BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Manyunk and literally a 5 minute walk from the Schuykill River.

When do you start targeting them?
What kind of terminal tackle do you need?
What's the best rod and reel set up for these things?
What are the best baits to use?

I'm gonna catch me one of these things this year.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well i dont no much about flatheads. But.... I was told that live gill is a very good bait choice. Also suckers and watnot. And u want a pretty hefty rod. I only hooked one in my life and it was on a live gill and it flatout owned me and broke ,y line. That when i went to cabelas and got myself a King Kat rod.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Like Ken said mid to the end of may is when it gets wide open.....If your fishing from the bank....beef it up and fish heavy. If your fishing from a boat you can get away with less led and a lighter leader and hook. ALWAYS...ALWAYS have a live bait out......but do not over look cut bait, FRESH cut.....pull it out of the live well still frisky and cut em up...it is the only way to fish cut! A standard striper float rig with enough led is a great tool.....the float rig can and will produce....put out a spread. You know i really didnt fish much last year...a divorce will do that to a fella. This year is going to be back to putting a beating on em. If you want to fish flatheads.....get good at making bait, have a few good places to get good bait! I figure 2 guys a typical outing will take 24-30 baits for a night of fishing. We prefer creek chubs in the 5-7" range, mix in some sunnies and blue gills in the 3-5" range and we got ourself a good bucket of bait going,....put out cut, a float, ,live sunnie, cut blue gill....mix it up and let them tell you what they want....trust me a pattern will emerge and key in on it. By boat it is much easier....what Ken does from the bank is amazing i really have to give it to the man.....If we go an hour without a bite...we are moving on. Structure.....they key in on it, a steep bank close to shore, the edges of mid river flats produce most of our fish over 30 lbs....water that goes from 3' to 6' has been our ticket.....going to put alot more time in this year and 40 lbs is just the beginning, .....many mid 30 lb fish over the years and we never had to break anchor for any of them....not even close, 2 times we had to chase them....2 times we got heart broken....the ones we cant stop are the ones that keep us going back!

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I LIVE NEAR THE SCHUYLKILL RIVER MYSELF AND I ALWAYS CATCH THEM IN MY SPOTS, I ALWAYS USE 30LB BRAID, SLIDE WEIGHT, WITH A 4' 12LB MONO LEITER, WITH A 7' ST. CROIX, AND A FLEUGER PRESIDENTIAL SET UP AND MY LARGEST WAS 41LBS 39 1/2" ON A LIVE SUN FISH!!!.:thumbsup:
Got pics? Are you just overestimating a fish like most do? I've done my research and a 40lb fish is difficult even out in the western part of the state where they are native.

·
Registered
513 Posts
No lies, midvale ave and you will see!

Got pics? Are you just overestimating a fish like most do? I've done my research and a 40lb fish is difficult even out in the western part of the state where they are native.
:eek:NO I DON'T LIE ALL MY FISH WERE DIGITALLY WEIGHED AND MEASURED BY A SCALE I CARRY ALWAYS WITH ME, NOW COULD IT BE A LITTLE OFF BECAUSE ITS NOT AN OFFICIAL SCALE YES BUT I HAVE HAD IT TESTED AND ITS PRETTY GOOD, AND THE 20 OR SO ON MY WALLS WERE WEIGHED BY BAIT STORES OFFICIALLY, GAME COMMISSION AWARDS FROM 3 STATES, 19 TIMES IN THE NJ FISHERMEN OR PHILLY INQUIRE, I AM A REAL FISHERMAN I FOLLOW ALL RULES AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE AND WHY SAY YOU COUGHT SOMETHING IF YOU DID NOT! BY BUDDY JERRYS BEST FRIEND COUGHT ONE LAST YEAR AT LEAST 30-35LBS AND I COUGHT ONE IN 07 THAT WAS 37LBS:thumbsup:MIDVALE AVE /LIVE SUN FISH AND YOU WILL CATCH ONE TOO! I HAVE SEEN AT LEAST A DOZEN FLATTIES OVER 30 LBS PULLED OUT OF THERE OR BETWEEN THE LOCKS AND THE ART MUSEUM.:bow:THEY ARE NATIVE TO THE DELAWARE RIVER AND SCHUYLKILL TOO MY GRANDFATHER SAID HE COUGHT THEM IN THE 40'S MY DAD SAID HE COUGHT THEM IN THE 60 AND 70'S TOO!

·
Registered
389 Posts
That whole area is pretty beat up. I have found closer to the dam in the deeper water better for the biggins in the city or up around Blackrock dam. Those are the areas I like to go. The city is just way to pressured anymore. I personally think that the further up river you go the better chance you have at a biggin. I got my 2 biggest lastyear, upriver from Blackrock. That's why I need to get a boat.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That whole area is pretty beat up. I have found closer to the dam in the deeper water better for the biggins in the city or up around Blackrock dam. Those are the areas I like to go. The city is just way to pressured anymore. I personally think that the further up river you go the better chance you have at a biggin. I got my 2 biggest lastyear, upriver from Blackrock. That's why I need to get a boat.
hey kenlaw i was wondering do you ever catch them monster flatheads at flat rock park right off of the gladwyne exit ?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't fish around there to much. Just when I meet up with someone who fishes that area. I have never caught a biggin around Flatrock dam. I like to fish off the beaten path. The trick is to fish where others haven't. I am going to do more fishing on the Delaware just cause there is so much pressure on the Skuke.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
now that they put in a fish ladder at black rock its gonna be like a swim thru take out for the flatties :nuts:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am sure that there are a few there to but I find it better up farther. It is better to drive a little longer and get where the fish aren't as pressured. That way you have a better night fishing. That is everyones problem. They are affraid to drive 10-20 min more to get to where the better fishing is. That is where I capitalize at. I know where almost all the hard core guys fish and I find spots that they don't fish. It makes no point to fish where other fish when it comes to Flatheads. The best advice I can give is find your own spots. Those are where I get my best fish. Last year I got 2 over #35 on my first cast at a spot I never fished before. Last year one of my buddies got a #16 channel above Blackrock and I had some nights where I got 30+ channels a night #5-#12.

·
Registered
972 Posts
you can catch big flats from the tidal section far up into montgomery county. night is better, but you can catch em 24/7. conditions and where youre at dictate where and when the fish will be active, best thing to do is put in a lot of time on the water, as in any kind of fishing... still tryinta figure these fish out myself. Just remember to throw em back after you catch a big one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
thanks for all the info guys im deff going to try the skuke out proabbly in late april and may for these flat heads i wanted to try for them last year but never got around to it im in the middle of saving up for a good down payment on a boat i know there is a public launch at flat rock park but im not sure if there is any other ones on the skuke further up river im sure i could just launch at flat rock and take a nice boat ride up but i here that there are alot of rocks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.