BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Your first post. Welcome.

The only reports I've heard about, were at the Fortesque Beach. There were some "shorts" caught. The water temperature is still too cold for the migratory stripers. In my opinion the water temperature has to get to at least 45 degrees before you'll see any appreciable action.:huh:

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
who knows what this NE storm with the New Moon tide will do to the bay- its a 50/50 chance that it will be either a good or bad for the first signs of the spring run but the extended forecast does have some SUNNY mid 60 degree days on what looks like Thurs and Friday but thats ways from now and that forecast can change. Wind is my factor- if I can get a nice CALM day after about 3-4 calm/mild days of no rain or blow then I might give her a shot. I'm itching to go but I'm not going to jump the gun on the first nice day due to cabin fever plus for some reason I can never get the spring run down (I always miss them whether in the lower bay/ upper bay/ lower river or upper river, I'm always fishing in the right areas at the WRONG times)- trial and error + practice and a fish'n journal make perfect.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Last fall (2009) a series of wicked noreaters pushed a ton of migrating bunker into the bay and initiated a terrific run of striped bass that pursued these bunker right into the bay. Noreasters tend to be fish moving winds in both the offshore and inshore scenarios. The El Nino effect that is still present and warming the equatorial waters in the Pacific is still generating these storms that come to our west coast, move over out southern waters, picking up moisture from the gulf and bringing the moisture and northeast winds to our area.

The stripers that were born in our Delaware River complex will be returning this spring to spawn. This is not the huge mass of fish we see in the fall, as these are fish that were reared in many of the east coast spawning areas.

The water temps are a bit cold and the main mass of migrators may not be near enough for this storm to blow them in the bay. If not, they will be here very soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.