BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting started saltwater flyfishing and I was wondering what flies to use in the surf. I have been plugging the beaches for a few years and thought I would try something new. I would appreciate any info.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If I look at my flybox and squint the main color I see is chartreuse. Not sure if that's me or the fish that like it but it seems to work...

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I don't do that much from the beach but you can't loose with chartreuse. Yellow, Pink and Black flies seem to be good colors. If it looks like a baitfish you can't go wrong. Many guys do well with crab flies, but that is out of my league. Location of where you are fishing is more important. Look for a drop off or and area with a rip, something that give you an advantage and look for bait in the water.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
What Brian said

·
Registered
549 Posts
blue/white deceivers
chartruese/white deceivers
half/half clouser deceiver
epoxy sandeel
sliders
peanut bunker pattern
big bunker pattern
thinly tied silver/ultra hair clousers
Siliclone mullet imitation
Poppers
Sea Ducer

Most of these flys have produced fish on any given occasion. There are plenty of sites that offer tying instructions. All in all you throw what you have confidence in. I usually plug most of the time but sometimes when it is nice and calm you just can't help your self to take the flyrod out. 9 times out of 10 the wind will die down toward dusk so you can fish both sides of a jetty with no problems.

P.S. Get yourself a stripping basket for your flyline, it will save countless times when your line gets wrapped around your feet or some rock.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I see what you mean about the stripping basket. I had my line wrapped around my feet and caught up in my surf bag. Its my next purchase!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by Weekender:
Thanks for the info. I see what you mean about the stripping basket. I had my line wrapped around my feet and caught up in my surf bag. Its my next purchase!
The LL Bean basket is very nice and half the cost of the Orvis one.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Since we are coming up on the mullet run, a deceiver with a little blue in it often works well, but you really can't go wrong with a all white either - 2 to 4 inches is perfect. I use clousers in the surf in the waves and foam when I need to get it down a little. Same lenghts as above. I've stripped my poppers down cutting back most of the bucktail and removing all tinsel and adornments. I like a cut of white foam on a hook with a tuft of hair - you can even see the hook running thru the body from underneath on mine. 2 to 3 inches in lenght and fished more like a slider but with a little pop here and there. Crab patterns work great in a calm surf, fished just past the last waves and should be drifted. Florida patterns work, anything that looks like a scarlet lady "calico" at an inch or two round is perfect.

4 flies are all that is needed.

[ 08-04-2005, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Ardmore Bill ]

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Originally posted by KeysKid:
The LL Bean basket is very nice and half the cost of the Orvis one. [/QB][/QUOTE]

for the price it's hard to beat and I have
and use one.

sometimes I miss not having a deeper basket
like my home made one but overall very good.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Even Cheaper goto CVS and get a Rubbermaid dish pan and a bungee cord. Total cost around $5 bucks. Drill some holes in the bottom for water drainage and put some 200lb test "fingers" in the bottom. Cut holes to fit the mono "fingers" and take a lighter to seat them to the bottom of the dishpan. 10 rows of 200lb test mono around 6 inches high 10 "fingers" to a row. This will keep your line from tangling up in it self. Some guys use plastic cones on the bottom. Either way you have a cheap basket that will do the job.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ha Frank!

Well, I didn't say I don't own a ton of flies or exhibit fly Ho tendencies, hahahaha. But, I am down to carrying one small box, stuffed to the gills, with flies on my waist belt.

Seriously though, I do only use just a handful of flies mostly.

For stripping baskets, I do like the mini stoargae containers with all the slits in the side for surf fishing both for small size and water shedding abilities

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I hear ya there Bill...
I often tie a fly in a certain size for a certain size line and rod. ...fly ho??? That must be like a plug ho!
If that is the case, you are correct.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Bill:
Only 3 flies needed for the surf, deceiver and clouser and popper, in multiple colors and sizes. I may have a trillion flies, but 99% are just the dcvr and clsr varients, and the other 1% are randoms and poppers.

A true crab fly is not really needed, though is a nice treat to mix things up. I sure like fishing with them, that's for sure, but it's not a necessity. A fluffy clouser will catch just as well when they are on crabs.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Questions:

1. What is(are) your favorite peanut bunker / bunker pattern(s)?

What are the key elements? size? profile?
eyes? color?

What size (length and profile) do you
normally buy/tie?

2. What is (are) your favorite mullet pattern(s)?

-- Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts