BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Kinda new here. I have an opportunity to fish the mid-west coast of Florida next week. I'll be surf fishing. Last time down I fished bait. I have limited time- limited space (flying down).
QUESTION- I'd like to use my collection of lures I have for fishing for stripers in NJ/DE. I have a good sized variety of lures/teasers/jigs and plastics that most of you use.
I could sure use any input to narrow down my choices.
If any of you have fished the Clearwater-St Pete area- this time of year with any of these striper atrificials and could help me out-I'd sure appreciate it.
I met a few of you guys at Taylors party. I signed up after that. I'm usually fishing behind OC in either a Silver Cherokee or a Maroon Astro conversion van.
Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well the first time i went down to florida i talked to the locals and they told me to jus use shrimp, i was like diapointed cause i brought all of my tackle. I did well on the shrimp but i starterd just testing my other lures that worked here and i did well on some of them. The second time i went down i only brought a few lures, the ones i had confidence in. So what im saying is bring the things you have the most confidnce in. If you realize you need something that you forgot or didnt have you can just go to a local baitshop or something. Hope this helps

·
Registered
399 Posts
Gator,

I wish I could help you with the type of bait they?re using over on the Gulf in the surf. It?s been a long time since I?ve last fished over there. Here in NE FL shrimp is the preferred bait (the fresher the better, live best) for fishing in the surf.

Suggest you bring down a small selection of artificials and give them a try. Maybe something will work. Otherwise, you can always switch over to live bait.

Here?re a couple links that might be helpful to you. Best wishes and have a nice trip.

http://www.floridasaltwater.com/how_to/index.htm

http://www.floridasaltwater.com/baitfish/index.htm

http://www.floridasaltwater.com/gamefish/index.htm

ls

·
Registered
121 Posts
plastics works well i keep it on the small side like 4in. top water and some divers work as well allways have a gold spoon for the reds. other fish trout /weakfish a little smaller down there .and snook one of my favrets i do well with plugs and plastics and come to think of it top water to.you can go up in size if biger fish are around. oh and tarpon will take about anything when they are feeding. including rubber worms like 9in twisters in black.chunking works well for tarpon to. or just about any live bait you can get on a hook. like grunt pinfish or mullet you do not have to buy bait it cost to much . just bring some small hooks or a net.shrimp are a must you may have to buy them. but you may get them with a net at nite. hope this helps ;) frank. ps i do my best snook/tarpon fishing at nite but do get them in the daytime to. it's just to hot this time of year in the daytime for me.and like lost sole said floridasportsman.com has a great forum a ton of info.good luck :cool:

[ 06-20-2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: fishnjbass ]

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I,ve been sucessful with bait-you can't really go wrong with live bait.
Just with flying- I can't bring all of the bait "stuff" with me. And in the 10 yrs since I last fished (bait) in Fla- I aquired a great amount of artificials for stripes & weakies.
I have my heart set on fishing artificials. I have a good selection of the lures that produce in NJ & DE. And I will fish mullet-pinfish & shrimp imitations. Other than those colors I would like if you could help me narrow down or select some favorite patterns in:
bombers
mega baits
yozuri
mambos
mirror lures
bucktails
plastics
teasers
The suggestion for smaller lures helped to this end. I'm going to bring a few of each. I know fishing changes......... I have too many choices for such limited space. The basic bait imitations are going. BUT if anyone would like to offer something like: " surf fishing in W Fla I got a few___ on blurple 4" bombers" or "the fish seemed to faqvor lighter colored___".
Not asking for any real secrets. Just some suggestions from past experience. I'm leaving around 4am Mondat 21. Got 'em all laid out to pack.
Once again thanks for any input.
Greg

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just a note.
In Florida you need a liscense for fishing. Even from the beach.
I fish around Naples Fl. and they have a fishing pier which you dont need a liscense for but to fish from the beach you will need a liscense.

Good Luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
hay rob i caught my first snook on that pier.allso caught some reds off it .was fliper and family there and beging for fish when you were there.nice place. ;) frank

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Gator,
I would have to go with MirrOlures,whether
your target is Snook,Redfish,SeaTrout or Tarpon
down in Florida they have the Lure for you....
MirrOlures

Good Luck and Have A Great Trip....

[ 06-21-2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts