dock the back bay water looked really ugly brown and the wind was a bit stronger than forecast.

Instead of heading straight to the ocean I decided to try the back bay and work some prime creek mouths on the start of the out going. I haven't caught a striper in over a month and have pretty much given up on the back for bass. Figured maybe some stripers moved into some of the creeks while it was dark and they would be working their way out to deeper water and with the water being ugly brown I might have a better shot. Figured I would give it a quick shot just to see it it was still dead.

Water in the back was 71 to 72 degrees and ugly brown. First creek, on the 5th cast using a popping fly I hooked a really good fish that jumped twice and really put up a good fight. I put the trolling motor on spot lock and was able to net the fish. It turned out to be a keeper size striper. I took a few pictures and released it and was thinking I might just be in for a really fun morning. That was it. Fish looked a bit beat. It had fin rot and some red sores, but had plenty of life. Worked 8 more prime spots for the next two hours with out a single hit or swirl. Did see a few patches of some very small bait fish, but that was it.

Did a quick run out to the ocean and found the ocean just as brown, even long the beach front. Water was around the same 71 degrees, but like the back very dead. I got one hit landing a 15 inch fluke. After beating a dead horse about and hour and 15 minutes I called it a day. That one nice striper made my day but overall it was a pretty poor day.

Did have a fish and game guy at the dock doing a catch survey and in talking to him, it seemed like everyone today was have a super poor day with most of his people fluke fishing. Seemed like the super strong tides and the brown water were effecting every ones fishing.
Sky Smile Fish Fisherman Fin

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When fly fishing, you control line pressure on your rod hand with your fore finger. Usually this is no problem with smaller fish, but when your hands are wet or you are fighting larger fish the friction on your finger can either make it sore and raw and in some cases can even cut through the skin. I have been using sports tape and that has worked pretty well, but you have to cut pieces and wrap your finger before each trip.

Buddy Larry was at a fly shop this weekend and found a product made by Simms that looks like it is the easy fix. Simms Stripping Guards. Got them this afternoon and they fit well and look like they will work great. Larry and I are going to fish tonight and test them and see if they work.
Liquid Fluid Packaging and labeling Tints and shades Font
Font Sleeve Memory card Human leg Thumb

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buddy Larry and I decided to give it a shot Tuesday Night. Everything looked pretty good. Light wind with an incoming tide close to dusk. We left the dock at 5:45 pm. and headed to the ocean. Water in the harbor and outside the inlet was an ugly brown and 72 degrees. We went down beach and found a little cleaner water. With the tide coming in we thought we had a shot at a decent night. It never happened.

We were the only boat out fishing that we saw all night and fished till after dark. We worked 4 different areas and found some water that was fairly clean. We could see down almost 2 feet. It was a very disappointing night of fishing. I had one hit all night that felt like a small fluke. Larry lost a very small fish that looked like a small bluefish and caught a small throw back fluke. At 8:30 pm. we both had enough frustration for one night. We just couldn't believe that on such a beautiful night the fishing could be so poor.

On the bright side the new finger guards that Larry bought for both of us worked super.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the fishing so poor it is hard to get motivated to even try. With a nice breeze yesterday I did have fun racing remote control sailboats up in Ocean City. When I got home and checked the mail I found I got the return information on that second tagged that I caught on August 27th. Turns out it was tagged and released only 15 days before I caught it and was tagged by the same guy that that released the my first tagged fish of the year. The taggers name was Al D'Amato and this last fish was released in Cape May Inlet, when I caught it was along the beach front along Cape May. Since it is still out there maybe someone else will catch it down the road.
Office ruler Fish Plant Marine invertebrates Thumb

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't get in any fly fishing this weekend but did catch a few fish. Had a fun weekend racing remote control sailboat at a two day regatta down in Queenstown Maryland. We had guys from Florida to Mass. show up for our East Coast Regional Championship Regatta. We had a nice wind for racing and raced both days 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.

I stayed at a ABNB with a group of sailing friends that was on a brackish water cove. When we got to the house I noticed it had a nice pier with a boat on lift. Decided I would get up early and try a little fishing before breakfast and heading off to the lake for racing. Went out at 6:30 am. Only thing that I had to fish with was an ultra-light 4 lb test line spin rod with a small 3 inch Rapala stick bait. Started catching small white perch on almost every cast. I would get lots of hits but with treble hooks and their small mouths they had to hit it just right. I caught 14 in less than a 1/2 hour. Then I hooked something decent that was taking out drag. Never got to see it but it was definitely not a perch. I think is was a small striper. It took me right down the dock and went through the boat lift pilings and broke the line. With no more lures I was done fishing.
Water Boat Sky Watercraft Plant
Sky Boat Watercraft Water Plant
Fin Wood Fish Tail Ray-finned fish
Water Fisherman Lake Fish Fishing
Water Fisherman Watercourse Sky Fish
Water Gesture Fish Sleeve Fisherman

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
Getting the grandsons out tog fishing tomorrow (Backbay). I tried fly fishing the surf last Friday with a clouser on a sinktip with nothing doing. Not a lot of bait that I observed where I was, some large spot were caught with nothing in them by bait-soakers.

wasn’t ideal time but it’s what I had

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, it is tough to find something for the kids these days. Buddies that are good fluke fishermen have been saying how tough it has been to catch a few keeper fluke and that they are looking forward to Sea Bass season. Don't know where you are fishing but even bluefish down here are mostly mini snappers if you can find them. I have a friend in southern Florida that is catching bigger bluefish than we see during our summer months and their water is much warmer.

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
Grandkids went out for tog yesterday, I could not go but my brother in law and their dad were able to take them out. My #1 budding angler got the only keeper and about 15 other fish (tog, little sea bass), so he’s definitely “hooked”,.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Decided to beat a dead horse tonight. With it to be a bit windy the next few days I wanted to give it a try as I haven't fished in awhile. With high tide around 6;00 pm. it looked like a great tide to try fishing the back bay for stripers, at least years ago it would been considered perfect. Left the dock at 5:30 pm and headed to the back bay. Tide was still trickling in. First creek that I tried was dead but I found some sod banks that showed some small bait fish that was being spooked. I started fishing a nice popping fly using floating line. I started getting hits but could not hook up. I thought they were very small bluefish. Finally hooked one up. Turned out to be small Jacks. Don't know what they are doing up here in jersey, but they are around.

Left that area and worked more creek mouths. The next two produced zero hist. Moving to a little deeper creek I found some bass. I hooked the first one and got it to the boat. It looked to be about 21 to 22 inches long. Never pulled the net out of the locker and tried to lift it over the side of the boat and it shook off. Same area I hooked another bass around 17 inches long. This time I had the net but it came undone before I could net it.. Got two more hits at that spot, but could not get a hook set.

Kept moving on to all my prime creek mouths. They all looked super, but all were dead. Did have a needle fish hit my fly and miss it. It was the first one that I have seen in a long time.

Had more action than I anticipated, but compared to years past the whole back is just plain dead, with very few resident fish. With it now dark at 7:30 pm. I fished till 8:00 pm and called it a night.
Water Sky Vertebrate Fin Body of water

1 - 20 of 28 Posts