BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fishing under the lights a lot lately with Striperboy16. We have been having excellent luck with 1/8 ounce white bucktail. Tonight we landed two: one about 24 and the other about 28. In the last two weeks we have probably caought about 6-8 stripes. We release all stripes caught this way regardless of size though, since it is more for fun and we want to make sure there are always plenty under the lights. Just wanted to know if any barners ever fish this way and what kind of luck they have been having.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yep. I have gone out numerous times. it's awesome seeing the fish come up and smack baitfish. I have caught some big fish under lights- especially weakfish. It might be cheating, but oh well. Have a good time- no one can tell you how to fish but yourself.
:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
ive been fishing under the dock lights for about a month for anything. nothin to show for it but one small weakfish(about 10")...havent tryed bucktails yet...maybe this weekend...as always thanks for the advice

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have had 2 large stripers under my dcok lights for weeks. I have thrown everything at them and nothing works - even bucktails. Last Sunday I chummed them with small pieces of tuna (yellowfin carcus meat from that day in the deep) and put a big chunk on a hook. I got one on and broke it off on a dock and landed a 3' sandshark. Fun action, but what else should I be doing?? I was thinking clams?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Sean,

That's a great question. One sure fired way to get more fish at your dock is to invite some of your sister's old friends from Aukland over to give it a try!!
Did you get my entry fee this year??
It's my tourney this year!!!!

-F.P.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have been dock fishing for my entire life, and have had some pretty good successes. The light certainly draws the bait, but you usually don't see the big guys until they are hooked up. Last week I caught a striper (21 inch) on clam, several sharks, and saw one huge ray. Over the years I've pulled blues, flounder, weakies, stripers, and kingfish from in front of our dock. I've also caught eels, skates, and sandsharks.

I think the key to effectively fishing the dock lights is choosing the appropriate bait. I've found that I can catch something about 90% of the time if I use bunker or mackeral strips. Unfortunately I always catch sharks that way. For striper I chum out a few chowder clams and then toss a fresh one on a line. I've also drifted bloodworms, eels, or minnows.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've fished docks under the lights before with some success. I find that mackerel chunks or strips work well and even whole dead herring. I soak them with some shedder crab oil and use a fish finder rig.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MakeMeNuts -
How do you fish grass shrimp & how do you catch them? :confused:

[ 07-08-2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Twister ]

·
Registered
225 Posts
I love to fish under the lights, bait fish are attacted to the lights and the game fish follow. I'll net some of those bait fish and toss them in a cooler, then live line bait with a 4'leader and a float. The bait should pull that float around, keep it out near the edge of the lights and hold on!

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
been doin it for over 10 years. Started with bucktails. Now it's fin-s. For those tough to catch bigguns......eels baby,eels.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
For grass shrimp get a big dip net with small holes. Take it and run it under the dock edges, in the growth on the bottom of the docks, scrape it up and down on the sides of the pilings. You don't see them but they are all there, most of the time hanging on and holding to the edges of the growth. Try to be fast..but gentle otherwise you may crush em. If you take a 5 gallon bucket of some salt water you can leave 'em in there or you can basically stick em in a moist brown bag and stick em on some ice. To stick them on a hook take two or three and just hook them on. Once in a while pitch out a few live ones. They're not that big so you do need to get lucky and get a bunch of them. Good luck.

[ 07-09-2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: jbones11 ]

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Gotta' love the lights at night! I've caught finicky bass under the lights on LITTLE bucktails with small plastics or a very small jighead with a little Fin-S, as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOVE THOSE HALOGENS BABY!!

Our lights have been lit for over 6 years now.

In the spring stripers tend to take more bloodworms and clam. Later on as the water warms, they get very picky and will follow a lure or bait but get shy or wary and swim off. Best takers are small 1/8 and 1/4 oz. spro bucktails and fin-s with waggly tails. The best is a slow retrieve with some twitching about a foot underneath whatever bait is on the surface (mainly spearing and peanuts). Top of the outgoing produces best. Flounder are more prevalent at the bottom of the incoming in shallower water. IN my experience numbers of weakies don't tend to show up under the lights until august, and then they have to compete with the resident stripers. Livelined peanut bunker work best for them. Don't forget to try minnows, either. Had a 34" striper take a minnow on the surface. Use braided line if you're around lots of pilings.

I haven't had the best luck with the grass shrimp, live or dead, since the bait always in the water is spearing or peanut bunker. Match the hatch, so they say.

Sometimes I do better at the dock than I do out in the boat. I've tagged about 40 stripers less than 18" so far this summer. Kept about 6 slots and 4 overs.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Jack

I was praying for ya, sorry no luck. Next year!!

As far as the lights go.

Single handedly one of my favorites. Been doing it for over 20 years. It's good fishing, especially now and until late August. there are good concentrations of spearing around the docks my way and soon the PB's will infiltrate. Grass shrimp spice up the lure, just add 1 - 3 to the hook

All I can say is be ready for that 24-28 to all the sudden be a 32-40 incher. There are many big fish that summer in the back just gorging on bait fish. If your fishing the light tackle thing you won't be able to stop them or they will just get wrapped up and break off

Good luck

Eelball, thanks for the eel reminder. Maybe that's been my problem.

[ 07-12-2004, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
230 Posts
ive sometimes had success using about 3 peanut bunker on a plain gamakatzu hook. the red in-line circle hooks seem to work and 10lb gear on a lite ugly stick...u cant beat it. although u really have to burn the midnight oil as i have caught fish as late...or as early(however you want to view it) as 4 A.M. u cant beat the feeling of almost falling asleep then have ur reel scream off w/a striper on the other end!!

what is the key to bucktails? do people usually work them across the bottem or the middle of the water coulum. any advice which would put me on more fish would be outstanding so thanks in advance

P.S-the nightime fishing "under the lights" is when i practice my catch and release if that matters at all

·
Registered
556 Posts
The lights rule! But you go and catch all you want because the creek run is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Biggest - Sleep? I don't need no stinkin' sleep. Yeah man, its tough to make a decision sometimes when it gets late and you know there's nice fish right in front of the house or if you need to get up early.

Lots of times though I never even drop a line in the water. Its so neat to watch from directly above, like an aquarium. Watching up to 20 or so stripers actively feeding (weakies too) is pretty cool. Watching flounder come up off the bottom to take a baitfish is awesome! You really get some good insight on how they react in different situations, to different baits, at different tide stages, etc. You also learn how the baitfish move and react, so that you can try to mimic them with your lure.

Lots of nights I can't sleep anyway, because the fish are making so much noise breaking water. I lay in bed thinking I should be fishing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts