BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i need some help i am very new to saltwater fly fishing and i dont know what flies to use... i went out this morning and fishe were everywere blitzing the surface yet i could noot get one, any advice and i cant cast to bulky of flies becuase i have a 7 weight
thx

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
TW Clousers & deceivers. Chart. & white. Maybe a popper if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You want to be able to offer a little bit of everything... Top, Mid, Bottom...

Get some poppers or floating flies. (I have a nice crab that stays no lower than 6" below the surface.)

Get some Mid flies... (Deceivers have only a small sink rate if they are tied with a lot of bucktail and no heavy epoxy/lead wrap... etc.)

Get some fast sink flies (Bottom flies). Good flies are the always popular clouser and the jiggy. Get a variety of sizes/weights. A clouser with small eyes will react/catch completely different from a clouser with big eyes. (Eye generally = weight in a clouser)

Finally, just have relax and practice casting. Your timing with a heavy clouser will be very different from your timing with a light, but bulky popper. Practice makes better (Not perfect)...

Also, don't worry about all those "Specialized" flies. you don't need every fly in the shop to catch a fish, the 5 i've mentioned will compose 75% or more of your fishing time...

Basic 5:
Popper
Floater/other (I think of "Non-popping" poppers)
Decievers
Clousers
Jiggy

Hope I helped, I'm still learning too.

Cya
GoNavy

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
TW, Sparse and Go Navy gave good information. When fish are blitzing it is usually easy to get a strike. Are you sure they were bass and blues and not herring on the surface? If herring they will only take small thin flies. If bass or blues, I would think any kind of deceiver would work. I would try intermediate line or sinking to get down a bit. Blitzing fish are usually not too fussy. I would give anything to see some blitzing fish. Haven't even seen any bait period in a while.

your 7 wt should work. Like Go Navy said. Some practice and you should be able to get better casts. Good Luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
trout -let me come with you to see these breakers and we can pick out some flie together. yes i am a fish whore. seriously start out tying estaz wooly buggers in white ,chartuese ,olive and black. weight some with eyes and vary the amount of flash and material. these are easy to tie and are effective.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try off the Avalon beach in the afternoon. Had acres of bass busting onn the surface late in the afternoon. Intermediate line with a white deceiver will almost always work in this condition.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx much and anyway capemayray they were all bass and some blues, they were almost jumpingout of the water, but they were relly moving around fast once i got a cast to them they would be 30 feet away

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Troutwiz, I will have to keep on the lookout. Maybe there is still some hope of more fly fishing this season. Didn't even take a look today, used the nice weather to put up the Christmas lights, but will check out the beach tomorrow for shore.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Troutwiz call your dad tonight!!!!!!!! Just a note Trout wiz is my 12 year old son who currently fishes on our 27 opencontender .He has fished many ASAbass touneys and is a very good fisherman who at his age has allready caught tarpon , redfish and many stripers in the 20 to 25 lb class. I have no intrest in fly fishing but he is hooked so any help for him is apreciated

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
...Good advice from above, but let me intraject...Rod size and line weight will not make a fish bite, but the size of fly that a 7 wt can deliver can is much smaller than that a ten wt can punch through the wind...
Size, profile and color seem to make a the most difference. The fish will still prefer yellow or chartreuce as it seems these color stand out from the school.
Retreive speed and type are HUGE!!
Water column presentation is big as well, butin specialized situations....
In schooling fish such as yours, it is about as easy as it gets! . Now if you want to pull a cow from under the school? Try a heavy sinking line and an eel fly well behind the main school. Techniques and tackle are different, but the fish and the habits remain the same.
We are here to help! If you have a question, just ask!!
ps...My twelve year old fished with me every day off on our boat untill he began going to school. These days he goes toggin with me every so often, but Ice Hockey keeps us all very busy... They are the greatest joy and pride in our lives. If I can ever help, just ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts