BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,274 Posts
3- day and 3- night or 3 day/night substitutes most 3 packs are day/night check the label and expiration date. If you don't wish to carry flares then a orange distress flag (black ball and black square)for day and a s.o.s. distress light (... --- ...) for night.

· Registered
6,924 Posts
From the USCG Aux site....hope it helps..here's the link​

http://www.safetyseal.net/what_is_vsc.asp
Item 4 - Visual Distress Signals (VDS):
Recreational boats 16 feet and over used on coastal waters or the Great Lakes are required to carry a minimum of either 1) three day and three night pyrotechnic devices, 2) one day non-pyrotechnic device (flag) and one night non-pyrotechnic device (auto SOS light) or 3) a combination of 1) and 2). Recreational boats less than 16 feet on coastal waters or the Great Lakes need only carry night visual distress signals when operating from sunset to sunrise.
It is recommended, but not required, that boats operating on inland waters should have some means of making a suitable day and night distress signal. The number and type of signals is best judged by considering conditions under which the boat will be operating. Alternatives to pyrotechnic devices (flares) include:
Night / Day
Strobe light/ Signal mirror
Flashlight/ Red or orange flags
Lantern/ Hand signals

The easiest to fullfill the requirement is a 3 pack of handheld flares or 3 pack of skyblazer aerial flares....look at the expiration date and make sure it's at least 3 years away so you get your money's worth....

· Registered
31,669 Posts
hmm. learn something new all the time. i assumed it was mandatory to carry flares no matter what safety equipment you have.
so if i carry a signal mirror and the distress flag and flashlight,which i do, along with dye packs for the water ,and red smoke devices and my flares are expired,there is no problem from the marine police if they decide to do a safety check while in the deleware bay?

· Registered
39,867 Posts
hmm. learn something new all the time. i assumed it was mandatory to carry flares no matter what safety equipment you have.
so if i carry a signal mirror and the distress flag,which i do along with dye packs for the water and my flares are expired,there is no problem from the marine police if they decide to do a safety check while in the deleware bay?
Nope.... I got boarded a few times for checks. They said they did not need to see flares :huh:

· Registered
6,800 Posts
Yeah, get me started on Flares...

Those handheld road flares they sell for marine use should be outlawed........................................................ Hell they drip slag while you are holding them. God forbid you didn't slop a little fuel down the side of the boat the last time you fueled up.. Melting fiberglass while you are waving one at passing boats..

Sky Blazers or any other type of launch flare is what you want. Sky Blazers are all oring sealed. They launch to 500ft. That's one pant load better than something you wave in your hand standing on the deck of your boat.. Three flares??? Yes it will get you legal, but a 6-9 or even dozen of them would make me feel better when the sun is going down and your engine won't twist the prop..

Oring sealed is another key point.. Yes, they might run out of date to be legal, but sealed right they will still fire when they are ten yrs old..

Those damn road flares if any mositure gets near them they turn into mush..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.