BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out to the Fingers at 7:00am. Set up 7 lines with the usual spread. Trolled for seven hours with NOTHING. The black fies were unreal.I ruined my favorite fishing hat from swatting the flies all day. The conditions were perfect. Blue water 79-80 degrees 1-2' seas. I was nice being out there but the happiest guy was the owner of the fuel dock. Where are the fish??!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was out there on Saturday for a full day of trolling. I had to switch up the spread a few times and ended with a big blue fish and 3 dolphin on the day, had an inexperienced bunch on the boat and lost 3 more at the boat. They went for red/white and purple/white feathers. Sorry for the late post but don't have a computer at the beach.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did you ever wonder how many billions of them get blown offshore only to meet a watery grave and there are always billions more to take their place? Can you imagine if they didn't get blown offshore?

Don't you like the way they ALWAYS go for the ankles, even through socks? Damn things are fast and you end up missing swatting them most of the time only to be attacked again by the same fly on the same ankle in the same place! I don't know about others but my ankles are on fire in a short time. Even Deep Woods Off doesn't seem to deter them! Unlike greenheads you don't often get the satisfaction of smashing them when bitten, but when you do it's Ecstasy! Why does nature always seem to find a way to ruin a glorious day?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Always Have A Pair Of Long Pant's.just Keep Heading Offshore Till Fuel Runs Out Or They Die. I Hate Them Little Suckers.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
They were out in full force at the Lillian on Sat. Unfortunately Mr. Mako was not. Wasn't so surprised they were a mile off Spring Lake yesterday.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was at the North Fingers sunday at 4:45am, had one strike on a WWB green machine splash bar at 5:15am, and marked some big fish deep at 60 feet. No hookup. By the way the drag screamed on my 30, I'm thinking bluefin, but that's just a guess. Didnt hear of or see any hookups. Few schools of tinker mackeral (I think) were the only signs of life out there. Central and South was barren. We trolled from 4:45am, worked central and south until around noon. Nothing except flies,flies, and more flies. Then picked up and headed for B.Ridge. Tried clark spoons on drails, rainbow and purple squid splash bars, green machine bird bars, blue squid daisy chain, blue feathers. Few small bonito at the ridge on the clarks, and a million fly bites was it. If not for the flies, the near skunk wouldnt have felt so bad. They just diminished the crews motivation, thought I'd have a mutiny, so headed in at 3pm.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Guys,

The flies were everywhere. They DO NOT like avon "skin so soft". That was the only thing I had in the boat, but it worked as my ankels were getting chewed up through my socks.

My neighbors were at the 40 Fingers yesterday and they managed 5 Yellowfin around 30-35 pounds. I am not sure what they hit on, but they typically drag rigged ballyhoos/sea witch skirts. They left the dock at midnight and were out there at first light. I don't have any details, but talked to them on the radio on their way in yesterday.

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
They had my gang in the Wilmington as well I opted to melt in my jeans rather than part with the flesh and hemoglobin to those little beasts. Tough fighting fish with them gnawing at your calfs!:eek:

·
Registered
690 Posts
The flies were awful out at the Tom's too. We had a fly swatter. That was key! You can get them any other way.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
BIGGESTJACK said:
Always Have A Pair Of Long Pant's.just Keep Heading Offshore Till Fuel Runs Out Or They Die. I Hate Them Little Suckers.
we had a fat guy on board with that axe body spray on. He was better then long pants,they bothered him all day and left the rest of the crew alone:D

·
Registered
500 Posts
does anything work on those flies?

The only thing we could get to work was skin so soft. We tried listerine in a spray bottle. The skin so soft was the only thing that worked and that was for a short time only. Does anyone know of anything that keeps these suckers from biting.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
We had them on the OC reef on Saturday for our bottom fishing trip. Must have killed 50 or so. Those bastards are smart when the boat starts moving they know to get somewhere out of the wind and hold on. Electronics box was one of there favorite spots to hide. Might try bathing in Acetone before next trip.

·
Registered
548 Posts
well maybe thats the one thing about my trip that wasn't bad we only ran into a couple of dem dare black flies:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts