BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Want to take my daughters, 3 and 5, out on the boat Sunday late morning to wet a couple lines in back bay. Any ideas on how I should rig their ultra light spinning rods and where I should go? Home port is Pier 47 in Wildwood.

Anyone who has fished with little kids knows that I don't want to go too far. I was thinking Turtle in N Wildwood but I don't know if I want to go that far. The older one fished last year but I want to give the 3 yr old a try too this time. The key is to go someplace relatively close to Pier 47 using a rig where I am highly likely to catch something, anything, within an hour or so.

Any ideas much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
There should be bluefish in any channel right now and they will hit almost any rig. Try drifting flounder rigs with mackeral strips, you shouuld get some action.

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
Check with chunkin at nobones or cathy at sterling harbor. Probably could chum up some blues somewhere close anchored up. Drifting might be tough with wind/tide considerations.

Dont forget the bug spray,snacks

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'd suggest stopping in or calling on the 21st or 22nd for an update, but...
You can try drifting right down Richarson's Channel. A few flounder have been caught behind the marina and in front of Shawcrest. A twelve pound weakie was caught about a week and a half ago off one of the docks. A shop customer has been nailing the Bluefish on light tackle @ the end of the creek, if anchoring would be easier with the little one. You may even chum up a Striper.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for all the great tips!

Cathy, I will stop by this Sat or Sun. What are your weekend hours?

Thks again!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Snacks,snacks and more snacks is what I bring out for the kids ,have everthing rigged and ready including cutting or prepairing your bait.the more your prepared for the trip with kids the better off you will be.take it from experience it will be less stress on you.if possible try also fishing at anchor[don't have to tend to boat and kids]rather than drifting.I'm pretty sure just about any where in N.J. you don't have to find blues they will find you.good luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
try to find the bird at the inlet! fished there on SUN 05/15/05. Every one had a ball catching 3 to 4 pound blues. take some 3" finess herrings with 1 once jig heads. You have a ball bailing blues and watching smiles!! ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thks 23p, yes plenty of snacks and other prep work a key. CG, I may just head up in direction of inlet, it sounds like jigging for blues should bring us something. Cathy, roger on the jackets, one spongebob, one tazmanian devil. I'll try to stop in Sat pm, how late you open?

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
JUST LOOK FOR DROP POINTS... AND FISH THEM FLOUNDER ARE TO BE HAD... WITH THE WATER WAYS SO SMALL THERE ARE FISH ALL OVER.... 1/2 OUNCE WHITE JIG HEAD WITH GREEN OR RED SQUID STRIPS PRO CUT

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Right in front of Schooner Island has been real active with flounder and blues. The best part is that with little kids you don't have to worry about boat wakes. It's marinas and homes on both sides so it's a no wake area.

The best rig we have been using is a top and bottom rig with shiners for bait. Most tackle shops carry them right now. They are always a hot bait this time of year because there are so many baby herring in the back. Right now it's the size and shape target that fish are keying on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts