BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a horrible season this past fall. My wife's Mom finally lost her 4 year battle with breast cancer just before Thanksgiving. With all of the attention on that issue, I was only able to get on the water once or twice since the end of July. :eek:

I talked to my wife over the weekend and said that we should try to get away someplace warm so I can bend a rod and she can lounge around a pool for a few days. At this point, I'm not looking for a world record marlin, or a 12 hour-half way around the world once in a lifetime trip. Just looking for a nice friendly place thats nice and quiet, good food, and where I can get this bent-rod-on-the-brain out of my head.

Thoughts?

MSax

·
Registered
560 Posts
First off, my condolences. I lost my mother two years ago (the day after Christmas) to breast cancer. I didn't fish much either during that time.

Go to the Fl. Keys. Marathon, Islamorada, Key West... Doesn't matter where... its warm, the fishing's great and plenty to do. We went to Hawk's Cay last year and it was awesome!

This year the kid's spring break coincides with Phillies Spring training so we're off to Clearwater for some Phillies games and some fishing for reds, specks and sheepshead in Tampa Bay.

just some options.

·
Registered
319 Posts
MSax,
As past post, sorry for your loss! My wife and I just got back from MX. Hooked up with a real good outfit and stayed at a Now resort. My suggestion is sailfish and mahi, April or May Puerto Adventoras MX. I can forward you the info from the Charter Service we used. Also in MX the rates come considerably down in April and May, Driest months of the year, blue skys, 85 to 90's great beaches and pool and drinks and food. All inclusives will run you about 1600.00 for the week with airfare. Shoot me an email if you like.

Russ

·
Registered
401 Posts
First off, my condolences. I lost my mother two years ago (the day after Christmas) to breast cancer. I didn't fish much either during that time.

Go to the Fl. Keys. Marathon, Islamorada, Key West... Doesn't matter where... its warm, the fishing's great and plenty to do. We went to Hawk's Cay last year and it was awesome!

This year the kid's spring break coincides with Phillies Spring training so we're off to Clearwater for some Phillies games and some fishing for reds, specks and sheepshead in Tampa Bay.

just some options.
i 2nd that florida keys i stayed at hawks cay last year also it was awesome

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a horrible season this past fall. My wife's Mom finally lost her 4 year battle with breast cancer just before Thanksgiving. With all of the attention on that issue, I was only able to get on the water once or twice since the end of July. :eek:

I talked to my wife over the weekend and said that we should try to get away someplace warm so I can bend a rod and she can lounge around a pool for a few days. At this point, I'm not looking for a world record marlin, or a 12 hour-half way around the world once in a lifetime trip. Just looking for a nice friendly place thats nice and quiet, good food, and where I can get this bent-rod-on-the-brain out of my head.

Thoughts?

MSax
MSax,
Sorry for your loss
As far as where to go for a relaxing warm place. It don't get much more laid back than Islamorada and you can stay in the US. Fishing has been good on and off the reef. Plenty of Kings with some Smokers mixed in. The Sails have been good when the weather Co-operates and we have found some nice Mahi lately with one the other day over 25lbs and the others were gaffers. The reef is been good with snappers, alot of grouper around but unfortunately the season is closed for them right now, Back country has been very good as well, with reds, trout, snook, a real mixed bag.
We offer packages with fishing and lodging included and we'd be more than happy to help in any way we can.
Once again you have our condolences for your loss

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Florida is a good choice as already stated.South florida or the keys,a short plane ride and no passport needed,you cant go wrong there.The Sailfish and Kingfish bite has been good the last couple of weeks. Cabo san Lucas ,Puerto Vallarta ,Ixtapa all inexpensive and great fishing.The Sailfish bite off Isla Mujeres/Cancun has been good ,also close and inexpensive. Good luck:)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Puerto Vallarta. I will be making my third trip in as many years shortly. Inshore and offshore.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Costa Rica is a great choice. Pealk sailfish time, ideal weather. About 5 hours from anywhere in the states. In addition to fishing, lots of touridty things to do.
Check out www.tropicalfishing.com/costarica.html for more info.

I had a horrible season this past fall. My
wife's Mom finally lost her 4 year battle with breast cancer just before Thanksgiving. With all of the attention on that issue, I was only able to get on the water once or twice since the end of July. :eek:

Thoughts?

MSax

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Recently stayed at the Dove Creek Lodge in Key Largo. Really liked it. Snappers restaurant is right next door and very good. Charters everywhere in the keys.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
keys is a great, low hassle trip. cheap flights, no passports, no problems.

i like marathon the best, but it depends on what exactly you want. hawks cay seems really nice. i think im going to give it a shot soon.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.