BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am planning to fish the rips this year and wanted to get some tips on what to do and what not to do. It will be the first time I've navigated that area, so any tips would be helpful. Can I have some pointers?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Stay away from prissy wick until you get better at it.
Don't go on (windy/full or new moons )
Keep your bow into the waves although some guys will drift side ways, NOT ME.
Learn how to stem the tide.
But first, I would go a few times with someone experienced with it.
How big is your boat ?
Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul Tripodi said:
Stay away from prissy wick until you get better at it.
Don't go on (windy/full or new moons )
Keep your bow into the waves although some guys will drift side ways, NOT ME.
Learn how to stem the tide.
But first, I would go a few times with someone experienced with it.
How big is your boat ?
Good luck
Thanks Paul. It is a 24' Grady Walkaround.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Just remember some of them shoals at low tide are 2 or three ft. below the surface !

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
go to the search option at the top alot of good info on the rips

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Motoring through a rip can instantly shut down the bite and piss off a lot of other fisherman.:eek: When fishing a crowded rip wait your turn and be respectful of others.:D Always be alert for a rouge wave.:eek: Have fun.:)

·
Registered
25,305 Posts
Captain Harv's website

Go to Captain Harv's website, he is a barn sponsor Vetcraft. On the website, he wrote a great article about fishing the rips.

·
Registered
472 Posts
snprblue2 thanks great info

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
dont run back over a rip after drifting through it,
you will see others do this, it is a big no-no
go around!

we always have someone at the helm, and the motor is always running.

good luck. be safe.

follow pauls advice he offered some good information.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
motor running

Like Zar said, motor running ,someone on the wheel. Was out with some friends years back and we were all excited that we were finally going to get to fish the rips.Friends boat was 28 ft. We were drifting through the rip and moving back around lkie the other boats.We all wanted to fish and no one told us not to drift through sideways. One wave hit us sideways and the flying-bridge allmost layed flat on the water. Needless to say we were so glad we didn't take on water, we called it a day and went home.So never be afraid to ask like you did when doing something new on the water.It can be a very dangerous place if you don't know what you are doing. The best advice i hear on the barn when someone asks a question like yours is get on a boat with a professional and ask questions and learn from their actions on the water. There is usually a very good reason for most of what they do. Don

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am not a boater, but i fish with Adam and skip in the rips. I think it is awsome how they have learned the rips. It is not a place for the faint at heart. The main reason i am posting, is i find it great that you came on and asked. Everytime i am out there with these guys, you always see someone that, well maybe shouldn't be there. I remember last year seeing a boat, stuck, waiting for high tide. I know that must happen once a day, when the bite is hot, but it was a first for me too see that. I give anyone that fishes the rips alot of credit, it can be a very fun place, but also dangerous. Good luck too you and hope you figure them out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all. I think I have enough tips to be respectful and safe out there, but if anyone has anything else to add, feel free. Get ready- they're coming! FISH ON!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Watch out at Prissy Wicks, especially the eastern tip of it at low tide. The water wells up and the waves can be huge. Many years ago I grounded my 28 bertram out there and waves were hitting me from all directions I thought I was going to capsize but got out of it luckily.:eek:

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Good Idea when starting out.....be safe....go straight into the waves bow first...motor running....one man helm rest fishing.....

That being said...stay away from Low tide if possible...prissy's is further offshore...stay close to land and "practice" at the inshore rips...get the feel for it.

I never fished the rips before in my life...we went out a few years ago for our first time...it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be...that being said you must have COMMON sense and a feel for your boat. It's smart to go out with someone who knows what their doing, we didn't but didn't venture into the big rips. We stayed close to the point and learned how to drift through them and run back around them.

Good luck! Snag a Chart you can see where Prissys is...

When you start to "lose" boats because they are down in the swell...you're probably close:)

Have fun and be careful!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I will never forget that one day we had the Desilu, which has a fairly good sized broadside profile, about 100 yards to starboard and it was disappearing completely between swells. That was a neat visit to yonder rips :D

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
BOTTOM FEEDER said:
I am not a boater, but i fish with Adam and skip in the rips. I think it is awsome how they have learned the rips. It is not a place for the faint at heart. The main reason i am posting, is i find it great that you came on and asked. Everytime i am out there with these guys, you always see someone that, well maybe shouldn't be there. I remember last year seeing a boat, stuck, waiting for high tide. I know that must happen once a day, when the bite is hot, but it was a first for me too see that. I give anyone that fishes the rips alot of credit, it can be a very fun place, but also dangerous. Good luck too you and hope you figure them out.
Look were MY LOCATION is to the left under striper2278;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts