BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I will be back on the water some time this month. Still working on rehab. to get me walking again. It has only been a week since surgery, but it feels longer. Leg is still pretty swollen with a decent amount of pain, but overall it feels a little better each day. Just a matter of time. Just not fast enough for me. Looking forward to better days and fishing this month.

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
Ray, I've had a string of bad news, from a very good friend and my sister-in-law diyng in the past 2 months, another good friend on the verge of dying from a malignant brain tumor that was just discovered in July. I've not gotten out saltwater flyfishing in quite a while, in freshwater it's been still water ponds, which are ok but not the same as either salt, or moving fresh water. On the salt, had my grandsons out a few times on the boat and once in the surf where we got a nice shark on a spot-head. A lot of fun for them :D I've not tried them on flyfishing since earlier this summer, their patience and motor skills aren't quite there yet.

Get well soon! Getting out next week for a combo trip that might include some flyfishing depending (always) on schedule.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Each day I feel a bit better. Still can't bend leg at back to a 45 degree angle due to the swelling and trying to bend it is painful. Did see surgeon group this morning and the removed the staples, repaired area looks good and X-rays showed good. Was told that it takes 6 weeks for the bone and screws to reach maximum strength before I can do any major stressing of it. They say it takes twice as long to recover from the screwing of the bone surgery than a regular hip replacement. Now it is the battle to see how fast I can come back. Surgeon says he will see me in 4 weeks and by then I should be able to use a cane instead of a walker to get around. Then they are talking about rehab after that.

My physical therapy person that came again today says no. I should be up and going good before the 4 weeks. She gave me a number of exercises that I can do to expedite my healing. Next week she is going to have me using a cane and says the surgeons are way too conservative. For some it may be good but she feels for me and how well I am moving that I will be a head of normal.

I am hoping she is right as I feel no pain, (not using any pain meds) feel comfortable, have good energy level and will push for the speedy recovery. Not being able to do normal activities or drive is the worst part and it looks like it will be a good while before I get to fish.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Progressing pretty good with the rehab. Walking around the house without a cane. Just need the cane for outside un even ground. Can drive so I am at least mobile again. Did go up to Riverton NJ this weekend to visit the grand sons and took them down to the river to fish. Just worms and small hooks. Fished for about an hour and a half and caught over 25 small white perch and sunfish. Water was teaming with the small fish. As soon as the line hit the water it was non stop bites. Had a fun time with the boys and first time I got to wet a line of any kind for awhile.
Smile Shorts Sky Cloud Tree
Water Sky Cloud People in nature Ecoregion

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
should have live-lined one of those small white perch LOL

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the late 1980's I use I used to bring my first charter boat up to Riverside to pull it. It was a 25 Grady. In the spring a couple of years I did early season striper charters up on the River. It was all catch and release. Would buy bloodworms by the flat and would catch tons of small stripers and once in a while a big one. Would go through bloods like crazy as everything eats them, Eels, perch, catfish. Tried live lining the little perch, but never had much success. Put on a live eel and it was another story. Stripers loved the eels. Week nights I would fish Philadelphia to Riverside Area and on weekends I would run down to the Commodore Barry Bridge and fish off the old Monsanto Plant and do very well. Had so much business at the time, I almost thought about not taking the boat down to Cape May. The fishing was easy, close to home and in freshwater. I was the only guy doing striper charters on the River at that time in the Philadelphia area and a lot of my saltwater charters liked it.

The lure of the larger saltwater fish and the offshore fishing would not let me keep the boat up there. Almost thought about a second boat, just for freshwater, but I was just starting out and it was always a part time thing, but there was enough business to warrant it.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled the boat yesterday and pressure washed it as I haven't fished in over 4 weeks. Took it over to get a small fiberglass repair done. Repair shop had open time and figured I would get it done while the fishing was poor. When he is done I will have to make the decision on weather to put it back in and then extend dockage for so called striper season that we no longer see anymore or just leave it out, get the bottom painted and the engine serviced for next season. With the fishing so poor, so few resident stripers around and little to no migrating stripers there isn't much to get excited about come fall anymore. Last year with the weather etc. I didn't see the normal redfish and speck bite. Have to see what happens. It would be my first year ever that I pulled early. Usually fish till the first week of December. Use to really look forward to the fall fishing when action would pick up, but the last 4 years it has just remained poor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts