BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you guys think of this fly? I was in my shop carving lures and thought I would try to turn one of my smaller wood lures into a spearing fly pattern. I carved it from Maple (tried Balsa but didn't work out). It is 1/2" high x 1/2" thick x 3" long and weighs in at 1/8 oz. on a 3/0 Mustad. I haven't tried in out yet, but I'm thinking I should be able to toss it with my 10 wt. I will start there and move down to my 9 and then I will try it out on my 8. I figure that will be the lightest weight I can use.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Very interesting lure. To answer your question "What do you guys think of this fly." Sorry but I do not think it is a fly. Nicely done though. You obviously have tons of skill.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Interesting idea. You won't know it if works until ya use it. Regarding balsa, I have never tried using it for lures but I have some old Bagley's that are balsa. They have a different feel than any other plugs...something you can feel when you hold them. The finish on them is awesome but I can't speak to their strength as I haven't had any fish on them. I'm going to look into balsa plug making because it is so easy to work with carving and sanding. Been building balsa model airplanes for 10 years and have lots of scrap.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Hard to say. I know where Ron is coming from when he says it is not a fly, but with all the new materials guys are using, it is hard to argue. A crease fly is almost like that. It is molded over a hook. Also what is a clouser but a mini bucktail and epoxy flies are plastic over a hook. Then there is gummy flies. What is a fly and what is not a fly could be a real debate. More traditional fly anglers just like more natural or flowing materials that give life to a fly.

Looking at your Fly-plug or what ever. I would say either a single hook up at the nose, as stripers take their baits head first or out the back for those, like blues that attack from the back. Give it a try see how it works and go from there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting lure. To answer your question "What do you guys think of this fly." Sorry but I do not think it is a fly. Nicely done though. You obviously have tons of skill.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually in agreement. When you have to ask yourself multiple times while making the fly in question... "how can I make this light enough to cast", it's probably not gonna go as planned.:D Not to mention that there wasn't really any tying involved. What it really comes down too, is that I like this pattern I sketched up and I figured I'll never know if I don't give it a whirl.:) Thanks for the compliment anyway.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to say. I know where Ron is coming from when he says it is not a fly, but with all the new materials guys are using, it is hard to argue. A crease fly is almost like that. It is molded over a hook. Also what is a clouser but a mini bucktail and epoxy flies are plastic over a hook. Then there is gummy flies. What is a fly and what is not a fly could be a real debate. More traditional fly anglers just like more natural or flowing materials that give life to a fly.

Looking at your Fly-plug or what ever. I would say either a single hook up at the nose, as stripers take their baits head first or out the back for those, like blues that attack from the back. Give it a try see how it works and go from there.
Ray, Thanks for the backup. I appreciate it. However, I think Grey makes a good point. Next time I design a pattern to be lure...I should leave it a lure.:D It was also very time consuming to make. Took me approx. an hour to do one.:eek: But then again I still think this pattern has some potential. Maybe I should try to make it out of foam or something like that. I'm sure that the foam thing has already been done 50 x, but I will keep playing around with it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting idea. You won't know it if works until ya use it. Regarding balsa, I have never tried using it for lures but I have some old Bagley's that are balsa. They have a different feel than any other plugs...something you can feel when you hold them. The finish on them is awesome but I can't speak to their strength as I haven't had any fish on them. I'm going to look into balsa plug making because it is so easy to work with carving and sanding. Been building balsa model airplanes for 10 years and have lots of scrap.
Moose, I think your are gonna find Balsa a little to soft and light for anything saltwater. I gave it a couple of tries and found myself adding so much ballast that it wasn't really worth the time and effort. I personally won't go any softer than Cedar and even that is usually too light to suite my purposes. Don't let me discourage you from trying it though. I'm the farthest thing from a wood lure expert.:)

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
This post could start an interesting debate. When does a creation, thrown on a fly line, cross over to being a "lure". There are and have been in the past, "fly's" that have wood components. There are fly's with steel propellers. There are fly's that are almost completely silicone rubber.

I have ultra light Rapalas that I could definetly throw with my ten weight. It's still a lure however. Although, is not a fly a lure?

If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? :D

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Hopefully no debate. If you are there when that tree falls & you make a statement & your wife doesn't hear it---your still wrong. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Definitely no need for a debate. I just ran down the pond with my 10wt and tried it out. I'm calling this one a lure. The thing casts like a 1/2 oz. lead sinker. Had a real nice action to it though. The only way it may work is if it was at least a 1/2" shorter and carved from Balsa.

In the end, it didn't matter how good or bad it worked because it fell off my fly patch while I was fishing another fly.:( Sometimes it doesn't pay to crush the barb.:rolleyes: Glad I took a picture of it. It sure didn't last long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.